Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting if true, anyone care to comment ?

Options
  • 03-12-2007 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Have a look at this link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7124021.stm

It seems flying a longer route is cheaper/quicker than flying over France

Is this common practice , I don't see that it's an issue myself, its funny the way the BBC are putting a ' shock horror ' stance on this , how would they react if 90% of the same flights were late because of ATC restrictions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Of course its true. Most Ireland/canaries flights use the Oceanic route as it can bypass the slot restrictions over mainland France and Spain,especially at peak times.Can use a bit more juice but quite frankly the difference can be negligible when delays and taxi times are added up.

It is quite common for airlines to file flight plans over longer routes if the most direct route is slot restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

My point about posting this was actually , I wonder why the Beeb is making such a noise about this..... must be a slow news day.

This could answer the question I have always thought about the con-trails running N-S over Kildare I see all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You did ask if it was common practice.

Anyway I see your point....slow news day I would opine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Davidth88 wrote: »
    how would they react if 90% of the same flights were late because of ATC restrictions ?

Surely that's obvious, Watchdog would cover the consumer issue of delayed flights and Panorama would cover the Europe's congested skies aspect?

Ironic that the UK's possession of Gibralter that is contributing to delays in the rationalisation of European high level airspace (Single Sky Europe) which might help reduce those delays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Davidth88 wrote: »
    My point about posting this was actually , I wonder why the Beeb is making such a noise about this..... must be a slow news day.

This could answer the question I have always thought about the con-trails running N-S over Kildare I see all the time
    With everyone so envirohyped at the moment, particularly in the UK, it's seen as a mortal sin to be creating more emissions for the sake of saving money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement