Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Irish lads in Kosovo??

• 03-12-2007 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I'm currently working here! How safe is it as a few irish lads on the way over told me a few horror stories!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm currently working here! How safe is it as a few irish lads on the way over told me a few horror stories!

Horror stories from Kosovo, not a chance!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I mean in the last while, and they involve foreigners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Big difference in working in Kosovo as a Civvie as opposed to being there on duty.

I haven't been there recently but back in '02 it wasn't that bad, had one attempted hi-jacking - kept the car but lost a tooth :o - so not too bad. Usual rules apply, keep your eyes open, don't do anything silly and if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't so get out of there.

Check out the Kukri bar if its still there - used to be ex-pat central - run by a Brit, can't remember his name but was a sound bloke.

Nightclubs used to be dodgy so take advice from the guys on the ground as to where you go.

Whoever you're working for will probably have a security officer/advisor, listen to what they say. The Balkans is a strange place until you get used to it.

On the flip side, Macedonia is only down the road, Skopje has to be the safest city I've ever worked in, has a decent Irish Pub (and many others) and Mavrovo ski resort is an hour or so south, dirt cheap and is uncrowded to boot.

In summer Thessalinoka is viable for a weekend, not much there, but is "European" in terms of shopping etc.

All in all not a bad spot to be stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

yeah i just got back from kosovo in april, over there for 6 months, its quite safe now, the only weapons we found while searchin cars were business men with an armed bodyguard...

the people we spoke to over there just want to get on with their lives at this stage, while their might be hatred between the albanians and the serbians forever all seems to be quiet now.

the independence elections are quite soon i think so perhaps something could happen after that?

as oilrig said, macedonia is 2 hours drive and its good for shopping(dont buy perfumes off blokes outside shops unless you want an expensive bottle of toilet duck!!) and thessalonikka is quite nice as he also said, but although its greece and you will have pictures of yourself sunbathing on a beach its a port town so its all smelly water with big tankers sittin in it,

so to summarise, kosovo is grand!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Twas there with the 1st Transport Coy, we were the advance party,it was partially unstable then but now aparently it is quiet.

Just beaware the Albanian mafia are very much in control and NATO spend a lot of their time policing moreso than soldiering, the threat from Serbia is no longer and the UCK(KLA) merely went from supposed freedom fighters to Criminals involved with that particular mafia.

• Advertisement

Lads cheers for the advice, I'm doing work in the industrial zone(around from the Un police compound) and staying back up town so its taxi city. Hotel is fine and there are a couple of bars/cafes near so hopefully all will go well, wonder if they'll do me a turkey for xmas!

Edit: Just realised this morning all of the german people in the hotel are Police, I might get them out for a few drinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

If you're going to be there for a while, think about renting a house rather than paying hotel bills. I lived in Dragoden, up the hill towards NATO HQ, decent enough area, looking down on town central etc. Can't remember the rents.

If you're going to be there for a while get out of the hotel - for your livers sake if nothing else... ;)

I dont min the hotel, the company is paying for it, I'm here til new years home for a few days then back ove for another week, food in the hotel isnt bad and the beer is cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

yup and all the coffee shops do pizza for 2 euro, ya cant go wrong

and just an observation but all the women have amazing bodies!! whats goin on there!?!? :p

Advertisement