Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Heel Ever.

• 03-12-2007 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭

Ive always had more of an interest in the 'Heel' Characters in pro wrestling.

Whats everybodys opinion on who was/is the best heel in Wrestling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭peejy

kurt angle was a great heel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Vince McMahon in his prime hands down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Rock was wonderful in making people hate him before he turned into a face; Edge is currently the best heel in the business by a long mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

1, Vince Mcmahon
    2, Triple H
    3, Hollywood Hogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The best heel performance I've ever seen was Terry Funk in his "I Quit" match with Ric Flair. He was awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Ric Flair has to be right up there. Other notables include Triple H, Jake Roberts, Honky Tonk Man, Shawn Michaels, Angle, and Edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Hard to say. Can only answer about the periods and promotions that I have seen. So can't really say that Terry Funk, Ric Flair, or Hollywood Hogan were great when I never watched WCW or NWA.

But .. the top 5 heels for me were: Mr. McMahon, The Rock, JBL, The Million Dollar Man, and Roddy Piper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ted DiBiase is easily the best heel of all time. The challenges he used to make kids do and then he'd screw them over and laugh at them!

JBL used pretty much teh same gimmick and was a great heel too.

Honky Tonk Man was a very good heel.

Jake Roberts.

Today, Edge and Orton by a mile.

Ted DiBiase is easily the best heel of all time. .

Ric Flair says hello.

Even when Flair was a heel, some people would still cheer him.

Nobody cheered for DiBiase. He was universally hated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

The best heel I have ever seen is Vince McMahon. But if were talking the best heel ever, I would think it would have to be 'Classy' Freddie Blassie. The man had eggs, rocks and daggers thrown at him, was physically attacked by fans, and apparently, scared some fans to death with his antics in the ring.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    The best heel I have ever seen is Vince McMahon. But if were talking the best heel ever, I would think it would have to be 'Classy' Freddie Blassie. The man had eggs, rocks and daggers thrown at him, was physically attacked by fans, and apparently, scared some fans to death with his antics in the ring.

Sgt. Slaughter was receiving death threats while playing an Iraqi sympathiser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Well if you want to talk about sheer hatred then surely XPac has to be up there, remember how hated he was in about 2000?

But actual heels, i loved SCSA after WM X7, him and Angle had some comedy gold together and yes i know thats not the point of a heel but it was still great.

Vince during his feud with SCSA was one of the best ive ever seen, plays the part very very well.

But my favourite was HHH in around 00/01, when he was with Steph and feuding with Y2J and Foley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

To me the criteria for being a great heel is the intention of going out and wanting to be universally hated by everyone. Shawn Michaels in his D-X era and Triple H during the McMahon-Helmsley era were very entertaining but I suspect they secretly wanted to be liked by the fans and be "cool" so to me they shouldn't therefore qualify as the best heels ever. I feel the same way about The Rock even though likewise I found him immensely entertaining.

Rick Rude was a great heel and deserves a mention. Like Edge today, he wasn't interested in getting face pops. Jake Roberts, Terry Funk, Ric Flair and Jerry Lawler were all top class heels. Bobby Heenan should be mentioned too as he ensured the fans hated his guts every night he went out.

In my opinion though the greatest heel ever is Roddy Piper. Hogan took all the plaudits for the original Wrestlemania, along with Mr T, but it was Piper that the fans wanted to see get beaten up and he made the babyfaces even more popular which is exactly what a heel should do.

Some of the ways he got the fans riled up were truly innovative and ahead of their time. Perhaps the best one, which is mentioned in his DVD, is how he promised to perform the Mexican national anthem on his bagpipes to make up for his insults towards the Mexican people only to come out and play La cucaracha instead and further infuriating the audience! I just put up a video of Piper vs Sammartino in a steel cage match in Boston in the videos thread and before the match gets underway, Piper, whilst wearing a Chicago Bears T-Shirt, puts up posters of two well known players for the Bears which pisses off the fans in a big way. (Sammartino gets a great pop when he tears them down)

Compared to the majority of heels from that era who were generally dull brutes, Piper was on another level. If he was around today he'd still get over.

Melion wrote: »
    Well if you want to talk about sheer hatred then surely XPac has to be up there, remember how hated he was in about 2000?

That wasn't because he was a good heel though. He was just stale and the fans were sick of him.

The best heel is the one that makes people want to pay money to see them get beat up or get what's coming to them etc.. That's my criteria anyway.

No one has achieved that as consistently as Flair has. Maybe you can make the argument for Vince in that his run with Steve Austin did huge business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Savage was a good heel but Jake Roberts is easily my favourite heel ever

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think it all depends on the era and what they were up against.

Ric Flair was great up against any face.
    Million Dollar Man was great also.
    Jake the Snake was great, but only in a tweener kindof way.
    Mr. McMahon was great with SCSA as a foil.
    Hogan/Nash/Hall was great at the start of the nWo.
    Edge was great when he started feuding with Hardy, well only for the smarks I suspose.

For the ratio of their career to heel you've a different criteria, personally I think it's hardest to go from heel to face to heel, for that reason I'd have to put HHH up there as 1 of the best, he started as heel with the Grenwich snob, face as part of DX, heel as HHH, face when he came back from injury, heel again, now back again as face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

VR is a great heel. Where is he by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

peejy wrote: »
    kurt angle was a great heel

I'll give Kurt Angle credit for being a good heel in his early days but he was a terrible heel in his later WWE run. When he was fueding with Cena for example, Kurt was doing explosive, fast paced face moves and getting massive pops - hardly the work of a good heel! He was doing pretty much the same routine that got him over as a face - explosive manoevers towards the end of matches in a face like manner. A good heel should be doing slow, vicious beatdowns to keep the face down - not a series of explosive, high impact moves towards the end of a match. If a heel is gonna do explosive moves, it should be one explosive move to stop the face, followed by a slow beatdown - its the physcology of wrestling! Even in his matches with HBK, Angle was getting cheered loudly and doing the same type of explosive move series - thats not good heel work!
    Rant over!

In my opinion, the best heel ever was Ted Dibiase. I would say that Ric Flair, Triple H, HBK, Vince McMahon, Bobby Heenan arent far behind Dibiase. I also thought Hogan was a good heel when he got the chance to play heel.

Edit: Forgot to mention Tully Blanchard - very good heel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

If your looking for universal hate its Hogan and Jarrett. Jarrett in '05/'06 was hated more than anybody else but the all round greatest heel is The Rock, he could make anybody hate him, the man oozed charisma even when he didnt want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭pete

Bobby Heenan.

No contest.

forbesii wrote: »

He lost his smile.

forbesii wrote: »

Guitar Hero forum. Got tired of abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd put Flair right up the top of my list. Piper wouldn't be far off and neither would Terry Funk. Funk in his feud with Lawler was amazing

Just to throw out some other names of guys who are worth mentioning, Bruiser Brody was a fantastic heel. He put fear into the fans and they'd want nothing more than to see the face somehow overcome the bully

Raven was a really good heel in ECW around 1996. He had a unique character and the fans hated the guy. He was just such a dick

Every time I see Cyanide Sid Cooper on World of Sport wrestling I enjoy it so much. The man was brilliant, William Regal has said that he picked up a lot of little things from him. And that's exactly what it is, he does all these little things that get the crowd so riled up. Things that other wrestlers might not bother with because it seems like a waste of time, but when it's all packaged together it makes for such a sneaky and despicable wrestler who you just want to see get beaten

VR's just waiting for us to break the code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote: »
    Funk in his feud with Lawler was amazing

Yes agree totally. The performance of Funk in the empty arena match is just incredible. I don't think many (if any) of the modern day heels could pull off such a performance in an empty arena.

"Lawler come back here you yellow pig! Piiiiiig!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Edge is a good heel and number 1 at the minute and a very nice guy *met him and Lita in a bar in Belfast*

The Rock at the End of 98 and in 99 was very good in the Coporation and his turn at the Surviour Series in 98 was pretty good.

HBK during his run in DX the first time was very good at getting the crowd to hate him.

I also thought Jerry The King was good as a heel in his Feud with the Hitman

But i think the best all time one is HHH, and it looks like he will be turning pretty soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Sid Vicious.
    Ric Flair.
    Randy Savage.
    Honky Tonk Man.
    Jake the Snake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Real831

HBK's DX Days, Austin and The Rock

• Advertisement

Yeah, actually now I think about it, HHH is one of the best heels ever. Also, masked Kane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Eire 4Ever

At present Edge is no. 1 heel and best heel in WWE

Angle, Jake Roberts, HHH, HBK, Flair, Million Dollar Man, Benoit were all great heels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

HBK (97 DX)
    Money Inc the best heel Tag team off all time.
    Bobby the Brain the best non-wrestler heel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I would have to go with the Dudley Boys in the original ECW.

The heat they got every single match was insane.

They took abusing fans to a new level.

Just look at the rise and fall of ecw dvd for a taster of some of their antics.

In WWF/WWE I would have to go with HHH circa late 90s early 00s.

Outsatnding and you could tell he loves been a heel more than a face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 acdcrock

Personally the best heels are the ones which can change from heel to face in one single action. The only people who do this and actually pull it off are, Triple H, Jericho and Edge. They all seem to do it pretty well. A few years ago, after jericho lost the undisputed title the fans absolutely hated him.. detested him, then they put him in a story with Trish and Christian..everyones remembers what happened. And the fans LOVED him the following week.. Similar with HHH, he does it all the time though. Best heel hands down though...Gotta be HHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Gonna have to go with Roddy Piper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 swx22000

Brock Lesnar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Triple H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

(1) Freddie Blassie
    (2) Ric Flair
    (3) Terry Funk
    (4) Roddy Piper