Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good piano album

Options
  • 03-12-2007 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    imlookin for suggestion on a good piano album
    piano sounds invokes huge positive nrg in me, and i want to get my hands on a good album
    any suggestions
    i no now im not giivin ye anything to go on in terms of my tastes in music, but i have an appreication in house and trance, maybe hit is just a natural progression i dunno.
    thanks for ur time
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You mean an album of piano pieces by one composer or a random compilation of piano pieces?

Try this by Philip Glass if you'd like modern stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Piano-Philip-Glass/dp/B0000026Y4

or Bach's Goldberg Variations for some great classical/baroque music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Not sure if it's quite what you're after, but I've been listening to a lot of Hiromi Uehara, fantastic pianist:

Absolutely stunning music, so if you're in for some piano stuff, I can't recommend her enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I like Gonzales - Solo Piano. Might want to try some samples of it first

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tori Amos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Almost anything by Debussy, Chopin and Beethoven (to name but a few)

Incredibly creative, beautiful and expressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

relatively unknown but still sweet - Luke Slott

worth a listen if you can find the album - should be some track on his website or myspace

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yann Tiersen

This is just the first link i found. Probably his most widely known and the textures are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

unreal thanks for the shares!
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Yann Tiersen

This is just the first link i found. Probably his most widely known and the textures are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

House and dance fan?

BT has the best piano accompaniments for any dance artist IMO, bordering on the classical in some places....spine tingling stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

unreal thanks for the shares!

glad you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

keith jarret - the koln concert

seriously, best piano album ever. recording of a live gig, completely improvised.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

keith jarret - the koln concert

seriously, best piano album ever. recording of a live gig, completely improvised.

+1

Amazing amazing album. Part III being my favourite. I used to play it (well, my poor attempt at it) in the Burlington hotel lobby from time to time until I got stopped one night by some grumpy old man asking me to play something everyone knew. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

eurotrotter, it depends what you want to feel :D If you want to close your eyes and zonk out on the couch, Bach's Goldberg Variations are worth a listen.

Piano conterto's can be good if you don't want to just listen to piano... Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev all offer something completely different - all are great, they just have you thinking in a different way if you catch my drift...

Another option are Chopin's Etudes - they cover a nice range of moods. Other fine pieces are the likes of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies (available on a double-CD) or even a good compilation of Liszt's greatest works would include the better known ones (No. 2 you may have hear) and something like his Consolations on Leibestraum. On Chopin again, there is a fantastic recording available in Tower Records (or at least there was until recently) of both Chopin's Piano Concertos. The recording is of Artur Rubinstein and Marta Agierlich, both were made live on Polish Radio in Warsaw, I think some time in the late 1960's. Pump up the volume and you will think you are at the concert... Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Forgot to mention of course... if you hate classical music, next best bet is Jazz. Bill Evans was a bit of a God if you want to give him a shot... Gotta agree about Keith Jarrett aswell - another legend. Any of the Bill Evans Trio stuff is great. For solo stuff, get either of his "Alone" albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Try graham fitkin and his album - Log

I can't find his music from that album on youtube - its music for four keyboard s - amazing

Heres one of his tracks:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XXL4H3JCoP0

Advertisement