Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP location

Options
  • 03-12-2007 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

When I had dial up an IP check would give my location as the local town. Now with broadband router netopia 2247NWG it gives Dublin. I am not concerned and know there is no privacy on net, just curious. Is it because the router is giving its address out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not to do with your Router.
    IPs are assigned in a block to the local exchange POP (modems & servers) on Dialup. On broadband, the IP not assigned in the local exchange. You may or may not get a local geographic IP assigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

watty wrote: »
    Not to do with your Router.
    IPs are assigned in a block to the local exchange POP (modems & servers) on Dialup. On broadband, the IP not assigned in the local exchange. You may or may not get a local geographic IP assigned.

Thanks watty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

I had thought broadband gives a static ip address but aparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Depends which package you are on.
    Depends which system you are on.
    Some systems use DHCP and the address can be always the same (like Static), or change, Dynamic. Some systems the modem actually needs a Static IP entered.
    You often can pay extra to have a "static" (i.e. not changing) IP allocated by the ISP's DHCP server.

Advertisement