Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing the Oracle 10g Admin I exam?

Options
  • 03-12-2007 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

So I've finally taken the plunge and signed myself up to do the Oracle 10g Admin I exam in three weeks.

Anyone got any good resources, tips, etc.? I've got the Oracle OCP book from Osborne press, plus the CD has some sample exams on it, but I was wondering if there was anything else I should be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

You can get some great e-books such as "Oracle Database 10g - The Complete Reference", which is published by Oracle Press. Takes you from the bottom, upwards to advanced object oriented concepts.. Ive the PDF here, it's pretty good, considering Im new to Oracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dathai wrote: »
    You can get some great e-books such as "Oracle Database 10g - The Complete Reference", which is published by Oracle Press. Takes you from the bottom, upwards to advanced object oriented concepts.. Ive the PDF here, it's pretty good, considering Im new to Oracle!

Yeah, I've got that one. Pretty big - what is it, 45 chapters?

Just an update on this, if anyone comes across this thread at a later date, don't use Oracle sample exams from TestKing.

I haven't done the exam yet, but I can already tell the TestKing exams are utterly rubbish. Littered with spelling mistakes, no feedback on answers and poor quality exhibits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

tom dunne wrote: »
    Just an update on this, if anyone comes across this thread at a later date, don't use Oracle sample exams from TestKing.

I haven't done the exam yet, but I can already tell the TestKing exams are utterly rubbish. Littered with spelling mistakes, no feedback on answers and poor quality exhibits.

I would beg to differ.
    Of course I would not encourage anyone to use these as far as I know it is against the agreements of the exam.

But I know "independent studies" have shown that the majority of those papers are THE actual exam questions in 99% of cases.

iRock wrote: »
    I would beg to differ.
    Of course I would not encourage anyone to use these as far as I know it is against the agreements of the exam.

But I know "independent studies" have shown that the majority of those papers are THE actual exam questions in 99% of cases.

Ok, now I am confused. Is there some problem with the likes of TestKing that I am not aware of? I am new to the whole certification thing.

I also got a friendly PM from another Boards.ie user pointing out something similar. What exactly is the problem? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

TestKing are widely reputed as a "braindump". That is, they often use actual exam papers from Microsoft rather than test papers based on the material and exam format against Microsoft's wishes. Microsoft, IIRC, have actually brought TestKing to court about it in the past.

Oh, I see. So would I be correct in assuming the same can be said about their Oracle exams?

So they are in a gray area, then, are they?

Does that mean that I am actually in a helluva lot better shape for the exam than I think? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yeah, chances are that they employ the same practices across the board.

Very grey, to the point of no discussion of how to acquire their services :)

As for how much better prepared you are, thats not necessarily true either as the exam structure could well have changed since the papers you tried out on were "acquired". Better to stick to officially sanctioned sources.

Very grey, to the point of no discussion of how to acquire their services :)

Point taken, we will leave it at that so.

You learn something new every day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

TK were brought to court by MS for selling trade secrets. They settled it by promising to remove all MS exam content from their site and provide training resources.

Only thing is it covers only MS...

Oracle is probably an exam copy rather than test questions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement