Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Specials for Shooters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

Just checked out the spec of the NV monocular.
    It's a gen 1 but no spec on the IRI (infrared illuminator)
    Anybody using anything similar and if so what is the effective range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

Is This Thing Turned On?????

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Depends on the unit but generally on a overcast night you'll a man sized object out to about 75 meters. With a full moon that could stretch to about one hundred or one fifty if conditions are very good. If you looking for smaller objects you'd better have as much light as possible, be it visible or infrared.

Also the intensifier tubes tend to be very short lived leaving you with an expensive paper weight.

Generation 1 NV is fourty year old technology and it shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hi Sputnik,

What is the expected life span of one of those tubes? And do you mind me asking how you know? Considering getting one but I hear mixed press.

Thanks,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I've a gen one for for over 10 years and still going strong.
    (actually I've had 3 in my lifetime I sold em thinking they were useless
    and later got the urge to buy one again)

They are not great and more of a gimmick and quite honestly those Camcorders that are IR sensitive are actually better. Vegeta borrowed mine before
    for some lamping and he seemed to like it.
    Defo recommend an extra illuminator as well as the internal one
    that comes with it. They are useless/crap with ONLY ambient light.

Cheap extra IR source one is here:
    http://www.rsov.com/product_info.php?products_id=1292
    Have not got a clue if its any good but its so cheap ya cant go wrong.

Also as I posted on the airsoft board there are also Glow sticks you can
    buy which emit invisible IR light that the Nightvision will pick up.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-INFRA-RED-150mm-x-15mm-FIREFLY-GLOW-STICKS_W0QQitemZ230167130924QQihZ013QQcategoryZ117111QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

~B

• Advertisement

Hi Bullets,

Those glo-sticks, forgive the dumb question, do they emit visable as well as IR light? Or just IR light?

Thanks,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

johngalway wrote: »
    Hi Bullets,

Those glo-sticks, forgive the dumb question, do they emit visable as well as IR light? Or just IR light?

Thanks,

John

As far as I know Just IR non-visable to the human eye light
    for the ones I posted the link to. The others emit visible light.

I'm gonna buy some next pay check once I got
    my Visa bill paid.

You can get the IR red really high intensity visible light ones too
    but they tend to only last for a few mins.

One thing I will say is that The Night vision Gen1 equipment
    is excellent for picking up discretely ie without spooking animal
    eye reflections while looking through it with the IR source turned on.
    (But the downfall is that they ruin your natural eyes nightvision
    so could be more trouble that they are worth if your wandering around
    the country side at night)

~B.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

johngalway wrote: »
    Hi Bullets,

I've used them before and they look compleatly inert to the naked eye. We thew one out in to a field and couldnt find it untill we used the NV. They look like a normal green light stick would to the naked eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

I've a gen one for for over 10 years and still going strong.

How often have you used it? Tube life for a gen 1 is supposed to be in and around 1500 hours.

And do you mind me asking how you know? Considering getting one but I hear mixed press.

I've owned a few over the years and I've used them with the army. The last time was on Saturday night to be exact. Nothing like red tracer fire at night to give you that Christmas feeling.

If you can afford it get a low end gen 2 device. Even the cheapest will a huge jump. If you can't afford that just be aware that you'll probably be disappointed with the performance of a gen 1.

Have to agree Gen 1 is muck, the novalty of it wears off after about 10 mins. All the later stuff is much more impressive, buyt comes with a price tag...

• Advertisement

I've found something more interesting, yet more expensive :rolleyes: online, let ye know later on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Is there a squeal of them like the Old Trilux sights, you can hear it about 5 metres from the sight

I'm going for a Yukon Digital Ranger night vision monocular, there are some bits of footage about it on YouTube and I know a few lads in the UK that use them, seem to be worth the price.

How much is the dammage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

It's 300 sterling here

I'll be ordering from here. I know firsthand their customer service (I also bought an MTC Viper rifle scope from them earlier this year). Little story..

All Rangers are not made equal. I bought one from the states on Ebay. Turns out it's an older model advertised as the newer one which contains an upgraded Sony CCD chip. The guy off that site above stayed up until after 4am night before last, talking me through the difference between the two units. Even though I had already bought from another seller, and hadn't the money for a second unit if I couldn't return the first. Now, you may think me gullable relying on him, but I confirmed the info from Yukon and also from a number of other sources :) I now have agreed with the initial seller to return the unit for a full refund :) Tell me where else would you get customer support by email or phone at 4am?

When I get my refund money back I'll be ordering mine. I've already had a pm of interest about another. If anyone else is genuinely interested perhaps we could order at the same time and get a few quid off?

The units are digital, so won't be harmed by light like a NV unit with intensifier tube can be. There are clips on YouTube to se them in action. They're not really suitable for using behind a scope (even though the ratting clip shows it scope mounted) incase anyone is thinking that. It's a focus issue to do with the mounting, focus is very important for NV at different ranges. The rabbit clips on Ebay were done by a guy I know in the UK.

If you go out to buy one on your own, please please be aware you may be buying an older version, the seller may not even know themselves.

Advertisement