Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to live

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

mike65 wrote: »
    Viewmount was the Mercedes Benz of Waterford now its the Ford Focus. :p

Mike.

Mercs are overated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Mike.

rofl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

I don't know what you mean. Hang on and I'll ask my chauffeur. ;)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 c-lion

Hate to break it to you, but because of the Celtic Tiger, people could afford to have tonnes of children and spoil them! There's more teenagers and young children in Ireland now than there has been in a long time.

Azlan, you're better off moving to an off-shore island to escape the scum that they will all grow to be!
    Long before the coming of The Celtic Tiger, folks had tons (tonnes) of children but they were not the threat that kids seem to be now. Is it that with the coming of wealth and the threat of hunger removed, you have lost your way and are in danger of becoming decadent as the Bible warns against?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

deisemum wrote: »
    I'm not from Waterford but when we were buying our place some of the neighbours told us that Viewmount was the first estate in Waterford.

We like where we live, like our neighbours and it's very convenient for shops, hospital, bus, school bus etc.

We have encountered quite a bit of snobbery from some people living in other housing estates along the Dunmore Road who look down on Viewmount but that's their problem.

As a mother of a 12 year old I do worry about the lack of facilities for teenagers, also the gangs that hang around places such as Ballinakill shopping centre, some of whom have been intimidating customers or causing damage. I think the youth place near Leisurezone has opened.

I also thing when some people see a few teenagers together they automatically assume they're all causing trouble.

I have heard some people say that due to the amount of houses along the dunmore road is like a powder keg that's about to go off.

That tends to happen out there alright. And many of them come from places like where I was reared (Upper City) but quickly forget their roots.:rolleyes:

Regarding your description of the surrounds where you live that could be anywhere in Waterford - including where I live. Amazingly, some people consider themselves to be 'middle class':rolleyes: when they move to the general Dunmore Road area. I live in a private estate but consider myself working class. Does a 'middle class' actually EXIST in Ireland?:eek:

• Advertisement

We have encountered quite a bit of snobbery from some people living in other housing estates along the Dunmore Road who look down on Viewmount but that's their problem.

Again I quote my late mother:

A penny looking down on two ha'pennies.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

to escape the scum that they will all grow to be!
    Bit of a sweeping generalisation I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Was meant in jest, I can assure you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I always said that if I had to live in Waterford I would like Ballybricken - literally a stones throw from the city centre but with a villagey atmosphere, a bit like Ranelagh or Rathmines for Dublin.

My perception of Ballybeg was that the serious anti-social elements were concentrated in Clonard/Ardmore and that the Ballybeg parts (Ballybeg Court/Road/Square) and to a lesser extent Priory Lawn had somewhat stabilised as the glut of children had grown up and moved on. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Again I quote my late mother:

A penny looking down on two ha'pennies.:)

She was a wise woman

Some of the accents are something else and it's amusing to see how it reverts to normal as more alcohol is consumed :D

A lot of them are in serious debt trying to get a bigger house, latest car, all the latest gadgets etc. I wouldn't like that hanging over me. They know the price of everything but the value of nothing. Fortunately there are a lot of normal level headed people as well.

If you really want to see competition at it's best then the place to be is outside a big primary school at drop off or collection times. Some noses are so far up in the air they're up the ar*e of God. ;)

Some will not let their children play with other children that don't come from a family where the parents are of certain professions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ah I understand about the scum comment, i was just pulling your leg. Well I've lived in a good few places in Waterford. Stephen street, Ferrybank, Earls court and I'm in killure manor now. Must say I preffered Ferrybank the most if ya can get over all the kk snobbery! lol Never bought into the whole border dispute thing myself. But anyway i left fbank about 2 years ago. It wasn't too bad then but with all the major new developments going on there atm I'm not sure what it's like now. I really liked it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Irish75

Avoid if possible Ballybeg, Kilcohan Park/St Herblain, Tycor, Lisduggan, Lismore Lawn area (students, unless things have changed) that said where you do go rather depends on transport and such like I'd have thought.

If you want a decent idea buy the Munster Express after the district court sits and you'll get the low-down! ;)

Mike.

I've lived in ballybeg all my life and it is not as bad as everyone say's yes they are people there that are not that good but in what place is there not so dont listen to everything you hear Ballybeg is not bad at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

do you have to move to waterford??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Irish75 wrote: »
    I've lived in ballybeg all my life and it is not as bad as everyone say's yes they are people there that are not that good but in what place is there not so dont listen to everything you hear Ballybeg is not bad at all

It's probably the worst in Waterford for anti-social behaviour. And if somebody was moving to Waterford the advice being given to them here is to steer clear. There are good people there. There are also idiots there who decide to ruin the name of the place for everyone. If I was moving to Waterford I just wouldn't want the added risk of living in Ballybeg. But it has to be said anti-social behaviour happens everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

First post - been reading but a virgin "Poster" on this website. Dont know why anyone has not mentioned Collins Avenue - i love living there.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Templars get a lot of the flack too but i live there and have not been robbed,stabbed,abused yet, well at least not without starting it first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

I moved from the top of the town as I call it about 5 years ago to Riverview on the Dunmore Rd. There was no snobbery in the move, myself and my family had been living there all our lives but we were fed up with the degenerated feel of the area.
    I know people will defend Ballybeg and similar estates and rightfully so...It's a minority causing the image but unfortunately its a rather vociferous minority.

I found it particulary hard to feel safe. Our house was broken into twice and the car once or twice too. My neighbours were possibly the nicest people I've ever met but there was also some serious antisocial behaviour and it was moreso the adults in their early 20's rather than the teenagers.

Living out here is a different life though. All for the better. Everything feels much safer and merrier so to speak. Its probably because Riverview is really on the periphery of the dunmore rod. Like I'd have no problem walking around these street late on a Saturday night where as on my old street I wouldn't have dreamt of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yep, Riverview is nice, I lived around there and it is a nice healthy walk into Ardkeen or just a short spin on the bus..very handy.
    I see Viewmount is getting some flack, I actually like Viewmount, the houses along the first few rows are fine houses, well built and all.

yep, there are little scumbags everywhere, new money eh :rolleyes:

There hasn't been too much trouble in Viewmount, mainly young ones drinking and setting the bins of unoccupied houses on fire not forgetting the camper van arson but the regular meeting spot is getting a makeover and will be very well lit up and have intelligence cameras etc so that should move them on somewhere else.

There's a lot of loutish carry on down by the river and I've heard that certain councillors have gone down there at night to plead with the troublemakers to stop their carry ons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

There hasn't been too much trouble in Viewmount, mainly young ones drinking and setting the bins of unoccupied houses on fire not forgetting the camper van arson but the regular meeting spot is getting a makeover and will be very well lit up and have intelligence cameras etc so that should move them on somewhere else.

There's a lot of loutish carry on down by the river and I've heard that certain councillors have gone down there at night to plead with the troublemakers to stop their carry ons.

Where by the river?

• Advertisement

I've heard it's a stretch of riverbank down by Ballinakill, Ballinakill Downs, Kings Channel and thereabouts. A neighbour has told me that her sister lives down in Maypark near the Kings Channel area and there's a walkway down to the river. She's had her bin set alight 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

I've heard it's a stretch of riverbank down by Ballinakill, Ballinakill Downs, Kings Channel and thereabouts. A neighbour has told me that her sister lives down in Maypark near the Kings Channel area and there's a walkway down to the river. She's had her bin set alight 3 times.

Down behind Powerscourt...Its the entrance to the Riverwalk, can be fairly intimidating on a Summers evening going for a stroll and seeing 30 or 40 hoodies drinking Dutch Gold setting things on fire. Seems to be ok during the colder months. The Guards got on top of things towards the end of the Summer last year though and the late night sessioning turned into 20minutes then a chase form the gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Just avoid waterford .. Its ****e ... My option would be baghdad or maybe even Vietnam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 GoodEnough

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    As a resident of Kilcohan I don't know what to are on about . To the OP all these estates are the same as ever estate in ever city in Ireland 95% of the residents are decent hard working people the other 5% are scum.

Ps As for some of these so called better locations (Ardkeen etc )One or two of them are going to become war zones in the next 10 years mark my words.

Have to agree with ROCKMAN

I moved from the top of the town as I call it about 5 years ago to Riverview on the Dunmore Rd. There was no snobbery in the move, myself and my family had been living there all our lives but we were fed up with the degenerated feel of the area.
    I know people will defend Ballybeg and similar estates and rightfully so...It's a minority causing the image but unfortunately its a rather vociferous minority.

I found it particulary hard to feel safe. Our house was broken into twice and the car once or twice too. My neighbours were possibly the nicest people I've ever met but there was also some serious antisocial behaviour and it was moreso the adults in their early 20's rather than the teenagers.

Living out here is a different life though. All for the better. Everything feels much safer and merrier so to speak. Its probably because Riverview is really on the periphery of the dunmore rod. Like I'd have no problem walking around these street late on a Saturday night where as on my old street I wouldn't have dreamt of it.

I'm laughing at the BS within these comments. So the Dunmore Road (Riverview in particular) is Utopia? Funny.

* I went to a party in a local pub near Riverview (do the maths)there in 1998 on a Saturday night. Came out at 11:30pm to find that the capping off a wall had been deposited onto the back seat of my car - through the rear window.

* Only recently there have been burnt-out vehicles at the end of Viewmount.

* A murder has been commited in the area in the past two years.

* A boarded up garage makes the place look like Neilstown in Dublin.

* As has been pointed out - knacker drinking (and its social ramifications) is rife at the rear of Ballinakill and Powerscourt.

Now what does that sound like - everywhere else in the City.:eek:

I walked home through the infamous 'Top Of The Town' last Saturday night at 2:00am. Not a bother.

Now, Ri na hEireann, maybe you might take off those rose-tinted specs and see what's actually going on around you in real life before you go looking down your nose at others. :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Now, Ri na hEireann, maybe you might take off those rose-tinted specs and see what's actually going on around you in real life before you go looking down your nose at others. :rolleyes::D

I don't think Ri na hEireann was ever looking down on others. You will get young trouble makers everywhere, knacker drinking etc. I just have to laugh at the poor idiots who spent a fortune on houses down by Kings Channel only to realise they have it no better than everyone else.

Fair enough, vandalism of other people's property is not on, I hate that and it does seem to be on the increase unfortunately.

I don't think Ri na hEireann was ever looking down on others. You will get young trouble makers everywhere, knacker drinking etc. I just have to laugh at the poor idiots who spent a fortune on houses down by Kings Channel only to realise they have it no better than everyone else.

Fair enough, vandalism of other people's property is not on, I hate that and it does seem to be on the increase unfortunately.

Agreed. I also forgot to mention that a resident of Powerscourt also had his rear windscreen put in last year - with a wall capping again. Ten years later.:rolleyes:

What Ri na hEireann is guilty of is generalisation. Just because something happened to him doesn't mean it's happening to everyone else. Otherwise, the examples I have given would ppaint a pretty bleak picture of the Dunmore Road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Agreed. Lets not get personal please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

* Only recently there have been burnt-out vehicles at the end of Viewmount.
    One burnt out vehicle - singular. That's one in 40 years.
    * A murder has been commited in the area in the past two years.
    And the last one in the area would have been in the 1970s.
    Now what does that sound like - everywhere else in the City.
    It looks like you are tying together a set of random events to support a bias against the area. Generalisations can be dangerous. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

i live in larchville and i recently rang about a job in the munster express and a very posh man answered,i asked about the job, i had the right qualifications, i could do the hours and could start straight away,the guy then asked me my address......i told him..............he practically hung up on me,saying some bs about he'll get back to me................................... god was i fu**ing annoyed over this

Just cause i live in larchville doesn't make me a scumbag,doesn't mean i'm not capable of doing the job:mad:

Advertisement