Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 motoring irritations

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

cashmni1 wrote:
    car in front makes an erratic braking manouver and grabs my attention, indicates out into on-comming traffic and nearly hits on-comming traffic

And the pedestrian is supposed to be the fool...
    cashmni1 wrote:
    At a later disscussion with a work coueague who travels the same road, I discovered the possibility that the person could be looking for a claim. Be caareful out there!!

It's fairly difficult for someone to make a claim when they're dead. I think you lot are just making excuses for driving too fast on bad roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Drivers who vary their speed for no good reason. You are driving on a relatively quiet motorway for 10 miles and you pass and are repassed by the same car several times.

Then there's the other extreme, the "50 mph everywhere brigade". Crawl on M-ways but keep going at the exact same speed through villages and on narrow country roads

Slow bastard mergers :mad:

Bus lane queue jumpers. Also smartarses who queue jump by driving onto the start of an on ramp from the congested mainline and then merge up ahead.

Drivers who won't use a bus lane even when they are permitted to do so.

Oh and a good one - imbeciles who don't realise that you can use a roundabout to legally and safely do a U turn. I see an awful lot of eejits picking stupid places to turn and causing conjestion when all they have to do is travel another 50 yards further on and do a nice safe U turn at the roundabout staring them in the face :mad: Also driver who insist on turning right from side roads when everything would move a lot faster if they turned left and did a u turn around the roundabout 50 yards up the road. Then there's drivers who just ignore "no right turn" signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Stark wrote: »
    And the pedestrian is supposed to be the fool...

It's fairly difficult for someone to make a claim when they're dead. I think you lot are just making excuses for driving too fast on bad roads.
    Sorry, but I did not make the situation very clear. Yes I can see your point and yes I would most whole heartly agree that driving too fast and not taking notice of other road users will cause deaths.
    I was travelling at aprox 25 to 30 miles per hour (under the 60kph limit) in a line of very heavy traffic. This road is extensively used and is joining a large town to a mojor link road. The large town has a huge pharmaceutical industry just outside it and hence all the abnormal traffic. (not Dublin). I am very consiece of my surroundings while driving. The driver in front had one choice. Do what he/she did, or hit the jogger. He/she made the correct decision and actually saved the joggers life. That is NOT an excuse. That is fact.
    I take offence to what you have said but I did not make the situation clear in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

All just put in two from me.

1) People who refuse to indicate on roundabouts. Seriously it is the most annoying thing when you are trying to join a roundabout, you see a car coming around but because of the angle you are both at you can only see there right indicator. If this isn't on you should be able to presume they are turning left off the roundabout, so you begin to move only to notice that the f**kwit is still coming around, with a stupid look on their face like why is this guy pulling out obviously he can see me coming.

2) Then there is nearly the opposite of the people in 1 who think just because they have flicked on there indicator they automatically have the right of way. It doesn’t f**ckers it just signals your intent to turn/change lane. If I’m going to let you out I’ll make it clear don’t try barge in front of me. I normally don’t mind letting people out and do it 90% of the time. But in the morning there is a road I travel with a roundabout in the middle section, now people purposely go down the outside lane because it moves faster and then try barge when they feel like. F**K you sit in the traffic like everyone else, what makes you so f**king important that you can act like that.

Man that felt good.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

1. People driving with no lights or their parking / accessory lights on in darl conditions.
    2. Drivers who use the wrong lanes for turns / roundabouts to beat traffic.
    3. The people who let the people from number two into the correct lane without so much as a toot!
    4. Bad parking. Encompasses the "my car is worth more then you are so I'm taking two spaces" right down to "my ass is so fat that I have to hit your car with my door as I get out", as well as "I'm only going into the shop for a second" where they will jog for three steps and then amble on.
    5. Micra front foglights. I have never seen a micra in a rally, but those fogs must be suited for it. And the things must be welded to the on position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Also, people who call SUVs "four by fours" or "jeeps". Isnt JEEP a brand just like FORD, TOYOTA etc. Lets us the correct terminology here!

The terms jeep and four by four were used before JEEP ever became a brand name. SUV is only a recent term mostly used by car salesmen and owners who would rather pretend they are not farm vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MarkR wrote: »
    The people who let the people from number two into the correct lane without so much as a toot!
    .. or anything else blatantly stupid or wrong. I was coming off the M50 at Carrickmines the other day behind another car, when some eejit in a Landcruiser decided that he absolutely had to come off that exit, despite already being long past the dashed lines and braked, indicated left and pulled across the cross-hatching in front of the car in front of me. We both had to brake, but the car in front didn't react in any way. I blasted my horn, but the only reaction from Landcruiser-man was a cheery wave to thank us both for letting him in! What an @rsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

1. People who don' t know how to use roundabouts and/or indicators.
    2. Tail-gating cockbites
    3. Idiots on the M50 who fly up the hard-shoulder
    4. Fog-light abusers
    5. Did I mention Tail-gating cockbites before?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

there is no such thing as a good driver who has totally good habits and never gets you're goat!, we're all crap drivers except some are more crap than others, perhaps the most annoying and irritationg driving on the roads is going toooooo slow!, plodding along talking and having a bit of a jolly while the rest of us are trying to get places and do things and get Home!, the rest I can excuse, lights, indicators, overtaking, etc but going along at 25mph with a smile and a joke and a bit of a natter drives me to distraction (xcuse the pun!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

1.) When 2 drivers of 4x4's bumpers make contact and despite causing about €0.0000001c worth of damage - both drivers decide to stop at amusing angles (across the middle and inner lane and the other across the middle and outer lane of a roundabout).

