Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Flap Install

Options
  • 03-12-2007 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

Can anyone recommend someone to install a Pet Door in a glass door in the Dublin area?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cr1272

Can't recommend anyone, but when I was in New York last year, I saw a fantastic way of installing a dog flap in a patio-doors, but havent seen it in Ireland yet. It was a separate glass panel with a dog flap, that sits between the open patio door, and the lock, and locks to the door, making it secure.

I hope i'm explaining it correctly! But it was a great idea.

Heres a link to something similar: http://www.petdoors.com/panel_pet_door_info.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

They are great. Would love to get similar if anyone knows of anywhere that does these here please let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They're brilliant! If anyone knows where to get on please let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭valz_walsh

Heya

I found this site, its in the UK though. It says the dog doors are quick and easy to assembly. As theres step by step fitting and usage instructions enclosed. Iv never tried them so Iv no idea what there like. But from Swing 11 on-wards they say they can be used in glass.

http://www.petdoorsonline.co.uk/acatalog/Ferplast_Pet_Doors.html

Could the dog door, mentioned by cr1272, be made separatly? As in buy the dog door and fit it into the glass door beside it, then buy glass to fit over the dog door. No idea how secure it would be.

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Depending what sort of dog you have I would be very careful putting a dog flap into a glass door.

I had a glass panel in the bottom part of my door that I changed for wood and put the flap in that. The speed my pair go through the flap, if I had left the glass it would have been broken the first day.

If the whole door is glass I would worry they could get decappitated if they go through it ninety miles an hour. Could you knock a block out of the wall and put it into that? I have seen that done for cat flaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 RMG

We're currently thinking about a new kitchen extension and one requirement would be a dog flap big enough for a labrador.

We currently have one in the back door, which works great but is very drafty in cold weather.

Seeing as we will be starting from scratch, is there anything better than just cutting a big hole in our shiney new door and putting in a flimsy plastic flap?

Can you put them into walls if you build in the hole as the blocks are being laid? would these be more durable and loose less heat than the door ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

I got a cat flap installed by Cornelscourt Glass in October and they did a good job. Give them a call first, they are on the web. If this doesn't work out go to your local pet shop as they may have a contact name. Once I bought the flap Cornelscourt came over, took the measurement of my window pane and installed it within a week. A good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Can those of you who have a dog flap for a big dog please advise what make you bought? We have springers and they can break a door in less than 24 hours. I got a 'medium' sized dog flap in our local DIY shop but it was clearly of inferior quality if they could break it so quickly. It was installed in a wood panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 huffet

@golfgirl,

do you mind telling me roughly how much they charged from this? Think I need to get one installed into double glazed glass (bottom of door) and would like to know what i'm looking at! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

hey
    any updates on this
    need to get one installed but i dont want to do a half-assed job

• Advertisement
Advertisement