Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passenger Behaviour!

• 03-12-2007 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi all!
    I'm doing a thesis on people's attitudes to other bus users. Would like to hear whatever all of you have to say about it. What do people do on buses that really bother you or would put you off using the bus? I'm devising a set of interview questions at the moment to put to people- so anything you could say to me would be great! Thought i might get some feedback that i wasn't expecting that i could incorporate into the interviews i'm carrying out.
    thanks everyone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

FFS wait till everyone who wants to get OFF the bus is off before everyone herds ONTO the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People who only take out their purse after they ask the driver the how much the fare is. Its unfair to people with prepaid tickets or who got their money ready before hand.

People who use their phones to talk in an animated fashion.

People who fail to move down the back of the bus. I've sometimes stood on the same people when getting on and off the bus, despite me having sat for the entire time.

The occassional cretin who doesn't know how to act in a civilised manner.

Motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

People who don't move back to let more people on the bus, even when asked to by the driver.

People who are drunk.

People who are anxious about getting onto the bus (i.e. pushing/shoving) even when the number of people waiting is clearly far less than the seats available.

People who play music loudly on the bus (phone calls I don't find as annoying and they aren't as common).

People who take up two seats (e.g. with bags).

People who litter, put feet on seats, generally abuse the bus (I haven't witnessed people doing graffitti or ripping seats, but they should not get away with it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Big one I hate = people smoking on the bus. It seems to be v prevalent on certain buses and certain times of the day (evening rush hour on buses going from town to certain parts of the city)

Dirty Buses -especially dirty windows so you cant see out of them and dirty interiors.

People drinking alcohol on the bus.

People being really noisey and rude to other passengers. (Last time I saw a really bad example of this the bus driver called the guards and had the guy arrested. Gave us all some entertainment for the ride)

very Drunk people on bus.
    Smelly people on bus.

Screaming kids/babies (will I be killed for this. I know, I know = It cant be helped but it is still annoying and no I dont want to ban babies from the bus. Im just saying it makes my journey less fun when theres babies screaming!)

I could go on... but thats enough moaning for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Smoking
    Drinking
    Shouting
    Playing "music" really loud on a mobile phone
    Eating hot food
    Taking 2 seats
    Standing around the front door when there's room elsewhere
    Taking forever to pay a fare
    Being smelly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Scumbags ripping the cushions from the seats and throwing bits at people.
    Smoking on the bus.
    Teenage girls being really loud and obnoxious while they play music on their mobile phones.
    Exchange students spreading themselves across the entire top deck and shouting across the bus to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i hate it when anyone wants to sit next to me.....:)

and i hate people who blame the driver for anything and everything, like traffic etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

trying out all the ringtones on a new mobile phone
    eating hot food covered in vinegar
    sitting beside the driver and talking to him for the journey
    ringing the bell repeatedly
    chasing the dragon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

The thing that really gets my goat is the complete disregard for the queuing system. I mean there are some people who do queue in a proper manner, and then there are those that "loiter" around the bus stop and hop on as soon as the bus arrives. Having said that I have seen some bus drivers, deliberately stop exactly at the head of the queue thereby ensuring those that queued get on first. Usually you hear someone on the fringes mutter "FFS!", which gives me great pleasure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

people getting on the right hand side of the door when paying by cash
    people paying cash moving to the right hand side blocking me with my prepaid ticket while waiting for their ticket to issue
    smoking
    smoking heroin
    people with useless headphones so everyone else has to listen to their music
    people pressing the button just before their stop so the driver has to brake suddenly
    other people
    people using the bus to go 3 or 4 stops!
    when i used to get the 92 to heuston - the people who got off outside guinness causing me to miss the train :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1. Passengers who blame the driver for something which is beyound his control. When the driver attempts to offer an explanation they walk away with their hands raised saying "I don't want to know".

2. The selfish hot food, 'it's all about me brigade' who don't seem to care that the smell lingers for hours.

3. The cup of take away coffee brigade who are unable to get tickets/money etc. because they are hampered by carrying a hot drink.

4. The driver's mate - those morons who think it's cool to sit up on the front window talking crap and causing a distraction.

