Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to set up company?

Options
  • 03-12-2007 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I am hoping someone can help or advise me, I have searched on the net but cant find the info I am after.

My situation is, I will be setting up a company that will be doing 100% of its business in the UK but will be importing 100% of it product (to start with) from the Republic, dealing with an Irish company.

I am a resident in both countries and can set up a business in both, but am unsure as to which I should do so in.

I hope thats clear and that someone can give any kind of advice.

Thanks all in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

www.cro.ie

will be your first stop in Ireland anyway, costs 100 euro to set up a company.

Sorry, can't advise on the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Cheers keefg, I know how to go about setting up in each country its just I guess I am wondering whats best given the importing or exporting.

Was wondering if anyone else on here has or is in the same position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

First off to set up a company in Ireland you must be resident in the state for 183 days per year. So it would all depend if you plan to stay in Ireland full time.

Ireland probably is a cheaper place to do business, however you have to think of the exchange rate and the fact that your customers are located in the UK. Any problems with your product could require you to visit your customers site and that could prove costly if you were operating out of Ireland.

Its hard to weigh up the options when we don't know the ins and outs of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Thanks stepbar, I would be living here full time, and have a partner based in the UK full time so as for any problems arising I would have someone that end to look after things.

I will have to do some more research on this I think.

Just out of interest how would the State know if you were here for the required 183 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Bit of a grey area TBH. AFAIK, there is no real way of finding out (I am open to correction on this).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would not be too worried about the 183 days thing. This is not a rule. There are issues about residency for sure, but they are unlikely to be an issue for you. You need to check this in more detail on the CRO site and elsewhere.

Where you incorporate is a matter of convenience mostly for something like this. I would be inclined to incorporate in the UK, because that is where you are doing the sales and this is what the UK customers and taxman and so on would find easiest to deal with.

There could also be tax planning issues.

You really should see an accountant about this.

Advertisement