Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets' Energy Levels in Winter

Options
  • 03-12-2007 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Do you find your pets' energy levels go down in winter-time?

I'm getting a bit worried about my two cats - either they are turning into lazy puddin's or they are depressed/bored or else its just a normal winter-time dip in energy. I really don't want them to get fat and unhealthy - they are indoor cats so don't do that much walking/wandering.

They used to play with balls, stalk and wrestle each other, pounce on toys etc. Now I wave ribbons, toy mice etc under their noses, roll balls right past them, and they might give a little swipe and then go for a lie down.

They are 7 months old - is it just that they are getting past the playful kitten stage? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

I have never had a cat but my dog's energy levels don't go down in Winter, if anything they are up...

He's 18 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

My cat is spending most of his time huddled in bed with a hot-water bottle during this icy spell. I'd do the same if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

They are really behaving oddly - when I got home from work yesterday, the boy cat had pooed in the kitchen sink!!! :eek: - and - :mad:

I didn't shout at him or anything, just cleaned it up, (lucky it was in the basin so I just threw it away) but he then he spent the evening twitching and hiding.

Also they are winking at me all the time - so strange.

I think they must be getting sick or going nuts or something. I know my vet will think I'm mad if I bring them in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

My one year old male cat is being unusually low key too. Sleeping and eating and thats about it. I don't think he was like that last winter but he was a kitten then and had alot more energy. I don't know if its because I have a new kitten and he just feels like he can't act the baby any more. I just give him extra attention in case he does feel left out. In regards to the twitching and acting crazy thing, he went through that phase as well. It was like he was being bitten or something he would just start biting his fur, thrashing his tail then take off like a lunatic around the room. He hadn't fleas or anything and the only thing I could think of was he has a bit of a fondness for little balls of aluminium foil. I stopped giving them in case he was being poisoned or something and he did seem to improve wheter it was related or not. I wouldn't worry too much about your cats as they do go through phases and come out of them again, sorta like kids and teens really.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Thanks! Its good to know its not unusual. I'll try to stop fussing over them!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement