Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The help thread

• 03-12-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

ok, so this thread could possibly die on its arse.

But exams are looming! people are inevitably starting to panic about whats coming up, what to look at, what areas of the course to concentrate on, etc.

I'll get the ball rolling - Irish politics and policy (third year)
    so apparently the questions are across multiple topics and not solely based on one topic. So possibly economy or institution angles? anybody

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

comm 2nd year. we're all screwed for finance right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah I do Irish Politics and Policy too. I'm not sure about the angle. I have the readings for the first and second topics on 'The state, government and governance' and 'Political parties and the party system, access to power' I'll need to get the readings in the fourth topic 'Governing the Economy' as that's linked to the first topic.

There's a good few of the readings on other topics that I've downloaded from Blackboard anyway.

I'm working on the final draft of my essay atm. Have you finished yours 'princess-sprkle'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

MuddyDog wrote: »
    FFS he gives you the paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Chakar wrote: »
    Yeah I do Irish Politics and Policy too. I'm not sure about the angle. I have the readings for the first and second topics on 'The state, government and governance' and 'Political parties and the party system, access to power' I'll need to get the readings in the fourth topic 'Governing the Economy' as that's linked to the first topic.

There's a good few of the readings on other topics that I've downloaded from Blackboard anyway.

I'm working on the final draft of my essay atm. Have you finished yours 'princess-sprkle'?

I should be finished tomorrow hopefully. Best thing ever having a an essay plan & draft though, at least i know what i'm writing is good! What one did you do?

I should be finished tomorrow hopefully. Best thing ever having a an essay plan & draft though, at least i know what i'm writing is good! What one did you do?

I agree. It makes you think about your subject matter with development of your analysis. I'm doing the question 'Are the unions too strong in Irish politics'. I'm arguing that the unions are 'not too strong' with analysis of social partnership and from a comparative view using the case studies of Italy and the Netherlands. What question are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Mmmm no. Were you not at the lectures for the last two weeks?! He has told us basically what is on the paper, short of giving us the actual paper we know exactly whats coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Man this is exactly what I thought last year. I thought that there was a good chance that I failed it, but I ended up getting an A+. He's really sound on marking :) Also, the guy gives so many tips, and the paper is very easy if you know the basic formulas. It's practically the same each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

any help with GEOG10040 essay would be appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I need someone to sit preferably all my second year exams. Except datastructures&algorithims and web multimedia.

This is what happens when you dont go to any lectures. Or practicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭FledNanders

any wild guesses on who will be on section A of third year social theory?

also, what kind of questions are expected for habermas? there's so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

FFS he gives you the paper

where can i get this paper?!
    redcar wrote: »
    Mmmm no. Were you not at the lectures for the last two weeks?! He has told us basically what is on the paper, short of giving us the actual paper we know exactly whats coming up.

ehhh i haven't been to that lecture in a while......you wouldn't wanna tell me what you know on what's coming up?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MarkOShea

ehhh i haven't been to that lecture in a while......you wouldn't wanna tell me what you know on what's coming up?!?!

I'll do the honours....

Q1 is Capital Budgeting. Learn Adjusted Present Value.
    Q2 is an essay on the World Financial Crisis.
    Q3 is an essay on Raising Corporate Capital.
    Q4 is in 2 parts. Half on the maths behind mergers (ie bootstrap effect) and half on Miller and Modigliani.
    Q5 is on Options.
    Q6 is half on derivatives and half on Capital Structure.

Do 4 of the 6 Q's.

So basically nearly everything is coming up! I reckon he'll mark the essays fairly easy if you're not into the mathsy stuff. He kind of said it himself...the essays are there so that people can pass the paper and then the other stuff is a bit more testing.

Edit: If there's anyone out there who's fairly good at this kind of stuff and would give me a grind, or even answer 1 or 2 short questions I have, please do PM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Just get the Peter Brady grind notes and you'll do really well. They were freely available last year so I presume that its the same this year!? Jimmy gives you more or less the same paper every year so you know whats coming up. Its a subject that is quite easy to do very well in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Chakar wrote: »
    I agree. It makes you think about your subject matter with development of your analysis. I'm doing the question 'Are the unions too strong in Irish politics'. I'm arguing that the unions are 'not too strong' with analysis of social partnership and from a comparative view using the case studies of Italy and the Netherlands. What question are you doing?

the accountability question, its going pretty well so far. most people seem to be doing the role of the church essay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

any wild guesses on who will be on section A of third year social theory?

also, what kind of questions are expected for habermas? there's so much!
    Elias...? I've no idea really. I hope its not social complexity. As for Habermas, if you check the discussion board on BB, there's a thread about what the Q's might be like. If you know communicative action pretty well I reckon you'll be fine.

Anyone doing International Justice? I'm thinking of covering a bit of Singer and Rawl's, but I'm not really sure if thats enough.

Elias...? I've no idea really. I hope its not social complexity. As for Habermas, if you check the discussion board on BB, there's a thread about what the Q's might be like. If you know communicative action pretty well I reckon you'll be fine.

Reckon social complexity would be a handy one just to waffle away. I've given up studying habermas he's too time consuming and it's too much effort to try figure out what the **** he's on about so I'm taking the risk and hoping for 1 of the other 2 in section A!

Reckon social complexity would be a handy one just to waffle away. I've given up studying habermas he's too time consuming and it's too much effort to try figure out what the **** he's on about so I'm taking the risk and hoping for 1 of the other 2 in section A!

That's a big risk. The lecturer knows well that nobody would do Habermas if it wasn't a compulsory question.

ah ive basically passed the module already from essay and seminars so I'm not wasting my time on habermas when i could be using it for other subjects. There's WAY too much to cover for just 1 theorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

is there really though? thought there was just 3 main areas...kinda..and theres 3 questions for each so one of the main Q's on habermas has to come up...

Advertisement