Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The gobdaw on Irish Times/Matt Cooper who was charged >€800 for a service...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You need to also consider the time factor. I can do all the basics myself but it may mean sacrificing a day's overtime. If I do overtime and pay someone else to do the service I'm still 'quids up'.
    Clearly you work in the Civil or Public Service (maybe Health even?) with such an emphasis on overtime!:D

All the basics take 30 mins, and you can do them after lunch on friday, or on monday when you're off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

You need to also consider the time factor. I can do all the basics myself but it may mean sacrificing a day's overtime. If I do overtime and pay someone else to do the service I'm still 'quids up'. :D

so true, i meant to include this. I work shift so I have at least 3 days off every week, usually i can find an hour or 2 spare :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Max_Damage wrote: »
    But look at it this way, how much money would you really save (if any) if you get it serviced at a garage and get ripped of every time, then sell it, rather than servicing it yourself FAR cheaper, & selling it at a lower price without a FSH?

Excellent point, you'd save over a thousand €'s if you done it about 4 times, plus you'd have peace of mind that it was done right if you know what your at.
    I don't see why he was afraid to say which garage it was, afterall if he paid money for a service he has the right to say I paid this much for that but maybe they charged too much.
    He did pay over the odds then was afriad to name them, maybe said something about his character...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any time in recent years that I have left my car into a BMW dealer or my wife's car into Pug dealer, the work was completed by an apprentice. I still paid full rates and the work was never dome to my satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Ye dubs are getting rightly screwed! I'm in a position to do all my own work, fortunately, but the garage I work at is seeing a lot of dubs come west for a service - 55e an hour seems to offset the 6 hour round trip!

• Advertisement
Advertisement