Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!? Which MoBo to replace my fried "DFI LanParty 915P - T12 Chipset"

Options
  • 03-12-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

Need some advice. I'm pretty sure my MoBo is fried and I can't find the exact same MoBo anywhere so I was wondering if you could advise a good MoBo that would work with all the below components:

Antec 600W PSU
    DFI LanParty 915P - T12 Chipset MoBo (now fried!)
    Intel P4 3.4Ghz HT 2MB L2 Cache (Socket 775)
    Hyper Cooler Overclockable to 4.4Ghz
    2 x 512Mb DDR1 Corsair XMS - PC3200 (DDR400) - Latency: 2-3-2-6
    Point of View nVidia Geforce 7800GTX 256MB PCI-Express
    Western Digital SATA 200GB HD
    Maxtor SATA 120GB HD
    Samsung DVD/RW 16x
    Samsung CD/RW 32x
    3.5” Floppy

I was looking to get exactly the same MoBo as I didn't want to have to format and try to figure out where each plug had to go bit it's impossible to find a DFI LanParty 915P - T12 Chipset MoBo anywhere nowadays! :(

Anyway, thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a sign that it's time to upgrade. Why invest more in such ancient hardware? Get a core 2 board, at least that way if you so wish you can keep your current processor, and just suffer the expense of new board+ram until you decide to get a dual core. Or if you go AMD you can keep your ram, new semi-decent board and x2 6400+ (extremely fast) only costs about 250 euro. Excellent solution if you're not an overclocker but if you are then Intel can't really beaten for performance per euro and you'll get a combo that will pummel your P4 for about 200 .

In fact from either Intel or AMD you would easily get a setup that'd run rings around your current one for as little as 140-150. If high end isn't a concern.

Other then that, try good old ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

That's very interesting HavoK! I'm actually thinking of getting a brand new rig soon (January perhaps) but I wanted to fix this PC first, keep everything as is, and sell it when I decide to get that new rig.

So anyway, my question is: can I get a new MoBo and Processor (Core 2 Duo obviously) and keep my current RAM, cooler and Graphics Card?

You can keep your cpu, cooler and card, but not the ram. But you can get 2gb of decent ddr2 ram for about 70 euro, so it's not overly expensive. So you need a new board and ram at the least (200 would be a good budget), and the board, ram and cpu for a complete overhaul (320 would be sufficient) though as I said if you're on a budget, you can just get the board first and continue using your P4.

If you're an overclocker you can get incredible performance from Core 2 Duo. A 70 euro processor can be overclocked to come close and even above that of a 200 euro one without any difficulty. AMD can not offer that sort of flexibility although for someone who is most certainly not overclocking, they offer good value for money and are worth considering also (will outperform a core 2 duo in the same price range at stock)

You don't need a brand new rig, you already have the good basics (case, psu, hard drives, optical drives, semi-decent video card), a new board, ram and cpu and you'll be flying. Unless you plan on playing Crysis at higher settings, the GTX is also fine for most games still and could last awhile longer easily.

Here's an example. Intel route would overclock like a dream and has ability to outperform the 6400+. But purely at stock level, it'd still be adequate for games, but the 6400+ would be far, far superior - this would still be the case if you got a Core 2 for the same price when you're talking about stock performance.

Ram wise, I'd cost as much to get another gig of DDR ram so just going DDR2 would make more sense, with it's much lower cost in comparison.

The AM2 board I used also supports Sli, so you could add a second card if needs be. Of course nothing stopping you using Sli with a 775 board either, but it costs more generally.

Really, the only situation in which to recommend AMD at the moment is to someone who doesn't want to overclock.

step.jpg

Wow HavoK! You've sold me! :D

I think I'm going to go down the upgrade route!

However, could you advise which MoBo, RAM and Processor I could get for let's say, around €500 EUR? Ultimately, I'd like to get a system that can run CoD4 easily enough and Crysis (maybe not on Full but on Medium settings).

I know this involves getting a much better Graphics Card and I intend to. But in January or February (8800GTX perhaps).

What do you think about the Komplett "Upgrade Kit Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, Asus P5N32-E SLI, 2048MB"? Will my Cooler and other components work with this Kit? Will the PSU handle it?

I'm really sorry about all the questions... I'm not very good with PC hardware... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

However, could you advise which MoBo, RAM and Processor I could get for let's say, around €500 EUR? Ultimately, I'd like to get a system that can run CoD4 easily enough and Crysis (maybe not on Full but on Medium settings).

I know this involves getting a much better Graphics Card and I intend to. But in January or February (8800GTX perhaps).

What do you think about the Komplett "Upgrade Kit Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, Asus P5N32-E SLI, 2048MB"? Will my Cooler and other components work with this Kit? Will the PSU handle it?

I'm really sorry about all the questions... I'm not very good with PC hardware... :o

the new nvidia cards are comin out in FEb !!

500 is a good budget. That kit is OK - note it comes with basic value ram. So while it's a saving off buying them separately, it doesn't mean it's necessarily good value. Though the 6850 is an extremely powerful processor, remember what I said about overclocking - if budgets tight, a $100 cheaper processor with overclock to the same performance levels easily, freeing up more money for other areas. And that's just on a beginner level, anyone with a bit of overclocking experience would yield even more. Overclocking is the true value in Core 2, if it's raw power without having to overclock you're after then AMD is better value (in dual core, not for quad). Though it's not exactly the route to go for future proofing. The Ram will do the job fine, to be honest, with that kit. Just make sure you don't buy anything you don't truly need, i.e do you need the Sli board? No point paying for something purely on the basis of it gives me x for x cheaper if you aren't going to actually utilize the full use.

You might want to consider this as well, cheaper and the Quad Core is a better future proofing option, though right now the 6850 will perform better in games. However, both will be fast enough that the graphics card will decide performance rather then the processor, so it's a bit of an unnecessary lead.

You can use your existing cooler if you want. PSU should be OK, what model is it? Do you have a link? But if it's working fine with your current hardware it'll be fine with new stuff as well. I'd leave getting a graphics card for awhile right now if it's high end hardware you're looking at purchasing. Bad time to buy such cards with the new ones out soon. If you get the Sli board, you can always pick up a second GTX on ebay or adverts for very cheap (sub 100 euro) for Sli.

7800GTX should run COD4 at high settings already without any problems as it is, Crysis is a little less forgiving but right now it's an exception rather then the rule.

Hi HavoK!

Thanks again for all these helpful posts! :)

I think I am going to get this "Upgrade Kit Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Asus P5N-E SLI, 2048MB". However, I think I'm going to see the Corsair Value RAM straight away and order better RAM at the same time.

I'd like to get 2 x 1024MB of better RAM and I was wondering which one you would recommend with a budget of around €100 EUR? I don't understand the "PCxxxx" number of the DDR2 RAM so I don't know if, for example, this MoBo can handle PC8500 RAM?

Would this "Crucial DDR2 BallistiX PC8500 2048MB CL5 ,Kit w/two matched BallistiX 128Megx64" RAM work to its full potential on the Asus P5N-E SLI MoBo?

Thank you again for your invaluable assistance! ;)

Found a link to this RAM in another post. I've never heard of these guys... Is that RAM any good in your opinion?

Never used Geil myself but it's got a good rep. The ram you've linked there won't work, the board will only take up to 6400 (800mhz). Which is fine, you don't need anything faster, unless you're a real benching freak and/or overclocker. It's not that you need amazing ram, just something better then the A-Data stuff would be nice. But that said, it'll still be fine, I've actually not heard anything negative about it despite the cheap price (aside the obvious, that it's not good for overclocking). If you're getting the upgrade kit, just stick with the A-Data stuff for now. You won't notice any problems.

• Advertisement

So will this GeIL 4GB "PC2-6400" work with that MoBo or will only "PC6400" work on it? I don't know the difference between "PC2" and "PC" only! :(

In your opinion, will I see a difference between the Corsair Value RAM included in the Kit and this "OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT, w/two 1024MB PC6400 XTC, CL4-5-4-15" RAM? Is it worth paying the extra €68 EUR?

So sorry about the flood of n00b questions! :o

Yes it will work. Remember you'll need a 64-bit OS to see all that ram. If you're buying that upgrade kit, stick with the AData ram that comes with it. It'd be uneconomical to go buying more ram on top of that and to be honest you really won't notice any noticeable difference unless you were running benchmarks and overclocking. It's reliable. Put the extra money towards a new card/second GTX (one went for 80 on adverts recently so sli for 80 euro would be nice)

So if I get this right, "PC" only RAM is for 32-bit OS and "PC2" RAM is for 64-bit OS. Is this correct?

I have Windows Vista 64 but I'm not a big fan of it so I'm not sure I want to install it yet... I'd rather stick to XP until SP1 is out. I've just started using Vista on my new laptop (bought last week) so I'm in no hurry to have Vista on my PC also...

