Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car but which car?

Options
  • 03-12-2007 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Buying my first car, which to go for?
    Ok well I'm finally buying my first car, wayhay! I have been driving for years now so I am not really looking at entry level cars. These are the different cars i've been looking at on a budget of 8-9 grand. I also need to be able to run it for about fours hassle free(hopefully) years with good fuel economy.

I've been eying these lately all have there ups and downs i figure!

CHECK THE 3RD POST FOR LINKS!

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index...r&carID=792844

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index...r&carID=799807

Any other ideas, I really am not to bothered on weather its a hatch or salon really!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

neither of those links worked mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Ah funk, something weird happening there, but yeah Cionad has the right ones there in his post!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

both nice cars, very different

Id not go near the alfa though, now just going on what ive heard theyre not reliable(never had any experience of them myself) however they look the sh*t,

my uncle has one of those passats, the diesel one..........and he loves it, he does a lot of miles and its stood him well since new

something like this just came into my headhttp://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=845366
    not in the vain of the others I know:)
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=719847
    a bit more passatish
    I like blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

has to be the 147

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

The passat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

id go for the passat aswell..alfas can be alot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Passat, by miles... Although if u could, go for the diesel, better resale value... Stay away from the Alfa, no offence to any1 who has one...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tread very very carefully if you're looking at those 2 exact cars.

Yeah I was worried about the Alfa as I really won't be able to get another car for 4 years.

I heard the diesel Passats we're pretty indestructible.

Colm, care to elaborate?

• Advertisement

If it's english (the passat) high chance of being clocked.... Along with every other import...

Tbh I thought it had really low milage for a 01 Passat but how do you know its english?

Maybe if I could get my mits on the log book?

Ring and find out??? Or try www.cartell.ie, it'll cost u, but it'll save u in the long run... I'd only reccomend doing so if u are serious about the car... And i just realised there's no reg on it, so u have no hope unless u ring... If he/she gives u an english reg, there u go... If it's a high numbered irish one, ie. 00LK12300 u will no it was recenlty registered, ie. an import... Best bet is to ring them. Ask for the reg and the exact mileage... Don't take an "around". Ask for exact...

Yeah, suppose thats the safest bet, its in great nick it seems, may pop down tomorrow and have a gander. Now to try and find a diesel Passat in good condition!

Another thing, would it be crazy to go for a Passat or be it any other car with 100,000+miles on it?

woop wrote: »
    both nice cars, very different

Id not go near the alfa though, now just going on what ive heard theyre not reliable(never had any experience of them myself) however they look the sh*t,

my uncle has one of those passats, the diesel one..........and he loves it, he does a lot of miles and its stood him well since new

something like this just came into my headhttp://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=845366
    not in the vain of the others I know:)
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=719847
    a bit more passatish
    I like blue

I do like that Mazda 6 actually Woop, lovely color to!

ON that, i'd ask some1 else... Lol I'm very biased when it comes to anything over 100k.... I don't like them... And to be honest, if ur keepin it for 3 to 4 years, u want the car to have some value left in it... Not something with 150k etc that hasn't much value... Obviously if u can, get a lower mileage one... Just be very careful with english imports. U don't want to find that u buy something with 100k on it and then realise (when it's too late) that there is actually more mileage on it...

Maybe i'll just buy the car and run it into the ground I don't think I would be hugely bothered about resale value tbh once I get a few years out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I would highly recommend the Passat.
    Go for the 1.9 Tdi though, it's far better.
    I had a 2001 Tdi Passat and I'd find it hard to fault it.
    In case you don't know the Passat and the Audi A4 are practically the same care, they're made by the same company.
    I've owned both and I think that the Passat is streets ahead of the A4.
    Passat's have decent power, great comfort and reliability and the interior's great, especially the dash with it's blue illumimation.

England's definitely worth considering as an option.
    VRT on a 2001 Passat is about €2000 for a Tdi and you can easily pick up
    a real good 2001 Tdi for €5,500 - €6,000.

