Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy performance GPU related?

Options
  • 03-12-2007 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Basically, I got back into playing BF2 recently, but my system performance has been so bad that it makes the game unplayable.

My PC is a self-built ShuttleX, 3.2Mhz dual-core P4 CPU, 1.5 MB Ram (DDR) and a Radeon X800 card.

I've basically gone through all the usual suspects, but I suspect that I've 'damaged' the Radeon in a bizarre and unusual way.

Before, I'd be playing BF2 and the fan on the Radeon would suddenly crank-up and get louder, suggesting that the GPU was being worked even harder and needed to cooled down more than usual.

Now, this never happens. I put quiet Zalman fans on the PSU and CPU so I can pretty much hear when the fan on the Radeon cranks up. I usually expect the Radeon fan to work overtime after about 5 minutes of BF2, but now I hear nothing but its normal operation.

I'm looking at getting a Sapphire branded Radeon X1950 Pro, but before I shell out I just wanted to check if anyone has had this type of experience with a graphics card before.

All my drivers are up to date and I've scanned using AVG and Adaware. I've also checked the various processes running in the background.

One other curious thing I've noticed, sometimes if I'm watching Flash videos embedded in a web page, the clip will progressively 'stutter' the longer I watch it. The full clip will have already downloaded, so it's not a bandwidth issue.

Advertisement