5. Those passengers who will not raise their voice beyond a whimper. You know what you're saying but no one else does. Speak up - a bus is a noisy environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

someone reeking and i mean stinking to the high hilts of garlic, theres been plenty of times i've had to turn on the air conditioning , open all windows in cab and even drive with the doors open.
    either that or abandon bus.
    oh i forgot this one.
    passenger gets on and says "2"
    i ask 2 what ? 2 hamburgers,2 frenchfries, 2 big macs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

people who sit on the aisle seat and if a person asks to sit beside them at the window seat they make a big fuss of getting up and pull all sorts of faces. see it on the train also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

someone reeking and i mean stinking to the high hilts of garlic, theres been plenty of times i've had to turn on the air conditioning , open all windows in cab and even drive with the doors open.
    either that or abandon bus.

i take it you are being funny here :D drive with the doors opens?? i hope you get caught and are reprimanded for this....if you do actually do as you have written above.
    oh i forgot this one.
    passenger gets on and says "2"
    i ask 2 what ? 2 hamburgers,2 frenchfries, 2 big macs.

:rolleyes: i'd say you are hilarious back in the depot canteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

When the bell rings about 10 times but only 2 people get off. There's a sign - PUSH ONCE !

i am being funny about the doors being open, but i am being serious
    when someone throws in cash and says "2" it's very annoying because you dont know what they want. do they want
    2x€1 fares
    €1.90,€1.60 etc.
    number one at the top of my list is when the bell rings i pull in and nobody gets of. that happened recently for about 4 stops one after another.someone was standing leaning agains one of the bars with the bell on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

People that wait at the stop for ages, and then produce a large pile of change and count it into the till.

Any loud phone conversations beyond "I'm on the bus, I'll ring you later"

People hogging seats with bags

The bus driver that once told me to "stop skipping the f*cking queue" in front of everybody when I boarded at the (empty) right-hand side with my monthly ticket. Then threatened to kick me off when I called him names.

Drivers who deliberately sneak around another stopped bus, knowing well that other people may be waiting for the second bus.

-Sorry, had to vent on the drivers too. :)

Passengers who give the driver grief over stuff that may not be their fault, such as traffic etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

People who want to get in the bus, but do not understand some might actually want to get out.

Smoking on the bus.

Screaming babies (sorry) and noisy schoolchildren.

People who do not know others might not want to listen to their crap music (especially teenage girls with crappy mobile phone speakers).

People who sit on the back seat and put their feet up on the opposite seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

FFS wait till everyone who wants to get OFF the bus is off before everyone herds ONTO the bus.

I HATE this.

I also hate when there's obviously a queue and people just try to shove their way to the front when the bus arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Gosh - it seems the people on my bus route are exceptionally nice! I don't have any of the problems listed above. People smoking at the bus stop is a bit annoying, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Having a nice pleasant doze on the bus, and some idiot starts opening the windows and letting a bloody hurricane in.
    FFS, its December, its about minus 10 outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

sitting beside someone who keeps staring at you! might seem a bit paranoid but it does happen.

Smelly people

students speaking utter rubbish in that silly accent they acquire once they hit 13

young school kids/ college students who ring their parents for a lift home and proceed to have an argument with them because the parents dont know where to pick them up or they cant drop everything to collect them!

rude bus drivers - i know it can be a tough job but i dont think many people working in a customer facing role would get away with some of the stuff they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

All of the above, plus when it's raining and there is condensation on the windows, a puddle of water forms on the rubber lip at the bottom of the window on the inside. This moves backwards and forwards with the motion of the bus. I have often ended up with a soaked shirt/coat when sitting beside the window.

Cans/bottles rolling around top deck that no-one is bothered to pick up.

People spitting on the floor.

Chunks carved out of the rubber window surrounds.

Windows that won't open and people that won't open the window. I sometimes travelled on a full 16 from Rathfarnham to Parnell Square (over 1 hour), every seat occupied and not a single window open. Would make you want to puke. Who cares if it's drizzling outside? 1 or 2 drops come in the window, let some fckin air in!!!

I don't get the bus anymore.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

wyndham wrote: »
    All of the above, plus when it's raining and there is condensation on the windows, a puddle of water forms on the rubber lip at the bottom of the window on the inside. This moves backwards and forwards with the motion of the bus. I have often ended up with a soaked shirt/coat when sitting beside the window.

That isn't condensation, it is rainwater. There was a design flaw with the gaskets used on the windows of 1999 and older buses that allows water from outside to seep in. Also why most of those buses smell damp for a few days after a heavy downpour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

agreed , people who don't open the window and let some air in, jayzus the farts do be awful on the top deck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

trellheim wrote: »
    agreed , people who don't open the window and let some air in, jayzus the farts do be awful on the top deck.

This might be a silly question, but whats stopping you opening the window if you want it open? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, pretty much mostly been said.

Two most irritating in terms of passengers:

People who stand right in the aisle, especially when the bus is letting people on/off. Stand sideways FFS. Included in these are people who, as Victor says, refuse to move down. They stand in everyone's way in the aisle even when there's tonnes of space down the back.

People who sit/stand at the stairs, watch people come down the stairs and off the bus and then remain where they are. I can understand being happy enough to stand, but FFS let other people get up the stairs.

Everyone's usually pretty quiet and tired when I'm getting bus so I don't see any other issues.

One annoyance I get from the drivers is impromptu route changes. This may not be their choice, but they could make a better attempt to tell people. Usually it's just a tannoy announcement "MHUMMF TI HUMMF TAG HUMF", and then everyone spends the next 2 minutes looking around to see what was said. Please: Say it clearly and say it a number of times before the change so people hear you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

... people standing with backpacks who refuse to take them off and put them on the floor - every movement causes mayhem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

I don't mind too much people drinking on the bus, happens on the 78A in Dublin a good bit between 7pm and 11pm, usually the people doing it keep to themselves and are quiet.

People getting free bus travel because they are on methadone programmes and then choose to fill the upper deck with a stupid junkie accent and Hash smoke, this really annoys me. They are also the type of scum that leave used syringes on the seats. And I'm the eejit who has to pay €1.60 into town!!

Idiots throwing rocks through the windows on 76/78A buses on the Neilstown Road.

Muppets ripping the seats out of the metal frames.

Skulls standing downstairs when the driver shouts that there is seats "on top"!

Slow bus drivers on Saturday Sunday mornings. It should not take 30 minutes to get from Ballyfermot to town at 7am on a Saturday mornings.

Last but not least; Dublin Traffic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

All of the above:

General selfish behaviour by people with buggies.

Vandalism of the bus by scangers: seats do cost money and time to replace.

and...
    Some drivers don't turn on the heaters even in the winter!

Red Alert wrote: »
    Some drivers don't turn on the heaters even in the winter!

Be careful what you wish for. Generally I find in Ireland, once people decide to turn on the heat, they leave it on full blast until everyone faints. The DARTS being a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jamar

I'd agree with most of what's been said, but for me:

- drinking/smoking/drugs...rude and intimadating. (legless drunks sitting at the back of the top, hitting everyone on the way out...but generally it's intimadating).

- music I can hear. (I don't think other people can hear mine).

- The windows.

Bad about buses in general, air quality (back to the windows), dirty buses and lack of information. It can be hard for even experienced travellers to work out where they are. The condensation is, imo, mostly due to cheap buses and windows... I hate the pool of water at the bottom of windows.

They don't put me off using the bus, but it doesn't encourage me either. My wife is pregnant now, and we've decided to drive to work for the moment. If they were more comfortable, we might have made a different decision.

wyndham wrote: »
    Windows that won't open and people that won't open the window. I sometimes travelled on a full 16 from Rathfarnham to Parnell Square (over 1 hour), every seat occupied and not a single window open. Would make you want to puke. Who cares if it's drizzling outside? 1 or 2 drops come in the window, let some fckin air in!!!

Keep the windows closed ffs, its cold and its raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

People who constantly sniff - blow your noses!!!

Women/girls flicking their hair constantly in your direction - I don't want to be covered in your hair!!!

Men who sit with their legs wide apart! Are you trying to tell the world how big it is????? Wishful thinking more like.........

People who take the seat beside you and practically sit on you - sit on your own half of the seat!

Business men who read broadsheet newspapers on a packed train - come on, you are taking up the room of at least 3 people!!!!

People sitting beside you and stick their elbows into you - keep your elbows to yourself!!

People who insist on opening the windows when a gale force 10 wind is blowing or during a monsoon rain shower!!!

Teenagers with the put on posh accents wearing ugg boots......come on, your from north dublin!!! Act normal!!!

Couples who stand in the aisle of the train kissing each other ..... all the way through the journey - nobody wants to listen to the slurping of kisses all the way through their commute!!!

People eating loud crunchy smelly or hot food.....

People who won't let other people get off the train first before they start piling on - its not like you are going to get a seat anyway!!!

Pregnant women who are offered a seat and proceed to give out to the person who offered them the seat - I'm only pregnant, I'm not sick, Im more than capable of standing blah blah blah... The person who offered their seat was only being nice!

Teenagers who get one seat and then their girlfriend sits on their knee taking up half your space as well - one seat for one person (unless its a kid!)

Littering on trains - bring home your rubbish with you

People who put dripping wet umbrellas on the overhead luggage rack - cop on!!!

People with backpacks!

Teenagers sitting on the floor on a packed train - stand up and give other commuters more room!

People who stretch out their legs on those seats that have a table (on the trains) - other people are sitting opposite you - keep your legs to yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

People who stand up shouting 'I don't know what a tracker mortgage is' on the upstairs deck.

damn musucfan that is one hell of a list.
    you forgot to add the one that let silent stinkers on the bus and just look around.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Keep the windows closed ffs, its cold and its raining.
    Ventilation to get rid of the condensation would be nice through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Victor wrote: »
    Ventilation to get rid of the condensation would be nice through.

Agreed. I just have a prob with the serial window-openers though. Like theres 40 people upstairs and all the windows are shut so obviously there has been a tacit acceptance of the situation Then WindowBoy gets on and proceeds to open 3 windows in an 'I know best' way. Hangings too good for them etc.

P.S. LOL at the tracker mortgage comment, class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

damn musucfan that is one hell of a list.
    you forgot to add the one that let silent stinkers on the bus and just look around.:D

That too!

Forgot to add

People who chew chewing gum really really loud or who suck sweets really loud - its disgusting!

People who bite their nails or cut their nails on the train (yes I've seen it done - nail clippings flying everywhere!)

Women who pick at their nails - its disgusting - do it at home where noone can see you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

WindowOpeningBoy here... if you don't like it wrap up warm, I've no interest in smelling everyone else's morning/evening farts/BO.

PET Hates : Ipod users [ used to be walkman users ] turned up full annoying people ten seats away with the tinny buzzing

Mobile phone users talking on their phones. You can all fornicate off. Wait till your journey is finished ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Regarding all of the above..... is it just me, or are more and more people just ignorant, immersed in their own little worlds, not giving a sh*t about anyone else but themselves. We're turning (back) into a sad, pathetic nation if so. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

bazzer wrote: »
    Regarding all of the above..... is it just me, or are more and more people just ignorant, immersed in their own little worlds, not giving a sh*t about anyone else but themselves. We're turning (back) into a sad, pathetic nation if so. :(

I suspect people are immersed in their own little worlds with iPods and such, precisely *because* of the behaviour described above. It's a vicious cycle!

Ah jesus people, it's only an iPod. You're starting to sound like your grandparents, complaining about the young people and their rock music.

As for the other problems, scumbags have been around as long as civilisation has been around. It's just these days we can't stick them in the stocks and throw stuff at them.

I'm on WindowBoy's side in the windows debate btw. Having to keep a coat on is a small trade-off for having fresh air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Haven't had to take the bus since I moved to Dublin (mainly use the Luas now) but the same few things still bug me

1. People failing to move down to accomodate other passengers

2. People with large backpacks which take up the space of one person and cause bother whenever they move

3. People playing music through their mobile phone loudspeakers (headphones I can forgive because that isn't deliberate)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

sorry... but the windows should stay shut... the busses are drafty enough as it is!! :p

40 year old "grannies" who look at ye sideways if ye don't offer up yer seat to them... yer not that effin old!!

Bus Drivers who take off at warp speed when yer holding more than one bag, thus causing major head damage off a bar or someone elses head

The bus driver changeovers that last 20mins involving a good analysis of the match last night:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The bell-ringing thing always amuses me.

Person number one gets up as bus leaves last stop, rings bell and stands up by driver.
    Illuminated signs show 'Bus stopping' (upstairs and downstairs).
    Numerous goons proceed to ring the bell as they join in line behind person number one and wait to get off.

What is that about, really?

Do they think that possibly the driver didn't hear the first bell, the lit up signs are unrelated and they best give the bell another good old ding just to be on the safe side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lolly.o

2. People with large backpacks which take up the space of one person and cause bother whenever they move

What are people supposed to do if they have luggage with them going to a train station or a bus station?
    I hate people who are rude towards others just because they have bags with them..theres nothing they can do...how do you expect them to get to where they're going...they feel awkward enough as it is with big bags with them and rude people just make it worse for them.

lolly.o wrote:
    What are people supposed to do if they have luggage with them going to a train station or a bus station?

Put the bag on a luggage rack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement