Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muzzle Loading and Black Powder

Options
  • 03-12-2007 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I was looking at the possibility of importing a Colt Navy Model 1851 Cap and Ball Revolver. This would mean the use of black powder to fire it.
    Has there or is there a definitive answer available on what procedures you need to follow to get this black gold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

TMC121 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I was looking at the possibility of importing a Colt Navy Model 1851 Cap and Ball Revolver. This would mean the use of black powder to fire it.
    Has there or is there a definitive answer available on what procedures you need to follow to get this black gold?

Hi TMC121,

Some good news. You can have black powder as long as you follow the guide lines set down in the explosives act 1875 and the stores of explosives act 1955. Noting could be easier.

1st:

download an application form to register a premises with your Local Authority: Register Premises Application Form. This can be downloaded for ease at www.justice.ie

This form is to give notice to your local authority that you intend to keep gunpowder or mixed explosives. this form must be filled in and returned to the local authority every year, for as long as you have gunpowder or mixed explosives on site.

Mixed explosives are termed as small arms bullets or safety fuse if stored in the same place as your black powder.

2nd:

Then all you have to do is obtain an application form to obtain a store licence from your Local Authority. All you have to do is tell them where you are going to store your black powder. Dont for get to enclose your TO SCALE MAP of the building (the store) and surrounding buildings. If say you wanted to use your garden shed? You have to inform them as to the make up of the floor, walls, roof and door. No problem I hear you cry! (dont forget to enclose to scale plan and elevation drawings)

Next you have to make sure the building is made from any of the following building materials: Brick, stone, iron or concrete. Or on the off chance you live in a hollowed out volcano:excavated from solid rock, earth or mine refuse not liable to ignition. Also make sure it has a good strong door to prevent danger from the outside.

If you dont live in a mine or hollowed out volcano, make sure you connect an approved lightning conductor.

You also have to inform the local authority as to the distance the store will be from protected works.

These are: Houses, roads, workshops, paths, Railways, Kiln, canal, river, port etc........

A full list is provided for safe distance for each from the store.

Once you have all of these forms filled in and relevent paper work enclosed just pop it in the post to DOJ St Stephens Green, D2.

And sit back and await your licence for you pound/Oz of black powder.

SAMPLE AS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

Well no one said it was going to be easy!
    All that just to hold a 1/2 pound can of Black Powder.

Reallisticly some in charge needs to look at this whole thing. BP shooting is a popular sport in other countries but the authorities here seem hell bent on preventing it taking hold in Ireland.

Thanks for the info

Yea prob easier to open your own nuclear power plant alright. Pitty. Its going to be hard enough convincing the government to allow us to keep pistols and rifles without confusing them with BP and de-acts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The process doesn't look too bad actually, you have me interested now, always wanted to try out BP.

Provided you're properly licenced, is it purchasable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Theres an alternative,.. Pyrodex, not regulated as far as i know, just substitute the pyrodex for the BP by volume.

You can make percussion caps out of toy caps with a thing called a Tap O Cap.

Your problem is going to be the pistol license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Of course this could be called reloading and may all be illegal.

Just remembered that there is a napoleonic reenactment crowd in Sligo that use BP, you could ask them a question or two, think they're called the connaught rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭nonex

chem wrote: »
    Hi TMC121,

Some good news. You can have black powder as long as you follow the guide lines set down in the explosives act 1875 and the stores of explosives act 1955. Noting could be easier.

1st:

download an application form to register a premises with your Local Authority: Register Premises Application Form. This can be downloaded for ease at www.justice.ie

This form is to give notice to your local authority that you intend to keep gunpowder or mixed explosives. this form must be filled in and returned to the local authority every year, for as long as you have gunpowder or mixed explosives on site.

Mixed explosives are termed as small arms bullets or safety fuse if stored in the same place as your black powder.

2nd:

Then all you have to do is obtain an application form to obtain a store licence from your Local Authority. All you have to do is tell them where you are going to store your black powder. Dont for get to enclose your TO SCALE MAP of the building (the store) and surrounding buildings. If say you wanted to use your garden shed? You have to inform them as to the make up of the floor, walls, roof and door. No problem I hear you cry! (dont forget to enclose to scale plan and elevation drawings)

Next you have to make sure the building is made from any of the following building materials: Brick, stone, iron or concrete. Or on the off chance you live in a hollowed out volcano:excavated from solid rock, earth or mine refuse not liable to ignition. Also make sure it has a good strong door to prevent danger from the outside.

If you dont live in a mine or hollowed out volcano, make sure you connect an approved lightning conductor.

You also have to inform the local authority as to the distance the store will be from protected works.

These are: Houses, roads, workshops, paths, Railways, Kiln, canal, river, port etc........

A full list is provided for safe distance for each from the store.

Once you have all of these forms filled in and relevent paper work enclosed just pop it in the post to DOJ St Stephens Green, D2.

And sit back and await your licence for you pound/Oz of black powder.

SAMPLE AS!!

And dont forget your 10 cent stamp fee, with your application, thats only 1 step there, then you need to take 9 more steps to get your black powder, most give up at step 3.

whats step 3? virgin sacrifice?

Advertisement