Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best and Worst Gimmick Ever

• 03-12-2007 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭

The heel thread got a nice response so id like to know everyones opinion on this

Ill kick it off with Big Daves 'Deacon Batista' gimmick with brother D-Von

And of course the Undertaker for the best imo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Best : Has to be Austin. No nonsense,trash talking S.O.B!

Worst: The Johnsons that were in TNA. Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Best - Million Dollar Man

Worst - Johnny B. Badd, Van Hammer or Shockmaster

WWE has had some terrible gimmicks over the years, but WCW is the undisputed champ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Worst: The Giant Gonzales *shakes head* :(

Best: Sting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Best: Tempted to say Hulk Hogan but the Undertaker persona had way more depth to it so that's my choice.

Worst: Shockmaster. It flopped within a second. Now that's impressive. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

jesus Big Dave got a few raw deals.

What about Leviathan, the big bad guardian of the gates of hell. Apparently, OVW’s evil-manager Synn summoned Leviathan from hell through a portal in the Ohio River, making him a true sea monster. poor Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Shockmaster was bad but it might not even been remembered had he not made such a shocking debut.

My vote for worst gimmick has to go to WCW's "The Yeti". I just did a quick search on youtube but couldn't the link I was looking for but he does appear in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LchAsMRV10

An utter abomination.

Best Gimmick - I think The Undertaker has stood the test of time like no other.

or this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobbledygooker

and what about poor terry taylor 'The Red Rooster' now that was criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Jesus...We Can only Pick one ??

The Killer Bees :rolleyes:

Los Conquistadors :rolleyes:

Coco B-Ware :rolleyes:

Leaping Lanny Poffo :rolleyes:

As for the Best, gotta be the Undertaker by a mile. Still going strong today, Hogan a close second. Austins up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Worst Gimmick- Boogeyman. actually, scratch that. Tugboat

Best Gimmick- Goldust

Goldust was such a brilliant gimmick at the time, particularly with Booker T. So many great clips like Booker and Goldust at the movies. I can't believe Black Reign is so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Worst gimmick was Mantaur. Half man, half taur!

I'll say Raven for best gimmick. He was a perfect fit for ECW back in the day and he worked it so well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

best: taker

worst: eugene, warlord, berzerker, trash man guy, isaac yankem and all the other "occupation" gimmicks, which technically used to include taker. repo man was bad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

forbesii wrote: »
    best: taker

worst: eugene, warlord, berzerker, trash man guy, isaac yankem and all the other "occupation" gimmicks, which technically used to include taker. repo man was bad too.

dont think you can call being a berzerker an occupation:D

krudler wrote: »
    dont think you can call being a berzerker an occupation:D

More a lifestyle choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

More a lifestyle choice!

all together now! huss! huss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 d.harney

simon dean being a health freak was pretty poor. snitsky having the feet fetish a few yrs ago didnt last to long either.

i think the hurricane was a good gimmick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Worst gimmick in my opinion is probably Mr Mahons fake death & his little "Bastard son"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

recent bad gimmicks include the boogeyman, black reign, the daltons, the heartthrobs, the dicks etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

d.harney wrote: »
    simon dean being a health freak was pretty poor. snitsky having the feet fetish a few yrs ago didnt last to long either.
    I actually liked those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The Best: The Undertaker, STone Cold.

The worst: William regal's man's man gimmick, fake diesel and fake razor ramone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Real831

Best: Austin, Rock, HBK
    Worst: McMahns

• Advertisement

Real831 wrote: »
    Best: Austin, Rock, HBK
    Worst: McMahns

Mr. McMahon is one of the best gimmicks ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Real831

Opinion. Think its tacky.

My occupation is a berzerker. I wear big fluffy ug boots and shout at everyone I know.

Actually, My favourite gimmick was definitly Al Snow.

He was an absolute king. From his tag team matches with Head, where he would tag in head and just hit people with him, his tag team run with Steve Blackman, better known as head cheese and his run as European champion where he would represent a different European country every week. He was a king.... Then there was Maven :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    his run as European champion where he would represent a different European country every week.

I remember that. I recall liking that idea a lot and hoping they would do an Irish theme but I don't think they ever got round to us. I remember him coming out to French music one time and handing out baguettes if I'm not mistaken!

