Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to live

• 03-12-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Are there any areas to avoid renting/buying in Waterford?? What is Ardmore Park like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Azlan wrote: »
    Are there any areas to avoid renting/buying in Waterford?? What is Ardmore Park like?
    it a bit like moyross in limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Avoid Ardmore park, there can hardly be a less desirable address in all of Waterford (its part of Ballybeg, just like Clonard Park, Priory Lawn etc....) - I grew up in some of these places, I know how bad they were then and they are by all accounts, far, far worse now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Avoid if possible Ballybeg, Kilcohan Park/St Herblain, Tycor, Lisduggan, Lismore Lawn area (students, unless things have changed) that said where you do go rather depends on transport and such like I'd have thought.

If you want a decent idea buy the Munster Express after the district court sits and you'll get the low-down! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

mike65 wrote: »
    Avoid if possible Ballybeg, Kilcohan Park/St Herblain, Tycor, Lisduggan, Lismore Lawn area (students, unless things have changed) that said where you do go rather depends on transport and such like I'd have thought.

If you want a decent idea buy the Munster Express after the district court sits and you'll get the low-down! ;)

Mike.

You have pretty much named out all of the housing estates in Waterford city.

I understand peoples views on Ballybeg and Kilcohan but Lisduggan and Tycor are grand.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Parts of Lisduggan are bad, I do believe..

Lismore Park is the place Dominos wont deliver to due to driver abuse I think.

Lots of hassle in Templers Hall at the moment, with the college sending threatning letters to student residents. Probably not the best estate at the moment, full of students and angry neighbours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ardmore Park - Avoid at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

would it of not been a better question to ask.. what places would be nice to rent/buy in?
    now theres gonna be a debate on why is such and such a place not a nice area to live in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

There would be three main council estates that you should avoid; Larchville, Ballybeg, Kilcohan Park.

Since the construction of dedicated student accommodation in Riverwalk (on the Ring Road) and Manor Village (Cork Rd), there has been a reduction in the amount of students renting houses in the nearby Lismore Park and Lawn area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Mike.

As a resident of Kilcohan I don't know what to are on about . To the OP all these estates are the same as ever estate in ever city in Ireland 95% of the residents are decent hard working people the other 5% are scum.

Ps As for some of these so called better locations (Ardkeen etc )One or two of them are going to become war zones in the next 10 years mark my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

steven22 wrote: »
    You have pretty much named out all of the housing estates in Waterford city.

No, he's pretty much named all the estates on the west side of town. Mostly if you stick east of the Mall-Tramore Road route, you'll be grand. Northwest, like Gracedieu and Cleaboy are fine too... IMHO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Azlan

Thanks everyone,

Ok Paul666 - the good areas are??

I think it's often easier to isolate the dodgier areas in a city - hopefully there are fewer of them! :o:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭joe25

Stay away from Ardkeen village and viewmount and maybe a few more areas out that side of the town.
    Ok now but in a few years time all the kids out there will be older and the estates will be full of scum.

older estates in waterford went through all this and are becoming quieter now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

fricatus wrote: »
    No, he's pretty much named all the estates on the west side of town. Mostly if you stick east of the Mall-Tramore Road route, you'll be grand. Northwest, like Gracedieu and Cleaboy are fine too... IMHO!

Same here Fric.:) I live in the greater Tycor area and it's no different to anywhere else.;) Students rent out houses everywhere. Their main haunts are anwhere near the campuses. Lismore Park took a big hit down the years with students, but this has eased in the last few years (due to the proliferation of student villages and accomodation).

Hillview, Ashley Court, Norwood likewise. The Manor and Cork Road/Rice Park/Poleberry/Ballytruckle areas have seen a large influx of students since the opening of the Good Shepherd campus - as have the greater Cherrymount and Ursuline Court areas.

It's amazing the way petty snobbery can creep into discussions like this. My late mother used always call it 'a penny looking down on two ha'pennies'. And she was right.

I know of a lad who works in a local shop and lives in the Tycor area. He met someone he hadn't seen for years. The acquaintance was aghast that he hadn't moved on from the area to 'The South Side' as he called it (which he seemd to think was THE area to live in).

'Where is the South Side' asks your man. 'Anywhere south of the main Cork Road' he said. Your man replies 'I'd say all the people in Ballybeg are delighted with that.'. He left the shop without comment.:)

Anywhere with more than a couple of teenagers is worth avoiding! Its amazing the difference they make to an area or even one street. My road is much quieter since a few moved on, nearly all the kids down here are now 10 or less.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Anywhere with more than a couple of teenagers is worth avoiding! Its amazing the difference they make to an area or even one street. My road is much quieter since a few moved on, nearly all the kids down here are now 10 or less.

Mike.

And guess what they'll grow into Mike!:D Ain't life a circle!

