Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genres

Options
  • 03-12-2007 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

I love how everything seems to be done in genres these days. Indie seems to be the dirty word, I've seen threads bad mouthing "indie" bands, promoters saying they won't book "indie" bands...

... what's the craic, are people just too lazy to put any effort in these days?
    I've seen "indie" bands rock far harder then "rock" bands, infact I've seen what would nearly be called "Blue Grass" bands put some heavy rock bands to shame.

How do you classify yours?

Is it all down to fashion sense at this stage or what? Just curious.

Oh, and obviously there's a huge gap between opera and rock etc, just incase someone comes into town swinging that aul point.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Is it all down to fashion sense at this stage or what? Just curious.

Rough guide. That's all.

I don't put too much thought into them, because they're never a rigid discription.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

moved to music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Genres are how HMV decides where to put the CD, they have nothing to do with music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Agree with Karl and the Doc. I think mankind likes classifying things, which is why the concept of genre came about. Its just a convenient and quick and dirty way of classifying music or of describing style. It has nothing to do with quality, I've never heard a musical genre without some music I liked in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Ah damn it being moved from bands&musicians... that was the target audience!

I tried to highlight this in threads and was told to keep on topic and my post deleted. Ah. AHHHH!

Mainly sick with people saying "I don't want to form another ****ty indie band"... what the hell does that mean? Are people so stuck in rigid moulds that certain types of singers can't play with other genres etc etc. Ugh, I dunno what I'm even getting at anymore... whole thing just bugs me.

I'm not genuinely opening up the genre tin of worms here in the music forum, I really just wanted posters in the bands&musician forum to consider what they're saying when they get their generalisation on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement