Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crimping issues

Options
  • 03-12-2007 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

OK I got good quality cable installed, a patch panel, I got a stripper, a crimper, the plugs, my coloured/ twisted cable guide and the enthusiasm, so away I go, ...........what...…. OK what the hell is the trick in getting all those stripped cables into those small holes and have them stay there so I can crimp the bleeders and don't say "call and engineer" I am one, albeit not an electrical one true, but I want to give it a go first and then admit defeat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Then I just line them all up in the correct order and hold them in a line, then cut them so they are all the same lenght.
    And carefully push them into the plug all in one go.
    Make sure the wires aren't too long so they hang out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Also when you push the wires into the plug make sure you can see the tips of the wires are touching the metal contacts at the end of the plug as if not its a complete waste of time and you will have to cut the plug off and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

When you have all your pairs in order and cut to required length, flex them up and down until perfectly straight. Thats one of the methods I have used, practice a few times until you get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

As Hal1 said, practice, practice, practice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

why in gods name would you use good cable, a patch panel and then ruin all that by using self crimped RJ45's..? Im sorry but I just dont see the point. Crimping those badly will cause you serious problems in the long run. A good crimper costs about 25 euro, for that you would have several average quality wall sockets.

Is there a reason why you cant use proper LSA punch down wall plates or modules? It would save you lots of time, lots of headaches and give you a far better data connection..

Eoghan
    Fusion Networks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

FusionNet wrote: »
    why in gods name would you use good cable, a patch panel and then ruin all that by using self crimped RJ45's..? Im sorry but I just dont see the point. Crimping those badly will cause you serious problems in the long run. A good crimper costs about 25 euro, for that you would have several average quality wall sockets.

Is there a reason why you cant use proper LSA punch down wall plates or modules? It would save you lots of time, lots of headaches and give you a far better data connection..

Eoghan
    Fusion Networks
    I agree with Eoghan. You should never have to crimp crystals unless it is a temporary urgent fix. Alway punch down everything and use proper patch cables to connect the patch points to switches and computers.

Advertisement