Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about .ie domain registration

Options
  • 03-12-2007 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Apologies, I'm sure this is a FAQ, but I can't find the answer anywhere here.

I'm designing a website for the first time, I've been through the IEDR site and some of the FAQs on name registration on some hosting site.

I get the impression that I can't just set up a site called, e.g. www.ratemycabbage.ie unless I have some kind of legal entity set up called ratemycabbage (or that happens to be my name).

Am I right or have I missed a category somewhere? A quick search on IEDR shows a lot of ratemywhatever.ie sites, only a few of which appear to be registered with the CRO.

Presumably I could just set up ratemycabbage.com, though I'd prefer the .ie domain. Would having the .com registered give me any greater claim to the .ie site?

Any clarification would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As far as I know you don't need a company called ratemycabbage to reister that domain name ratemycabbage.ie. You use to but not anymore.

Also you've given me a great idea for a sire. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

As far as I know you don't need a company called ratemycabbage to reister that domain name ratemycabbage.ie. You use to but not anymore.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot then. I presume the fee will be refunded if they reject the registration.
    Also you've given me a great idea for a sire. :D

What, www.ratemyking.ie? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

You will need _some_ claim to the domain name. A registered business name is the easiest and most straight-forward way to get this.

Simply being Irish doesn't mean you can get whateveryouwant.ie unfortunately.

In this case, an RBN is probably the most straight-forward way, unless you happen to have Rate My Cabbage on your birth certificate or ESB bill.

Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Get an RBN from www.cro.ie before you apply for the domain name - that will pretty much guarantee it goes right through.

Alternatively, you can write a letter to the IEDR explaining what you want to do or why you deserve the domain, and apply under the 'discretionary' category.

The second option is a little less reliable, although any decent provider will refund or allow you try another name if it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The second option is a little less reliable, although any decent provider will refund or allow you try another name if it fails.

I think some people are levying an administrative fee...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Aha! Wasn't aware of that, we certainly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks for the advice everyone. Might try the discretionary route first. If that doesn't work I presume I just fill in the 'New business name' form on the CRO site and pay my 20 quid? And then try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If there's any commercial angle to the proposed site then get an RBN. It will save you time and headaches

Advertisement