Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saying Thank You

Options
  • 03-12-2007 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

On the first of my two daily commutes this morning I was stunned by not one, but two acts of civility and decency on the part of motorcar drivers. And I don't just mean the 'not accelerating directly into my path' type civility, the 'acknowledgment of my existence' decency. Both these drivers actually slowed to let me pass in slightly differing situations, thus shaving precious seconds from their journey to the next red light.

Maybe it's the nurofen cold and flu talking but I think incidents such as these may be on the increase. Could there be a softening of attitudes towards cyclists?

But my question is this: what is the appropriate hand gesture of thanks? Normally if I'm using my hands for anything apart from braking, shifting or steering it's to exercise my middle finger. A thumbs up just seems both condescending and inappropriately jolly. A simple raising of the flat palm makes me feel like I'm in 'Allo Allo'. And not in a good way. And a wink is just too subtle, particularly behind my shades.

Perhaps a jaunty tipping of the helmet? Or is that a little too 'Thanks, guv'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I generally salute or offer a 'thumbs up'

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A simple raising of the flat palm makes me feel like I'm in 'Allo Allo'.
    Think that is the norm, I do it, and any car I ever let out on a bike or car does the same to me. Never saw a thumbs up, and it could look like a middle finger at a glance!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Could there be a softening of attitudes towards cyclists?

Maybe some motorists are also cyclists. Maybe you happened upon two such examples.

Me, I gave up running over cyclists ages ago. I'm hoping for the same consideration in return when I'm out training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

rubadub wrote: »
    Think that is the norm, I do it, and any car I ever let out on a bike or car does the same to me. Never saw a thumbs up, and it could look like a middle finger at a glance!
    I go for the flat palm too, also because a thumb could be misinterpreted.
    Drivers on my right (e.g. those that decided not to overtake) see the back of my right hand in thanks, those coming from my left see the palm of my left hand.

I do like to acknowledge the actions as a way of breaking down the them/us barrier and to encourage repeating similar behaviour (that is not meant to sound patronising)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Flat palm wave here, and I use it a lot more often than the middle finger ;-) I try to be considerate towards motorists too and often get a wave or light blink in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

And a wink is just too subtle, particularly behind my shades.

Perhaps a jaunty tipping of the helmet? Or is that a little too 'Thanks, guv'?

i'm not above the odd wink at a pretty lady if she's being nice, it usually gets a smile in return, which is nice too. cheesy though, not sleazy. the gents get a nod or the flat palm. or more usually the middle digit.

i never like to wear shades on the bike though, eye contact is very useful when negotiating intersections etc. it says "i see you, and i know you see me".

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1. If they are coming towards me, a small wave of the right hand, with the hand still on the handle bars, much the same as a motorist would do with their hand on the steering wheel.

2. If they are behind me, a wave of the right hand over the shoulder.

3. A nod of the head in acknowledgement never goes astray - I don't think there is any hint of 'Thanks, guv'.

4. On the flip side, if I don't want someone to overtake on a narrow / unsafe section, I have no problem taking command of the lane, extending my arm as if to indicate right if necessary and then waving them on when it is safe, with a '2' added.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If someone does act politely and is aware that I am a road user and not some obstacle in their path, I try and wave a hand.

However, I'm on a road bike and in the current weather conditions I tend to lose my balance a bit. So if you see me and I don't wave, I'm waving on the inside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, smiling and eye contact work wonders.

It makes motorists feel so guilty that they are afraid to run you over. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rosewood1

A thumbs up just seems both condescending and inappropriately jolly.

You could always try the Marty Funkhouser Triple Flat Palm-Thumb Up-Pointing combination from Curb Your Enthusiasm........you will probably have fallen off your bike by the end of it unfortunately....

Around the 00:23 mark in
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IZVHUytoC8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

As mostly a driver ,I feel the worst thing you can do is not acknowledge the gesture. Everyone has their own way of communicating.

I always do my best for cyclists ,but there is always some nonce who parks too close to the path and makes everyones effort worthless:mad:
    Trust me ,drivers notice these things ,not just cyclists ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

im learning to drive at the moment but will still be cycling in and out of the city for as long as I can...

what ive learned - as said above, some form of gesture is expected, a nod, wave etc.. ive found when i let another motorist out and dont get a wave or the hazard light thank you im generally a bit annoyed, and in the kind of mood that i wont let anyone else out for the rest of the journey. (im not an agro bastard or anything, i assume most people are like this?)

