Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent Advances In Medicine

• 03-12-2007 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Need help ASAP!

Can anyone tell me a recent advance in Medicine! Any med student out there or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

HPV vaccine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPV_vaccine

It's rather nifty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article2908408.ece

A breakthrough in the development of stem cells from skin cells not from human embryos. This is important as it eliminates ethical and practical problems with the manipulation and eventual destroying of human embryos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

How long is a piece of string?! Actually I haven't done adult medicine properly in about a year so this is going to be a pretty **** list! If Panda's about she'll have better ones, she's gonna be doing some of her finals in this kind of stuff in a couple of weeks (good luck Elisa!)

HPV jab is a good one.

You could also talk about the use of inhaled insulin which can be used by some diabetics (not all of them though!).

Gene therapy is what a lot of people are talking about though now, it could potentially be used for things like Cystic fibrosis. If this happens it'll be the business.

Meningococcus C vaccine was introduced a few years ago.

Jesus I can't think of anything else, better go read up before I get back into Vincents' in January!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

PET CT for cancer screening/staging. Pretty amazing.

*has complete bias on that one though*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

PET CT for cancer screening/staging. Pretty amazing.

*has complete bias on that one though*
    How recent it this? I realise it's recent in Ireland, but overall? I guess it depends how recent 'recent' is. Or am I just confused? I feel very Systems 1... :o

• Advertisement

It's been around a while but it's being developed more and more, there's an awful lot of new research coming out and there's looking at using it for other diseases, not just cancer.

However i'm in cancer mode due to study hence le bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

How long is a piece of string?! Actually I haven't done adult medicine properly in about a year so this is going to be a pretty **** list! If Panda's about she'll have better ones, she's gonna be doing some of her finals in this kind of stuff in a couple of weeks (good luck Elisa!)
    !
    eeeeeeeeekkkk!dont remind me!Congrats to you too!No more obs,paeds,psych 4 eva!yay you!

Well my best piece of advice is to go out and buy the Irish times today for the health supplement.Thats where you'll read all the latest news! Consultant nephrologist was going on about some new breakthrough revoloution type thingy for dialysis patients the other day but I tuned out half way through.....wish Id listened now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Lots of stuff happening in the world of Multiple Sclerosis, such as genetic factors, the role of Vitamin D, new treatments under study or research, including some not designed for MS (e.g. minocycline). A good place for updates & info is msif.org.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

Thanks a million everyone!

Sorry.. I began looking on the internet.... but I got completely confused! DIdn't know the best site to use or anything! So many terms:(

Had to find something... (we sidetracked in biology class a bit)
    Thanks again! Really appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Sorry.. I began looking on the internet.... but I got completely confused! DIdn't know the best site to use or anything!
    Google

There have been a half dozen threads this week which the optimist in me hopes is supposed to be taking the piss out of the lazy student thread.

Google is your friend people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Google is your friend people
    And Wikipedia is like that crazy uncle who bombards you with war stories and trivia, then goes off on some politically-incorrect rant about Ayn Rand or Israel... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

stereoroid wrote: »
    And Wikipedia is like that crazy uncle who bombards you with war stories and trivia, then goes off on some politically-incorrect rant about Ayn Rand or Israel... ;)
    The above makes me miss reputation...

stereoroid wrote: »
    He he he! :p

Technically the best site for medical information is probably PubMed.com, although it depends on how much detail you're looking for. Stick to the abstracts and you should be OK, the full text articles can get a little scary

You need an idea what you're looking for in pubmed too.

Cochrance database can be good enough also and that's totally free to access in Ireland thanks to the State.

I heart Pubmed though.... If only i could marry that site.

You need an idea what you're looking for in pubmed too
    You could always put in 'medicine' and limit it to stuff published in the last month - a bit random but it'd work in this case :p

Remind me to shoot you know it all :p

Then i can look up your case study on pub med. Heh heh.

*hereby promises to never do such an evil thing, radiation is waaay cooler*

ps your search throws up 535 results including 'the history of occupational therapy in spain'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

HIV has gone from a death sentence to a manageable chronic illness (so long as you can afford the drugs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

HIV has gone from a death sentence to a manageable chronic illness (so long as you can afford the drugs)

Or if you break the patent and make them yourself (eg Brazil)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

Talk about incretins, the new drug that caters for all sorts of type 2 diabetics. They're awesome. None of the niffy side effects of your usual oral anti-diabetic agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

electrochemotherapy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

Photochemotherapy

Advertisement