Unless you tell me that the Q6600 will only run to its full capability with Windows Vista 64! In that case, Windows Vista 64 it is! ;)

So in your opinion, no point in getting the "OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT, w/two 1024MB PC6400 XTC, CL4-5-4-15" then? I thought that the low latency would make a difference when playing games... Then again, I'm not that good when it comes to computer hardware...

I'd like to order that upgrade Kit this afternoon to get it delivered before the week-end so I'm waiting for you to tell me if it's worth getting the OCZ Platinum RAM from Komplett at the same time! ;)

Oh and as for SLi, do I have to get another 7800GTX from Point of View or will any other 7800GTX from any other Manufacturer work?

I've never messed with SLi so I'm a little worried to say the least!

And I checked the price of a brand new Point of View 7800GTX and they're still really expensive! :eek:

No you misunderstand about the ram. Ram is not related to the OS in anything other then quantity. Any ram with work with regular 32-bit, just not exceeding 3.25gb. The only things you need is DDR2 ram, and to make sure the speed of the ram is compatible with the board.

My advice about the ram, if you're buying that upgrade kit, stick with the A-Data value ram that comes with it. Yes, the Platinum ram is better, but not enough that under normal circumstances there'd be remotely as near a difference as there would be between processors and video cards. You won't really notice any difference. The only time you might start to feel it's limits would be overclocking and frequent benchmarking against similar systems with better ram.

So if you are buying all the components separately - get the better ram. If you are getting the bundle that comes with the A-Data, that's also fine. Don't worry about it.

Yes, you need another GTX from any manufacturer. Don't buy it new! My point was that if you can find a cheap one, it'd be a nice boost for very little $$. I was thinking in the $80-100 range. Oh, and I don't mean Dollars, it's just that my euro key is broken. Again, I've seen 7800GTX going for between 80-100 over the past month or two on adverts. Keep an eye out. The problem with Sli is that it will not work for all games, and in rare cases will actually decrease performance. But that's rare. The point being, going brand new Sli is never really economical, but picking up a dirt cheap second card much later on is.

Thanks HavoK! I've placed the order for the Upgrade Kit (removed the OCZ RAM) and paid a little extra to get it delivered in 1 to 2 days!

Can't wait to get this Kit so I can start playing CoD4!!! :D

Thanks a million for all your help HavoK, you've been awesome! ;)

As for the € sign, it should work if you do Ctrl + Alt + 4 / $ (unless it is your Ctrl or Alt key that is broken...).

I'll be talking to you in 2 days looking for help on how to install all this new stuff so brace yourself! lol

Enjoy! I have to wait till Christmas day for my upgrade...:rolleyes:

By coincidence...7800GTX for 100 euro here.

HavoK wrote:
    Enjoy! I have to wait till Christmas day for my upgrade...:rolleyes:
    That's in just 3 weeks! Hang in there! ;)
    HavoK wrote:
    By coincidence...7800GTX for 100 euro here.
    I wouldn't mind spending €100 EUR on a second 7800GTX however, this one is factory-overclocked to 480MHz / MHz1300. Mine is running at 430MHz / 1200MHz. Surely this will cause problems won't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

JUST to let you know, re cod4 ,ive got amd cpu 4000+ x2 dual core 2gig ddr2 ,graphics card nvidia 7300 256meg ram pci-e card .MY PC RUNS COD4 fine, i turned off,water,reflections low, aa off,bullet casings off vsync off, textures low, shadows low,graphics medium settings,at 1024x768,32bit.AND IT STILL looks stunning, like a very good 360 game.MY display 19inch crt.IT plays real smooth, you may wanna get cheaper card while you save 4 a 8800 card,or get an amd type mobo with a pci-e ,and agp slot ,if you have a FAST agp card.
    MY pc feels ten times faster than my old amd 2.0 ghz pc .i,ll post back ,here after i install the crysis demo.I installed large heatsink on the cpu,so my pc is almost silent,my old pc was noisy ,with 3 fans in it.WITH games
    like cod4 ,with winxp,2gig ram, the graphics card is way more important than the cpu,if i had a 8800gt i think i could play it with all effects water,textures ,turned on at 1200x1000 resolution.
    BUT you still need a dual core cpu to play it.Take precautions re anti/static
    when installing mobo/ram/cpu, cards etc.Theres always pci-e cards going on adverts.ie .

Thank you for your post Gamer!

I'm not worried about the performance of my 7800GTX as my girlfriend has just bought me a XFX Alpha Dog Nvidia 8800GT Extreme Version for Xmas! :D

That should run CoD4 ok! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement