Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anderlecht Game & Belgian Football Law

Options
  • 03-12-2007 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Was just reading article on official THFC website.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/belgianfootballlaw021207.html

Made me think of my visit to Anderlecht for 1st leg of 1984 UEFA Cup Final.

Sadly before that game a young London Irish Spurs Fan was shot dead by a bar owner who took offence to fans singing a few songs whilst having a beer.

If anyone is going then I'd advise you to be very careful with the police. I know it's a long time ago now but when we went there in 1984 the police were extremely aggressive and did everything they could to provoke trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

RichMc70 wrote: »

Sadly before that game a young London Irish Spurs Fan was shot dead by a bar owner who took offence to fans singing a few songs whilst having a beer.

Not the version I've heard mate. Wasn't there an issue with an unpaid bar bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

The bar owners story was that they had ran out leaving unpaid bill.

Yes its true they didnt pay the bill, but if someone comes jumping over a counter towards you with a shooter in his hand then I think a lot of people would make a sharpish exit. The lad was actually shot in the back whilst running out of the door. His funeral was attended by a number of spurs players including Pat Jennings who was a personal friend of his father.

I didnt know him personally although I knew some of his family. Of course this was the mid-eighties and everyone in europe thought english football fans were all scum. The trial of the bar owner was a sham and he got done for some stupid charge like manslaughter by misadventure. Think he did about 3 months inside.

I'm considering a dry afternoon before the game so I don't get lifted before I even get in the ground, I'll do my boozing on Wednesday and Thursday post-game.

Have a feeling this one will be hairy, I'm more apprehensive about this game than I was about Feyenoord last season (before it was canned)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I'm considering a dry afternoon before the game so I don't get lifted before I even get in the ground, I'll do my boozing on Wednesday and Thursday post-game.

As I don't have the luxury of a ticket or 2 days in Brussles I will be hammering it from 7am on Thurs.

Should be interesting :D

Call you later Shane, but be careful either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Call you later Shane, but be careful either way.

No Peter Shreves = No Problem :D

No Peter Shreves = No Problem :D

Can't believe you left out Bobby Buckle...;):p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RingoSpur

Hope you enjoy the trip lads. Lets hope the result is better than sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Careful with that Belgian Beer....strong stuff :eek:

Advertisement