I agree with daymobrew about "encouraging repeating similar behaviour". Ive seen a lot of shouty/middle finger waving/car-kicking cyclists and its no wonder some drivers dont have time for us. If only they knew that beacuse of us cycling, their journey is signifigantly shorter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I put my right hand over my right shoulder to acknowledge the vehicle behind me, but I don't know if they can actually see me doing it or figure out what I'm doing....

Sometimes I can't acknowledge a driver because I'll need my hands to brake or whatever. sorry motorists, I do try to be nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

noblestee wrote: »
    im learning to drive at the moment but will still be cycling in and out of the city for as long as I can...

Hey! Me too! In fact, I bought a car on Friday. I deeply resent having done so.

I love the Marty Funkhouser Triple Flat Palm-Thumb Up-Pointing combination. Definitely my favourite solution so far and one I'll be practising on the Coast Road bike path in the morning before I hit the Fairview traffic.

Idiot gesturing expansively to nobody? That'll be me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

nothing worse than when a driver *almost* gets in your way, sees you, but then allows you space to get by but before they get the chance to you're already mouthing "w*nker" at them! That's happened me a few times. Oops!

But nice drivers are a rarity and deserve a good ole wave/salute/wink etc... Sometimes ya just can't lift your hand so a nod is more than enough.

Good to hear appreciation in both directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maratonass

_Brian_ wrote: »
    As mostly a driver ,I feel the worst thing you can do is not acknowledge the gesture.
    This is mentioned in a thread about 'irritations' in the 'Motors' forum.

I suppose a tug of the forelock would be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Frog Brother

Usally just give the flat palm (everyone seems to be doing this as I read through, maybe this is the sign we have all been looking for) then a quick thumbs up. Smiling is important, passes on the good vibe and makes you feel better.

Usally I'm really calm. Except when a driver doesn't see me inside, or overtakes me, doesn't indicate, and turns left and nearly kills me. then i kick, or thump the offending object.

I bike commute nearly all the time but I drive a bit. I find people are generally impatient on the roads of Dublin, but the giving and recievein' of nice gestures makes all the bad things go away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I find people are generally impatient on the roads of Dublin

I think it is the impatience which makes people do stupid things on the roads. I'm talking about all road users. The other week my girlfriend was cycling into work and stopped at a set of lights. Some bird then cycled into the back her and had the cheek to give out to her for stopping for lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Frog Brother

Raam wrote: »
    Some bird then cycled into the back her and had the cheek to give out to her for stopping for lights.

I'm sorry, but that is funny:D

Raam wrote: »
    I think it is the impatience which makes people do stupid things on the roads. I'm talking about all road users. The other week my girlfriend was cycling into work and stopped at a set of lights. Some bird then cycled into the back her and had the cheek to give out to her for stopping for lights.

Bloody women drivers :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Usally I'm really calm. Except when a driver doesn't see me inside, or overtakes me, doesn't indicate, and turns left and nearly kills me. then i kick, or thump the offending object.

Kicking or thumping cars is a serious faux pas man. It is definitely not cool and instantly makes you the offender, whatever the driver did before you. You're raising the stakes in the incident and counts as road rage in my book. Think of pedestrians gobbing on your bike.

Normally flat of palm for thanks here. Rarely have need to do it though. After a few months of cycling now I kind of miss the occasional motorist camaraderie in the thick of traffic. I find that cyclists are little less friendly to be honest.

Kicking or thumping cars is a serious faux pas man. It is definitely not cool and instantly makes you the offender, whatever the driver did before you. You're raising the stakes in the incident and counts as road rage in my book. Think of pedestrians gobbing on your bike.

Normally flat of palm for thanks here. Rarely have need to do it though. After a few months of cycling now I kind of miss the occasional motorist camaraderie in the thick of traffic. I find that cyclists are little less friendly to be honest.

I was nearly killed a couple of times by trucks cutting bends too tight.
    Both times when we reached the next lights ,I hooked the passenger door side and was given an ample apology.

Anytime a driver is cutting me off ,I belt the car and they actually think they've knocked someone down. Cars really shouldn't get close enough that I could reach anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Bashing the side of a vehicle that is turning into you is in no way unacceptable, as Brian says they should not be that close in the first place and it's more a matter of indicating that you are THERE than road rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

blorg wrote: »
    Bashing the side of a vehicle that is turning into you is in no way unacceptable, as Brian says they should not be that close in the first place and it's more a matter of indicating that you are THERE than road rage.

Apologies, I understand what he meant now. I had a different scenario in mind. Sorry Frog Brother.

Advertisement