Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving lessons in automatic car

Options
  • 03-12-2007 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of an instructor/driving school who gives lessons in their own automatic car? Thanks!

Comments

The Irish wheelchair association organises these.
    I don't see the point unless you have a disablity, because you are restricted from driving a manual if you pass your test in an automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Quick lesson.

Tuck your left leg under your right leg and off you go.

It's scarily simple. You'll pick it up in seconds.

1. You can't roll back.
    2. Obvious, but... The gears change themselves.
    3. You just brake and accelerate.

Instructions.
    1. Sit in. Turn on the ignition.
    2. Press brake. and push the "gear stick" from (P) to (D) or from (P) to (R) if you need to reverse. You'll need to press the brake everytime you want to move the "gear stick".

P is park D is drive R is reverse N is neutral (I've never used this)

The reason I said tuck your left leg under your right (and I learnt this the hardway) is because your natural instinct will be to clutch, and if you do you'll find the brake!!! Not good! You'll only do this once or twice, but it can be embarrasing.

On my first day driving an automatic I was taking off from a garage fore court and decided to shift into second!!!! :eek: So, instead of clutching (which you cannot do) I braked really hard. Luckily there was no car behind me!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Anyone else?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I doubt very much that any ordinary instructors will have an auto as probably 95% of motorists do the B test in a manual. It wouldn't be worth the outlay to buy an auto for the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smcgiff wrote: »
    N is neutral (I've never used this)
    How do you get from P to D or from D to R without using neutral?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ISM have auto cars (not in every centre though)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

You cant expect the man to answer that……………….he is far too busy making sure his left leg is well tucked away to notice little details :D

You push through it. It's linear, from P to D.

You cant expect the man to answer that……………….he is far too busy making sure his left leg is well tucked away to notice little details :D

I'm also distracted by the string tied to my index finger to remind me to flip annoying drivers! :D

Should point out I suppose that you'll soon not have to have your leg tucked away and you can luxuriate in not having to pump your left leg like an oil rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't see the point unless you have a disablity, because you are restricted from driving a manual if you pass your test in an automatic.

I know one person who is perfectly able-bodied, but nervous enough that there's absolutely no way she'd be driving if it she didn't learn in an automatic. For her, it takes some of the hassle and "technicality" out of driving, and allows her to at least get from A to B safely.

It's easy to say that she'd get to grips with a manual with a little practice, but it was such a block to her, it made sense to take the easy solution.

Sure, she'll be stuck driving automatics forever more, but it beats the non-existent bus service she'd be facing otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

It's also a good idea, when stopped in traffic, to move or stretch your left leg every now and then. I've recently started driving an automatic, and I find that I get dreadful cramps in my left leg from lack of movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

my first car was an automatic and i did my test in it and i am restricted to using them. Dosnt bother me, I have had good ones and bad ones, best was a mad little Hyundai Accent that would make mincemeat of BMW's off the lights on the Chapelizod bypass. Worst was a Renault Migane where the computer told the gearbox to do a big jump at 20 mph but i got a new one free under warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Anan1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an instructor/driving school who gives lessons in their own automatic car? Thanks!
    The RAC used to offer this.

Advertisement