A friend recently got a 2001 Petrol Passat, identical to the one you're looking at.
    He bought it at an auction in England for £2,250.

Regarding dubious mileage.
    If you take a Passat to a VW / Audi dealer and get them to
    plug their diagnostic equipment into the car.
    They connect to their main database and can retrieve a history of that
    car, showing every time it was taken to a VW / Audi dealer and what the
    mileage was at the time of each visit. It cost me €35 the last time
    I had it done.

Well then get the Passat... I've seen some of these do huge mileage... If u can get the 130bhp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 finkaboutit555

If you want fuel economy, Go Diesel.

Avoid The Alfa Like the Plague..Its a bit like Brittney Spears,Pretty to look at, But has more than its fair share of problems..

The Passat is Top Car..Have never heard of one giving trouble..

I've a few Different cars over the years.
    A 99 Toyota Corolla (3 door van) 2ltr Diesel,Brilliant wagon in every way..

03 toyota Corolla (4door hatch) 1.4 petrol, Nice car.

Drove a MG for a while (3Dr hatch) Quick Car, Fun to drive but you get sick of it after a while..

Switched Jobs had to buy my own then,

A 01 Nissan Primera Saloon 2ltr Turbo Diesel Really Nice car,Comfortable, Quick,Reliable, Over 600 miles to a full tank of Juice.

I now have a 03 Mondeo 2ltr TD. Took me a long time to get used to it, But Now I'm a Ford man for Life. Getting just under 600 to a full tank..

If you were lucky to get a good clean Primera, It will give you the four years that you want with no Major Problems..

• Advertisement

Hmmm, thats not a bad idea Armin I wonder if its much hassel importing from England? Where do I start?

The Passat is Top Car..Have never heard of one giving trouble..

Do you know anyone that owns one or knows about cars?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you know anyone that owns one or knows about cars?

Not quite sure what your gettin at!!!
    But yeah I do know a couple of people that have them. And I have drove them,Would definately go for the diesel version,Someone mentioned the 130bhp, It is a good model.. You might wanna check insurance first though, I know you say you've been driving for years but Is this also gonna be your first policy??

I've only ever heard one definite complaint on the 130bhp, they and too easy to pull burnouts (or however u'd like to describe it) in...My father has had three passat since 01... Only for they haven't changed a bit since his 06 model, he would be waitin for the arrival of his 08... Also we have 3 volkswagens in the family atm, and in the last ten years i wouldn't dream to count how many we;ve had altogether... But we never seem to of had any major/minor problems with any of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

*Tripper* wrote: »
    Hmmm, thats not a bad idea Armin I wonder if its much hassel importing from England? Where do I start?

Well here's what I can tell you...

First if you buy a car in England try to get the entire License Certificate from the seller as opposed to just the receipt part.
    If no Licence Cert is availabl you can apply to the UK DVLA for a
    Certificate of Pernament export which should take about 2 weeks to reach you.

Actually importing ithe car is extremely simple.
    Bring the car to your local County Coucil offices.
    Someone in their VRT dept. will fill out some forms with you.
    Then they may or may not visually inspect the car to check you've given
    them the right model number, mileage, etc.
    You can pay them the VRT on the spot and in return
    they will issue you with your new Irish registration number, on the spot,
    01-D-1234, etc.

You will then of course have to NCT the car.

If you intend to buy the car in England and take it back on the ferry you should check with insurance companies first about actually taking the car into Ireland.
    Some insurance companies will temporarily insure the car off the Foreign Reg or off the Chassis Number.

What I'm getting at is that Passats are far from being as reliable and fault free as people that have never owned one make out.

Limerick man seems to know a fair bit about them!!

Don't get me wrong, they do have there problems... From reading on boards over the last few months people have mention a few problem. I myself haven't personally experienced any... But generally wear and tear is going to eventually result in things needin replacment... I'm speakin from my own experience..

Advertisement