Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Training (Well, half...)

• 03-12-2007 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I was hoping someone could offer me advice. I'm flirting with the idea of doing a half Ironman next summer. I've done a few sprint distances and one olympic but I'd like to take the next step up to the half Ironman.

Could someone please advise me on where I could get information on training etc for such an event. Better yet, would someone be able to give me some advice. My approach to doing the Triathlons last summer was to eat, sleep and breathe running, cycling and swimming. While this did work OK, I found my strength diminish significantly which cant be good.

I come from a martial arts background where I would have used weight training as part of my regime. I'd like to integrate this into my Triathlon training (since it would keep my strength up) but is it a waste of time? Should I just focus on the three disciplines?

I'd aim to do the ironman perhaps towards the end of the summer after having done a few olymics first. At what point should I begin training so as to peak at the right time and not burn out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Half IM distance, my favourite distance!

Weight training is important to endurance althetes, but at the right time of year. Between now and maybe April you should be doing strength work. Light stuff now, then heavier stuff in a month or so, and then pull it back to poor maintaince stuff for the rest of the season.

I'd venture a guess that the loss in power last year was more likely overtraining (or overracing) than anything else.

You should be training now, but not targetting training specific to any events. You should be riding a little, running a little and swimming a bit. Focusing on your technique in all three disciplines. You should be preparing yourself to be able to hit January fit enough to start training properly.

Beware the winter warrior!

Finally don't call it an ironman, you'll pi$$ people off, its a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Tunney is right. This is your down season. Concentrate on technique. You can't be ultra strong and fast over half IM distance at the same time. I like the term functional weights. You should do those that make you a better triathlete.

Which half are you thinking of doing? The two in Ireland have very different courses which will influence your decision.

Assuming you're going to take it easy until Jan/Feb, how much training do you want to do next year, over how many sessions a week? Do you want to do other races?

Do you have a weak discipline?

Tunney, people saying IM when they mean half don't annoy me nearly as much as the "marathoners" who have run the Dublin mini-"marathon". 10km is not a marathon, unless you swim it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Gustradamus

Thanks for the feedback guys - much appreciated.

Tunney - your suggestion for weight training seems similar to what I'm doing at the moment so happy days! Another thing I should probably mention is that I turned into a beanpole last summer from the cardio/aerobic nature of the training. Hopefully the bit of lifting I do between now and April will prevent this from happening again:eek:
    Which half are you thinking of doing? The two in Ireland have very different courses which will influence your decision.

This was my next question - I hear Kenmare is a bit of knightmare and not for the virgin. Apparently its 'hilly'. Could you please describe the two different races that are here in Ireland? My weak discipline would definitely be cycling so a hilly course could really put a monkey wrench in my programme. As a true novice to triathlon, I made the fatal error of using the bike as a 'resting period' to prepare for the run (my strongest discipline). No further comment.

how much training do you want to do next year, over how many sessions a week? Do you want to do other races?

I'll do whatever is needed. How much training do triathletes do for half-ironmans? At the peak of my training I could see myself doing two sessions a day 4/5 days a week. Since the distances are quite long, does this mean that its a case of simply putting in the hours or can you do shorter sessions at increased intensity? In terms of other races, I'd imagine it would be of benefit to get a good few olympics under my belt early in the summer with a view to doing the Half-Ironman at the end of the summer.

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Kenmare is a hilly bike course but not insane. My problem with the course is that the road surface is not great meaning you will get battered. I am also absolutely useless at descending so the switchbacks terrify me. That said the scenery is amazing and there is a great party afterwards. The organisers (rather condescendingly imo) say this is not a race for virgins but there is no reason you can't give it a go.

That said, if the bike is your weak point then consider ireman. It's in Groomsport (near Bangor). The bike is a 3 lap undulating (barely. it's pretty flat) course on great roads. The swim is in the sea and the run is off road along beach, road, grass with a small bit of clamboring over things. I really enjoyed that race. It was early (June) this year but I see it's moved to september for 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Whether or not Kenmare is hilly depends on whether or not you like cycling in hills :)

But seriously Kenmare isn't bad, the hills aren't bad. It all comes down to pacing. If you go too hard on the first few hills, you'll die a death at the end of the bike and/or on the run. I think Kenmare is a good event but the organisers could be more "customer focused".

You can't substitute intensity for volume. If you are going to go to half-IM distance you have to have your bum in the saddle and your feet on the road for a good bit.

In terms of training for a HIM, depends on the person. Honeymonster probably does sheds loads, most MOPs (middle of the pack) would do 12 hours a week or so. Front of middle of packs a bit more, and the "big boys" 30+ hours a week.

If biking is not your strong point while Kenmare is hillier, Kenmare is 10km short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'm not a Tri person (lycra is for girls ;) ) but I wouldn't restrict yourself to just Irish events - you can get to the UK fairly cheaply on the ferry and you'll have a far better spread of events to choose from that may better suit your timings and requirments.

not that many HIM's in the UK. Bala is one I always hear highly of. The pain with travelling for triathlon is the bike transport. Not such a big deal if you want to take ferry but I hate flying with my bike.

Amadeus, I have you on record saying you're going to do an ironman* when you finish Boston.

*you may have said sprint but I'm raising the bar for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You could always venture further - you can take a ferry to mainland Europe from the People's Republic. You're right though, it would start to take on epic trip proportions.

Lower that bar again btw, I reckon this is my level:
    16091L.jpgjohn_deere_kids_tricycle.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Gustradamus

Thanks for the adivce lads - much appreciated! I best get off this computer so and onto a saddle if I'm to get all this training done:eek:

Advertisement