This happened at the top of brewery road roundabout yesterday about 6:15pm.

2) Bicyclists/dogs who make right angle turns off pavements and across the road. In the last year I have hit one and missed another by inches.

3) pedestrians who walk along and then decide 'hey I want to be over there now' and off they toddle - especially in dub city.

4.) drivers who hog the overtaking lane - enter yellow boxes with no consideration - pull u turns while on the mobile phone and delaying anyone behind them - drive too slowly - lack of lane discipline -

5.) dangerous parking (there was one tulip on my road recently where the driver reversed onto a high footpath and parked right across it blocking it so that 2 front wheels were on the main road. Proceeded to leave it there for about 3 days whle the council took their sweet time coming out about it. Anyone walking by had to go out onto the main road to get past. When the council finally arrived out the council person was in shock and the driver (a nigerian) told them 'hey you move it I have friends address you bring it there'. The council was having none of that thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

1. We all agree about other motorists that hog the fast lane, some of them believe that because they are achieving the maximum speed limit, they don't need to pull over into the empty lane on their left. But they should consider that the motorist behind them could be a doctor on their way to an emergency or someone in a desperate hurry to get somewhere faster than them and it's not up to them to play God on the road.

2. Dangerous parking as described in the post above. The amount of houses getting renovations for Christmas has led to a huge increase in abandoned tradesmen's cars across neighbour's driveways, blocking footpaths, parked on double yellows, junctions and clearways. We are trying to encourage people to use their cars less. You now take your life in your own hands walking from your house to the bus stop.

3. Pedestrian crossings blocked by motorists reluctant to encroach a yellow junction box. It is just as easy to stop a few feet further back and not block the pedestrian crossing either.

4. Badly adjusted headlights. You know when someone is behind you and one of their headlights is blinding you through your rear view mirror, one of these nights I will get out with a hammer and rectify the problem in one fell swoop.

5. Couriers in the city centre revving up their engines sitting on a chicken chaser while stopped at traffic lights, trying to unnerve people crossing the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

What someone said about not indicating on roundabouts reminded me, there's a junction near the entrance to my estate that leads into the town. If I have come through the town heading home, I stop at this junction waiting to make a right turn. It's a fairly busy road and most of the traffic comes from the right, so you use people's indicators (within reason, this is Ireland after all!) to give yourself an extra second or two to pull out. Regularly, I meet cars approaching this junction who make a right turn without indicating AT ALL. Someone is going to get a 4D cell Maglite through their windscreen some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

women eating /applying make-up etc really p*sses me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

cazzy wrote: »
    No 1 has to be people who pass you and jump into the "space that you are keeping from the car in front of you to avoid tailgating" in a continuous line of traffic. Where do these people think they are going to get to anyway with a continuous line of traffic in front.

Then there is the "clown" who drives up the a*****e of the lorry in front but will not try to overtake unless they get a 2 mile straight.If you are not going to overtake stay back and leave a space otherwise it causes other drivers to have to pass both of you at the same time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

* Using wrong lane in roundabouts/intersections
    * Not indicating
    * Tailgating
    * Lights on full beam/Xenon headlights

There should have been a poll here so we could see what the top two are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

skelliser wrote: »
    women eating /applying make-up etc really p*sses me off

Never seen women eating make-up ;

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Never seen women eating make-up ;

Never seen a woman eat the face off another woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

sounds like we are all agreed on the "outside lane hoggers" and tbh most of them are just idiots! but wtf is the story with the people who hog the overtaking lane on an empty motorway, you catch up with them in the inside lane, pull out (i'm anal about undertaking its just something I'd hate to be caught for) flash the lights for them to get the fcuk outta the way, they pull in and then.................
    after you have passed they pull out again????? I just dont understand what is going through their minds, what possible logic is there in bothering to move back out when both lanes are clear:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They think it's the "fast" lane and they're supposed to stay in it if they're going "fast".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I can't stand people who hog the overtaking lane. It really says a lot though about their state of mind. ME ME ME ME, selfishness defined in a driving style.

Quite beautiful really.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

People who put on their fog lights and side lights only when it is clearly time for dipped headlights and there is no fog!!!

Also people overusing their brakes on the M50, rather than just taking their foot off the accellerator in time. This causes their brake lights to come on prompting others to do the same and generally slowing everyone down. I have often driven behind people for ten or fifteen minutes without using brakes once while they use them every thirty seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

sesswhat wrote: »
    The terms jeep and four by four were used before JEEP ever became a brand name. SUV is only a recent term mostly used by car salesmen and owners who would rather pretend they are not farm vehicles.

Not true. JEEP has been around since the 40s. Has only recently arrived in Ireland.

Originally Posted by sesswhat
    Not true. JEEP has been around since the 40s. Has only recently arrived in Ireland.

And the term jeep was used before that. So which bit is not true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fog lights
    People not using indicators when changing lane (seems to be about 40% of road users now)
    Cars that can't accelerate properly (judging by my own as barely acceptable, anything slower is a grave danger on a motorway merge, etc)
    Entering yellow boxes

However, the top irritation has to just be "other drivers" in general. Its wonderful when theres nobody else on the roads like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

1. Other drivers
    2. Other drivers
    3. Other drivers
    4. Other drivers
    5. Other drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Zombie thread locked.

Don't resurrect old threads, start a new thread.

Read the charter re: fog light threads etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement