Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.243 or .308

Options
  • 03-12-2007 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

thinking of trading in the original rifle and moving up to either one of these.just cant for the life of me choose which.The platform would probably a remington sps.Im trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of each round for irish shooting which would be a mix of targets,fox and knocking over the odd deer in the future.
    The .243 is available in a wider range of weights and has a higher balistic coeficient.The .308 has the option of running cheaper amunition through it if pure accuarcy isn't the goal.Both are great rounds.

Opinions would be appreciated
    Remmy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If it were me I'd go for .243.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Chances are you'll have to do less pleading to get the .243

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

well I purchased a .243 recently , couldnt really justify anything bigger ever for dear with perhaps the exception of 6.5mm. Getting the licenace for even a .243 was a struggle to be honest.
    In relation to the ammo you need to shop around there is a lot of variation depending on manufacturer and weight etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

I shoot both but would use .243 more, flat shooter,great for fox,deer,target,only downside is price of ammo,mostly
    use 308 for long range target, ammo is cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I've got a .308 Sako 75. Its an accurate weapon. I'd be wary of remmy SPS's, I believe they can be pretty hit and miss.

I can't fault the 308, its a hard hitter and accurate. My biggest gripe is a lack of relatively light factory ammo ie sako 123gr .308 are hard to find. 150gr is the lightest round i've seen available, and its too much for foxie. If you are going shooting foxies along with deer I'd go with the .243, but if you fancy a bit of target shooting the 308 would be better.

Have you put any thought into a 25-06? flat and fast shooting- would be better than a 243

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

thanks for the replies guys.
    jonty,
    yeah sako 75's seem to be some shooters .I hear the hear the same things with the sps.I believe this is just down to the crappy stock they have on it thats not bedded.They do have the standard remington action which is fairly rock solid.

Yeah the 25-o6 seems to be well thought of too.only drawback seems to be the lack of match amunition and range of available ammo that the other two have:rolleyes:.some medicine for deer though i hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Bit of a newbe to high cailbers

Im interested in trading up to shoot fox and the odd deer too,

Just curious to know

What rage are we talkin about comparing .243 Versus 303 - 200 - 300 yards?

Does anyone know off hand the average price of each round?

How do they comapre against buying second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Remmy wrote: »
    thinking of trading in the original rifle and moving up to either one of these.just cant for the life of me choose which.The platform would probably a remington sps.Im trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of each round for irish shooting which would be a mix of targets,fox and knocking over the odd deer in the future.
    The .243 is available in a wider range of weights and has a higher balistic coeficient.The .308 has the option of running cheaper amunition through it if pure accuarcy isn't the goal.Both are great rounds.

Opinions would be appreciated
    Remmy

hi remmy, i bought a .243 about 2 months ago its a styer i havent zeroed it in yet should have my new scope this week, just a word of warning to ya i had a .223 sps and it was the worse gun i have ever had grouping 4 to 5 inches at 150 yards with a rifle rest:eek: my anschutz was nearly putting holes in holes at that range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

pm
    very fond of steyr's.what model did you settle for?I'd love a prohunter in .243 but they seem to be a fare bit dearer than the sps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Remmy wrote: »
    pm
    very fond of steyr's.what model did you settle for?I'd love a prohunter in .243 but they seem to be a fare bit dearer than the sps.

this is the one, try going for a second hand one where are you living ?http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bellum.nu/armoury/SSSG69P1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bellum.nu/armoury/SSSG69.html&h=150&w=612&sz=33&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=_xnzrAYiTMtHXM:&tbnh=33&tbnw=136&prev=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

hi there i have used 243 s 270 and 25,06 for a about 15 years or so and have shot hundreds of deer with the 270 .i mostly shoot my sako 75 .25,06 now .and find it to be a true all round caliber going from 75gr to 120 .so much so i sold the 270 and the 243 gets out very little.you can down load federals load charts ,you might find interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Pm, I just took delivery of an SSG in 308-- have to say I love it, prefer it to my steyr manlicher classic. The safety is less complicated and the rotory magazine is nice. Been a bit to windy last few days to get a proper zero.

Advertisement