Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Gti

Options
  • 03-12-2007 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi Guys,

I've just ordered a new Golf GTI for Jan delivery. I got leather as an added extra. Any one know if the front seats are heated? I received mixed feedback on this question from the garage. On the UK site it's says standard when ordering leather, though I know VW Ireland tend to rip out all alot of standard features the UK cars have.

On the VW.ie site it says Leather + 8GD. Any1 know what the 8GD stands for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why not ask the garage where you ordered the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lars-irl wrote: »
    Any1 know what the 8GD stands for?

At a guess, I'd say it's the VW option code for leather. VW option codes are 3 digits long. Maybe if any boardsie has leather in their Golf they may be able to confirm by looking at the sticker on the inside cover of the service schedule book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yes, if you spec leather seats in a GTI, they are also heated.

did you make sure that the car that you are getting has the uprated engine with 230bhp. the current car has close to 200bhp. the 230bhp engine is currently only in the more expensive gti edition 30 but that engine is going to be standard from some time in 2008.

glasso wrote: »
    did you make sure that the car that you are getting has the uprated engine with 230bhp. the current car has close to 200bhp. the 230bhp engine is currently only in the more expensive gti edition 30 but that engine is going to be standard from some time in 2008.

Says who? That's purely speculation, and hasn't been confirmed by anyone that I'm aware of... and if it did happen, it would be towards mid-year (when VW normally introduce the following year's model).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lars-irl

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Says who? That's purely speculation, and hasn't been confirmed by anyone that I'm aware of... and if it did happen, it would be towards mid-year (when VW normally introduce the following year's model).
    Thanks Lads for answering the question regarding leather heated seats. No didn't order the engine with the 230bhp. Never read or was told anything about 230bhp becoming the standard spec.

No didn't order the engine with the 230bhp. Never read or was told anything about 230bhp becoming the standard spec.

As I said, it isn't possible to order a 230bhp in Ireland... at least not for the foreseeable future. I believe the ED30 (which has 230bhp) wasn't made available here, because it would be priced too close to the R32.

that engine is due to become the standard in 2008 at some point. i.e. will come as the normal gti engine. I didn't say that the ed30 was available in Ireland....

Fair enough - it seems that it might still be speculation!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_drive.php?sid=352&page=7

Glasso, it may well happen alright, and lads on UK VW forums have been speculating it for a while, but there's nothing confirmed by VW yet... and people who'd paid the extra wedge for the ED30 over there certainly wouldn't be happy if they did ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

All GTIs coming out of the factory these days have the BWA engine code,these engines are also in most of the MK2 octy VRS's and have been proven on Rolling roads to be putting out at least 222BHP as standard,reason is they uprated the pistons to cope with problems from poor petrol in some countries,so check your engine code you will most likely be lucky.

Interesting! Where do I find the engine code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Hi Guys,

I've just ordered a new Golf GTI for Jan delivery. I got leather as an added extra. Any one know if the front seats are heated? I received mixed feedback on this question from the garage. On the UK site it's says standard when ordering leather, though I know VW Ireland tend to rip out all alot of standard features the UK cars have.

On the VW.ie site it says Leather + 8GD. Any1 know what the 8GD stands for?
    I have nothing in writing but I seem to remember when I was buying mine earlier this year that leather seats equaled heated seats. Anyway, don't rely on what the garage says!
    glasso wrote:
    Does the extra 30bhp come with free four-wheel drive! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Interesting! Where do I find the engine code?

On the engine :D but also in your log boot or on the vehicle data sticker usually under the boot carpet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

glasso wrote: »

Its not 08 yet and the OP has ordered his car so how can he get this bhp as its not confirmed yet.It only costs approx 400 to get it chipped to over 240bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most fwd cars with more than 200bhp will suffer from terrible torque steer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

bazz26 wrote: »
    Most fwd cars with more than 200bhp will suffer from terrible torque steer.

I thought all the fancy electronic aids have tamed that?

BostonB wrote: »

I suppose alot of this is down to the dynamics of the chassis rather than just electrons.

The current Astra OPC has 230bhp afaik and numerous reviews have made reference to it having terrible oversteer.

A small few cars however can cope with it, the current Focus ST with 225bhp being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The current Astra OPC has 230bhp afaik and numerous reviews have made reference to it having terrible oversteer.

Oversteer?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Oversteer?

My bad. Should have read understeer. :o

• Advertisement

I suppose alot of this is down to the dynamics of the chassis rather than just electrons.

A small few cars however can cope with it, the current Focus ST with 225bhp being one.

I didn't think chassis design will do anything for torque steer. Thats the one place where electronics have their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

My bad. Should have read understeer. :o

No worries I just thought they had managed to do something really weird to the car

Excuse my complete ignorance here but is torque steer when accelerating one of the driving wheels gets more torque than the other so the car doesn't exactly drive straight even if the steering is held straight

Can this happen in cars with an lsd?

No worries I just thought they had managed to do something really weird to the car

Excuse my complete ignorance here but is torque steer when accelerating one of the driving wheels gets more torque than the other so the car doesn't exactly drive straight even if the steering is held straight

A LSD (depending on type) will reduce it AFAIK.

Torque Steer is simply where applying power (torque) effects the steering. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steering

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

BostonB wrote: »
    The only way the electronics can tame torque steer is by reducing power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Torque steer quite bluntly put, is where you are hanging on for dear life trying to keep the steering wheel aiming straight when you are accelerating but the power is so great that the front wheels are not gripping properly.

The Golf GTI does it a little, the OPC does it a LOT and the ST I have not driven.

Advertisement