That was Al Snow? I could've sworn it was D'Lo Brown for some reason! I was only getting into the WWF back then I think

I just remebered another really bad gimmick - MVP. Not the current Smackdown MVP, but a baseball dude with a painted face. He was absolutely sh1t. Bastion Booger was a really, really bad gimmick as well and Adam Bomb was cr@p too. Really bad play on words. What was Vince thinking? Who was he trying to appeal to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I just remebered another really bad gimmick - MVP. Not the current Smackdown MVP, but a baseball dude with a painted face. He was absolutely sh1t. Bastion Booger was a really, really bad gimmick as well and Adam Bomb was cr@p too. Really bad play on words. What was Vince thinking? Who was he trying to appeal to?

Also known as the Brooklyn Brawler, didn't last very long and yes it was terribly poor. :)

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    Also known as the Brooklyn Brawler, didn't last very long and yes it was terribly poor. :)

MVP was the Brawler? Meaning MVP could technically be inducted into the HOF one day! OMG:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭filament

Best - Kurt Angle - like him or not, great character
    Worst- The brooklin Brawler

Was he the guy on Raw in the opening segment? I didn't catch a proper look at him but I assumed it was the Brooklyn Brawler dressed up. Didn't give his name as MVP for obvious reasons

Fozzy wrote: »
    Was he the guy on Raw in the opening segment? I didn't catch a proper look at him but I assumed it was the Brooklyn Brawler dressed up. Didn't give his name as MVP for obvious reasons

I never remember him being on the opening segment and I dont think he lasted very long, but I think he is at the very start of the bad gimmicks youtube video earlier in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Best - Stone Cold,Mankind or the Original Undertaker

Worst - The Undertaker when he returned as the gay biker.How crap was that??????
    Dudelove - even Foley hates that period of his career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Perry Saturn's mentalist gimmick. Very similar to Al snow and head, except done very badly with a mop. I hated moppy.

• Advertisement

Moppy was BRILLIANT. Not as good as head but class

His name is Abe Knuckleball Schwarz aka Steve Lombardi aka the Brooklyn Brawler

I see what your talking about now Fozzy, I hadnt seen RAW. Yeah thats the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Worst - Beaver Cleavage, thats was pretty ****, not to mention weird.

Best - The Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I really cant see past Eugene as the worst gimmick ever. Take a talented guy and give him crap to work with. Fair play to Dinsmore for actually having a go at it but can you imagine being told after years of hard work to finally reach your goal of being a WWE superstar that you are going to be playing Eric Bischoffs retarded nephew? I would take Shockmaster, The Gobbeldy Gooker, Brooklyn Brawler etc any day over that.

• Advertisement

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Fair play to Dinsmore for actually having a go at it but can you imagine being told after years of hard work to finally reach your goal of being a WWE superstar that you are going to be playing Eric Bischoffs retarded nephew?

I'm sure I've read Dinsmore saying in interviews that he came up with the gimmick himself. You could say it's unfortunate that he felt he had to have some outlandish gimmick to get noticed though. He's a really good wrestler but he never got to show it in WWE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Not sure about that cos a while ago after one of his matches a fan in the crowd said "youre better than this" and he turned around and said "i know" which is a big no no.
    He got alot of heat from Vince over it.

In an interview in September he said this:
    With regards to the development of the "Eugene" character in the WWE, it was created by himself, as he has a friend who has a son whom he based the character off of. He took it in his direction, and made it more wrestling-oriented. He had no problems "living the gimmick" for the fans outside of the shows (meeting fans at autograph sessions/behind the arena) as well, despite what the "smart fans" might have said otherwise.

From http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/stories/Nick_Eugene_Dinsmore_Interview_Talks_about_WW.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 12 swx22000

Awful Gimmick on KANE: Before Kane became Kane he was Yankem, a dentist character that bombed quickly, and they also had him as substitute Disel brought in by JR , another bad gimmick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

Best gimmick = evil Doink or the Undertaker

Worst = Nightmare Freddie, Doug Gilbert dressed as Freddie Kruger with fake rubber hands and mask. Wrestlecrap's finest only saw it myself last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

pingu_girl wrote: »
    Best gimmick = evil Doink

I got to admit that the clown really creeped me out as a kid. Even when he was a good guy I could never trust him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I forgot about that clown! Yeah he was cool... Never knew he turned good... (must have stopped watching then). The Undertaker too, maybe...

Worst persona / character name ever was... The Red Rooster! esp. when he used to do that silly walk thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Answer for both: Goldust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Scott Hall

Best= Raven

Worst= Who

Best: Kane

Worst: Kerwin White

• Advertisement
Advertisement