Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Christmas

• 03-12-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there,

I’ve a friend coming for Christmas dinner who is an excellent person but REALLY difficult with food. She’s a vegetarian (dairy and honey are fine but no seafood, meat etc) and if also extremely picky ie she doesn’t like olives or capers and is highly suspicious of tofu, any type of vegetable protein, cous cous etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of something that is festive, non offensive to a trad Irish tastes but doesn’t have any meats in it?

And for those who reckon she hates food- she’s the first to admit she is far from a ‘foodie’ she is still a great person and we all have to eat. I would like to make an effort.

thanks

Comments

I'm a veggie, If I was going to someone elses house for xmas dinner I'd bring my own. It's the most important meal of the year afterall. Why expect someone who isn't used to cooking veggie food to pull it off.
    I'd ask her if she is bringing her own, if I were you.

Failing that there is a fabulous magazine, The BBC Good Food Vegetarian Christmas. It's on the shelves now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

How about a nut roast? They're popular with vegetarians. My mum had one for me the one year I didn't eat meat at Christmas. I think you could probably get them in M&S or something or there's a Vegetarian endorsed recipe here.

I have a similar problem in that I'm having my friends over for "Christmas dinner" in 10 days and I invited a girl who I never expected to come. She's just RSVP'ed yes and I've remembered she's a vegetarian... Hopefully, she can just help herself to veggies though, because I'm not going to a lot of effort and expense for someone I barely know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Puffin

thanks heaps, the nutroast looks great and i'll keep an eye out for the bbc book

Advertisement