They are mainly girls so maybe some eye candy in the future! :p

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They are mainly girls so maybe some eye candy in the future! :p

Mike.

moreee waterrr....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

joe25 wrote: »
    Stay away from Ardkeen village and viewmount and maybe a few more areas out that side of the town.
    Ok now but in a few years time all the kids out there will be older and the estates will be full of scum.

Ah now Viewmount is a mature estate and has a good balance of elderly and young people. It's a fairly quiet estate. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Hate to break it to you, but because of the Celtic Tiger, people could afford to have tonnes of children and spoil them! There's more teenagers and young children in Ireland now than there has been in a long time.

Azlan, you're better off moving to an off-shore island to escape the scum that they will all grow to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Just how old do you think Viewmount is, kid? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭joe25

I Just Posted about the dunmore area to see how the People living in the so called "south side" of the city would react.
    Its always people saying stay away from lisduggan,ballybeg etc and no one backs up these estates but as soon as you mention the dunmore road areas there are alot of people waiting to defend it.
    It makes me sick as most of the people that are saying stay away from lisduggan,ballybeg used to live there but now they have a few euro it has gone to there head.
    its amazing what a few euro does to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Joe, thats not totally true. The OP asked for places in Waterford to Rent or buy and frankly ballybeg and co are not prudent investments and never have been. That said they go cheap, but you just cannot shift them on the resale market either. With very few exceptions anyplace that is a council estate or was one is bad news in that respect and I am sure its the same in most cities around the country. Having lived in Priory Lawn, Farran Park and St Herblain as a child I am pretty familiar with the areas and would not go back there now to live, sure there were great people, real people, but there were bad eggs too, some very bad eggs, Waterfords worst you could say in some instances. That said I owe a lot to these people, if anything living in those places motivated me to work my socks off in school and get to where I am today.

As mentioned previously the court pages in the Munster Express reveal a lot, and yes, it is a case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch, but when it comes to property value and perceived living standards perception is reality. Thats why all these new estates are marketed so heavily and come with trumped up poncy sounding names and taglines e.g. "Country Living, City Location" and all that crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I Just Posted about the dunmore area to see how the People living in the so called "south side" of the city would react.
    Its always people saying stay away from lisduggan,ballybeg etc and no one backs up these estates but as soon as you mention the dunmore road areas there are alot of people waiting to defend it.
    It makes me sick as most of the people that are saying stay away from lisduggan,ballybeg used to live there but now they have a few euro it has gone to there head.
    its amazing what a few euro does to some people.

Hmmm read post 10

Viewmount is actually older than many of the estates around Waterford. It was built in the late 1960s. Some of the other estates around the Dunmore Road are more recent (Powerscourt, Earlscourt etc). I've never heard this area being referred to as the "South Side". Some people might like to talk up their area or the value of their investment. But there are good and bad people in all areas. As for Viewmount, I suppose I'd be old school more so than any other posters here.

Regards...jmcc

Viewmount was the first large estate on the Dunmore road, much of the land along there belonged to the Earl family and they held out until the late 70s/early 80s as far as I recall then the building boom began in earnest.

In terms of perception, east is best in Waterford.

Mike.

I'm not from Waterford but when we were buying our place some of the neighbours told us that Viewmount was the first estate in Waterford.

We like where we live, like our neighbours and it's very convenient for shops, hospital, bus, school bus etc.

We have encountered quite a bit of snobbery from some people living in other housing estates along the Dunmore Road who look down on Viewmount but that's their problem.

As a mother of a 12 year old I do worry about the lack of facilities for teenagers, also the gangs that hang around places such as Ballinakill shopping centre, some of whom have been intimidating customers or causing damage. I think the youth place near Leisurezone has opened.

I also thing when some people see a few teenagers together they automatically assume they're all causing trouble.

I have heard some people say that due to the amount of houses along the dunmore road is like a powder keg that's about to go off.

It's only in the last year or two that I heard anything about east, west, north or south Waterford. The first I heard was when the Bank near The Three Shippes was opening as saw them refering to it being in the west end of Waterford.

So where exactly are people talking about with they say north, south, east or west Waterford?

Viewmount was the Mercedes Benz of Waterford now its the Ford Focus. :p

Mike.

deisemum wrote: »
    We have encountered quite a bit of snobbery from some people living in other housing estates along the Dunmore Road who look down on Viewmount but that's their problem.
    Fascinating. :) If you want to upset them - ask them what schools they attended and listen closely to their accents.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Minority make it seem bad , I have friends in Lisduggan Balybeg and Johns park and all are good people and have no problem . Just decide yourself .. This thread will take a totally different swing after the comments .. Dominos came on fckin bikes at the start and teenagers were robbin the pizzas in ballybeg what do they expect . Give them a car . I also feel sorry for some residents in these areas who are tarnished with the same brush ...

As for templars hall i would def avoid there its like Ibiza at night after the clubs during the student week , Even the haltin site seems a better option then there ..And as they know /..ITS ONLY A STONE THROW AWAY

Advertisement