Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puggle Pups

• 03-12-2007 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Anyone know of someone with Puggle Pups for sale?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cr1272

You should find out if there is an official club in Ireland, and go to them to get a list of recommended breeders. Don't go near Buy & Sell.

Chances are, you might have to go to the UK, in which case, again, contact the right people and go to a recommended breeder.

First stop would have to be the Irish Kennel Club I suppose. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The "Puggle" isn't a breed, just a mix.
    There is no breed standard and no breed organisation and they 're certainly not registered.

Any "breeder" you may find will be a "dabbler" at best.

Plenty of adorable mixes of all kinds in rescues.

In my my mind there is no need to pay anyone for "creating" a new mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cr1272

I agree with the previous poster. If it isn't a pedigree breed, then you should NEVER pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

The recognised breeds have only come about from people selectively breeding for desirable traits, so if you want a dog to share the characteristics of a pug and poodle - why can't you pay for it? really, i'd love to see all mongrels rehomed first, but thats unrealistic. a crossed breed has the perks of knowing the size/coat etc to expect but the animal will be less prone to breed specific illnesses, i think that refusing to pay because its not a particular breed is unfair, i mean, why not pay? you're not recieving inferior love/devotion/companionship.

The recognised breeds have only come about from people selectively breeding for desirable traits, so if you want a dog to share the characteristics of a pug and poodle - why can't you pay for it? really, i'd love to see all mongrels rehomed first, but thats unrealistic. a crossed breed has the perks of knowing the size/coat etc to expect but the animal will be less prone to breed specific illnesses, i think that refusing to pay because its not a particular breed is unfair, i mean, why not pay? you're not recieving inferior love/devotion/companionship.

First off ...a "puggle" is a mix between pug and beagle (supposedly)

Secondly, a crossbreed has no guarantee whatsoever of showing a clearly defined appearance or behaviour ..we're not mixing "yellow" with "blue" here to receive "green" but it's genetics instead. So there can be quite different appearences between litters and even in the same litter ...never mind different behaviours and temperaments. What happens to those dogs that don't look as advertised and are unsellable?

Thirdly, crossing two breeds with all their associated health issues does not automatically mean that nature only selects the healthy bits from either breed to combine it to an issue free new result ...it can (and does) go the other way as well.

And lastly, while I'm no great fan of established breeds or breeders, at least some of them genuinely have the health of the breed at heart and do research and selective breeding to improve the breed ...wheras (in my opinion) all these new "breeds" are just created to expand the market, offer "something new" ( and hopefully fashionable) and make more money.

The whole dog population worldwide through overbreeding is by now so riddled with heredetary diseases that the last thing it needs is more new "breeds" where more amateur "breeders" dabble at stirring the genetical soup ...in most cases to the detriment of the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Pugs are known to carry these genetic diseases. This list is not meant to be complete.

Atopy
    Cleft Palate
    Collapsing Larynx
    Collapsing and Hypoplastic (small, narrow) Tracheas
    Demodectic Mange
    Distichia
    Dystocia
    Elongated Soft Palates
    Entropion
    Everted Laryngeal Saccules
    Heart Disease
    Hemivertebra
    Hernias
    Hip Dysplasia
    Hypothyroidism
    Keraconjunctivitis Sicca
    Lagophthalmos
    Laryngeal Polyps
    Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease
    Liver Disease
    Luxating Patellas
    Missing Teeth
    Pigmentary Keratitis
    Portosystemic Shunt
    Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA)
    Pug dog Encephalitis (PDE)
    Renal Disease
    Seizure Disorders
    Tongue To Big and Long For Mouth
    Wry Mouth; teeth out of alignment

Beagles also have a wide variety of genetic disorders:

Eye Disorders
    Cherry Eye -- Very Common
    swelling of the gland of the third eyelid
    Glaucoma
    increase in fluid pressure inside the eye
    Cataracts
    clouding of the eye lens
    Retinal Dysplasia
    folding or displacement of the retina, may lead to blindness
    Progressive Retinal Atrophy
    cells of the retina deteriorate over time causing blindness

Other Disorders
    Epilepsy -- Very Common
    brain dysfunction resulting in seizures
    Elongated Soft Palate
    soft palate at the back of the throat is elongated and interferes with the larynx
    Hypothyroidism -- Very Common
    Dysfunction of the thyroid gland, causing numerous clinical signs including wieght gain poor hair coat, reprodcutive problems and more.
    Cleft Lip and Palate
    opening between oral and nasal cavities, can impede pup from nursing
    Monorchidism
    one testicle does not descend
    Cryptorchidism
    both testicles do not descend
    Intervertebral Disc Disease
    degeneration of the intervertebral discs, causing severe neck and back pain
    Pulmonic Stenosis
    heart defect, may cause heart failure
    Kidney Failure
    Bladder Cancer

Lovely crosses - I'd say - will come out of that and HUGE vet bill if you are unlucky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

The current recognised breeds have been developed over years of breeding, ''puggles'' and all the other ''designer dogs'' are just first generation mongrels, you can get a mongrel any time from a pound/rescue for a small fee/donation and give a nice dog a good home without paying out hundreds for a dog and be lining the pockets of some eejit adding to the dog overpopulation and calling himself a ''breeder'' .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shooter McGaven

Thanks for all your replies guys, ive decided to go to the local rescue, the problem is im looking for a small dog (i live in a small town house) hence the puggle pups, so i hope they have something small...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

EGAR wrote: »
    Lovely crosses - I'd say - will come out of that and HUGE vet bill if you are unlucky...
    The reason those breeds have such a huge list of common diseases is, like all pedigrees, they are genetically extremely weak because of the tiny gene-pool that is the result of very selective breeding. It is somewhat similar to incest.

A crossbreed is likely to be much stronger genetically.

Sean_K wrote: »
    The reason those breeds have such a huge list of common diseases is, like all pedigrees, they are genetically extremely weak because of the tiny gene-pool that is the result of very selective breeding. It is somewhat similar to incest.

A crossbreed is likely to be much stronger genetically.

Not quite ...

To stick with the "pool" analogy:

If you mix water from one shallow& murky pond with the water from another shallow & murky pond the resulting mixed water is not going to run clear all of a sudden :D

In order to introduce greater genetical diversity you dont want to breed from genetically restricted breeds but from real mongrels that still posess most of the original, diverse "dog" genes.

But then of course you have the problem that you don't know what you're starting with and if the end result is accident or "design" and the additional "problem" that none of your end "product" is marketable because they all look different and aren't instantly identifiable.

They'd most likely be healthy(er) but far less profitable ...

and so were back to the reason why there are so many "designer" crosses out there at the moment ...they look good and the "crossbreeds are better"-myth helps sell them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your replies guys, ive decided to go to the local rescue, the problem is im looking for a small dog (i live in a small town house) hence the puggle pups, so i hope they have something small...

When talking to the rescue, describe your situation as honestly and correctly as you can and they should be able to find a suitable dog for you.

Don't get too fixated on size. Large & quiet is probably more important than small & noisy in your situation.

shooter, i'm glad your going to a shelter, imo, its definately the best choice! pm me if you don't find a suitable dog as i work closely with a shelter that may be able to help!

EGAR, you could write up a list of dispositions that long for just about any breed.

:o beagle/poodle, my view doesn't change, that just because your dog won't come with a bit of paper means you shouldn't have to pay for it. i think that is a choice to be decided between the current and future owners.

also, it really is true that even first generation mixes are less prone to pre-disposed illnesses.

:o beagle/poodle, my view doesn't change, that just because your dog won't come with a bit of paper means you shouldn't have to pay for it. i think that is a choice to be decided between the current and future owners.

By the same rationle you would have to pay people who's unsupervised pets had "a bit of an accident" for their pups as well ...then again most people do just that anyway :D
    also, it really is true that even first generation mixes are less prone to pre-disposed illnesses.

Care to back that up with some evidence of the scientific kind? (possibly not released by the breeders of "oodles, poos, doodles" and other creations)

It's brilliant that your going to get a dog from a rescue! :D
    You could also try the local pounds :)

peasant wrote: »
    ...you would have to pay...

i didn't say you should have to pay, just that if you wanted something in particular, then you should be able to choose to pay.

The crossing of two in-bred lines results in progeny that are more vigorous than either parental line: they are often larger and more resistant to disease.

Heterosis Effect

Purebreds and inbreeds often carry genetic disease. Heterosis is the phenomenon where crossing two inbred lines can produce descendants with superior genetic foundation. This increased health and vigor does not create a superior breed, but the advantages obtained from it are what produce hybrid vigor. This goal in this scenario is not to create a new breed, but to create a happy and healthy pet.

Heterosis effect results in a healthier, more vigorous dog with a reduced chance of genetic disease. It is well known in all domestic animal breedings, hybrids 50%-50% mixes of two different breeds will raise the chances of having less genetic diseases because all doubling of detrimental effects will stop in the first generation. The genetic term for this is HETEROSIS EFFECT. This effect often gives non-related individuals stronger descendants than inbreeds.

also, i'm a veterinary nurse, and my views are of course based on my own experiences. :rolleyes: hmmmm, i'm not here to fight peasant...

I'm not here to pick a fight either ...but please not the use of wording like CAN and OFTEN (rather than will and always) in the bit that you quoted there :D

But even IF a first generation cross is healthier than both its pure bred parents, the effect is then soon negated by having (or wanting) to reproduce the winning formula for marketing reasons. All the "designer breeds" are marketed as separate "breed" with a brand name. Their producers don't sell "hopefully healthy fisrt generation crosses of random breeds" ...but "Puggles", "Labradoodles", "Malti-poos" and whatever else looks and sounds cute.
    So once the first generation is sold, they start to "solidify" the "breed" by breeding crosses with crosses (to get the uniformity of appearance the new brand needs in order to sell) ...and hey presto ...we're back to square one. Just another inbreed "breed" with its own set of health issues.

If people absolutely want a cross, they should pick a Heinz57 from the pound, delight in its uniqueness and not support another set of greedy dog multipliers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭fits

Or a ponydoodle... theres hybrid vigour for you! :D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Cross between a poodle and a my-little-pony??

Any luck with the dog search, Shooter? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dian George

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Dian George - this thread is 2 years old, also there are no sales on boards.ie.
    Our rehoming thread is only for animals that need rehoming due to certain circumstances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement