Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resinstalling a Graphics Driver

• 03-12-2007 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Trying to install an nVidia graphics driver, but with no luck. After each time I install the driver, the Display Adapter in Device Manager comes up as "Standard VGA", instead of 7800GT.

I've tried uninstalling the driver using Add/Remove, then using "Driver Cleaner .Net" in Safe Mode, and when it goes back into Normal Mode, it says "VGA Standard", so I install the graphics driver (163.75_forceware_winxp64bit_english_whql.exe or 169.09_forceware_winxp_64bit_international_beta.exe) but when it goes back into Windows after a reboot, the Display Adapter in Device Manager still comes up as "Standard VGA", instead of 7800GT.

This, as you can tell, is starting to wreak my nut, so I thought to ask you guys and girls if anyone knows a solution, whilst I trudge through google, to either get rid of any trace of the 7800GT, to allow the driver to install, or to force the driver to install regardless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Don't know whats goin wrong m8, i follow the same procedure, but only thing i do different is empty the recycle bin after runnin driver & cab cleaner, read it once in a guide & have done it ever since.

Sorry i can't really be of any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Can you go to Dev Manager and try update the driver from there; pointing it to the folder the new drivers extracted to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

You need to extract the files from the ".exe" either by letting it run th extraction and then cancelling the install or by using winRAR.

Then you need to right click on My Computer ->Click Manage
    Select device manager and find the display adaptor in the right pane.
    There should be a "!" if the driver is not installed.

Right click and choose the appropriate option.

Then point to the folder that the files were extracted to (there should be a ".inf" file in this folder).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭donaghs

Are you installing the software by running the setup.exe?
    As an earlier poster said, try extracting all the files to a folder first.

Also, you can try installing the driver files this way:
    If you right-click on empty space on your Desktop screen, then click Properties. Then go to the Settings tab, the Advanved button, then the Adapter tab and update the driver files. Browse to the folder location you extracted them.

Try using Universal Extractor to extract the exe.

http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

Should do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    but only thing i do different is empty the recycle bin after runnin driver & cab cleaner, read it once in a guide & have done it ever since.
    Tried that. Used "Driver Cleaner .Net". No joy.
    kaimera wrote: »
    Can you go to Dev Manager and try update the driver from there; pointing it to the folder the new drivers extracted to?
    Oddly, I get the collowing when I try that:
    An error occurred during the installation of the device

The Parameter is incorrect
    Which, even though is bad, it's the only feedback I've gotten. Running the setup.exe goes through with no errors.
    iRock wrote: »
    You need to extract the files from the ".exe" either by letting it run th extraction and then cancelling the install or by using winRAR.

Then you need to right click on My Computer ->Click Manage
    Select device manager and find the display adaptor in the right pane.
    There should be a "!" if the driver is not installed.
    Here's the annoying thing: I only get
    Standard_VGA_GraphicsAdapter.jpg
    And this is my problem. It thinks the Standard VGA driver is the correct driver, even after I "successfully" install the 7800GT drivers.
    donaghs wrote: »
    Also, you can try installing the driver files this way:
    If you right-click on empty space on your Desktop screen, then click Properties. Then go to the Settings tab, the Advanved button, then the Adapter tab and update the driver files. Browse to the folder location you extracted them.
    No joy, same as when I tried it kaimera's way. But another odd thing. It sees the Adapter with the correct memory (256MB), that it's nVidia, but still, not as a 7800GT
    Plug-n-Play_Standard_VGA_GraphicsAd.jpg

=-=

On a final not, I'm running the display at 1280*1024. If it was only running under a VGA driver, I should only have 800*600.

Have tried moving OEM00.inf and OEM01.inf from \windows\inf\ (to another location)but no joy. Going to see what happens when I move the machine.inf file to another location.

Right click the VGA adapter and point it to the driver. After installation two devices will display under display. Thats what happened on my PC.

Have you got the latest exe?

Try using drivermax and use the option to import the drivers:
    http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Have you tried a different driver... ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

have you tried removing the "standard" vga driver , sometimes it seems more like a "specific" driver since it don't like being replaced :(

take a system restore snapshot to be on the safe side

• Advertisement

Right. This is pissing me right off, so I did a search for any file begining with NV in the Windows directory, deleted them, backed up My Documents, in case it turns out to be a bad idea, and I have to reinstall the OS...

...and now I'm going to restart.

the_syco wrote: »
    Right. This is pissing me right off, so I did a search for any file begining with NV in the Windows directory, deleted them, backed up My Documents, in case it turns out to be a bad idea, and I have to reinstall the OS...

...and now I'm going to restart.
    OK... that didn't do anything.
    have you tried removing the "standard" vga driver , sometimes it seems more like a "specific" driver since it don't like being replaced :(

take a system restore snapshot to be on the safe side
    F**k the restore snapshot, how can I get rid of the "standard" vga driver? Trust me: I've tried everything I know, including deleting a few of the OEM inf files in \windows\inf\ but with no joy.

=-=

/me renames the Display.inf in \windows\inf\ to see what happens when I uninstall the driver...

Right-o, after I renamed the Display.inf in \windows\inf\ uninstalled the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, and rebooted, I got this:
    after_I_rename_displayinf.jpg

It's something, at least. Updating it, and pointing it at the 7800GT drivers is still failing, and so is running the actual setup.exe of the graphics driver, but meh: at least now it sees that there's a f**king problem with it.

When I tried to update it with the 7800GT (with the Found New Hardware wizard), it popped into here:
    after_I_try_to_install_the_7800gt_d.jpg

The driver install stil fails, though.

Saw this:
    new_adapter_properties.jpg
    It means nothing, except it now sees nothing there, as opposed to seeing something, but nt letting me do sh|t with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGASAVE
    VGASAVE is enabled by default and should not be disabled. If you disable it and reboot, there is a strong chance the system may not boot, since during boot-time it is used as a fail-safe.

VGASAVE consists of two files, VGA.DLL and VGA.SYS.

http://www.subwolf.org/v2/articles.php?article=1 - looks like you need chipset drivers too
    However, if you end up with the "VGASave" service loaded for a video device, I think it's highly likely that you just need drivers for the motherboard itself.

Alternate Solution

Lets say you DO have your motherboard drivers installed properly, but it refuses to do anything other than run with vgasave enabled. A thread on winoscentral.com has some good advice - bash F8 when booting, and select "Enable VGA Mode". That should boot you up with a standard VGA adapter.
    - page also has video driver links

ttp://www.subwolf.org/v2/articles.php?article=1 - looks like you need chipset drivers too - page also has video driver links
    Well, actually, I think it needed the mobo drivers, but they were on epox.com which will download for oo, 5%, then time out :/ And the site doesn't allow resume downloads, so meh :/

=-=

In the end, I said f**k it, and did a Repair install (F8, press R), and when it finished, got into Windows, deleted \windows\inf\display.inf (ah, sure, why not), installed the 7800GT drivers... and it works.

Thank f**k, says I. For some odd reason, Firefox can't browse the net anymore, but IE6 does. Meh :/ I'll probably just reinstall FF later.

As for now, now I unwrap CoD4, and install it *\o/*

Back again. Knocked the DVI cable out of place, and pop, the screen wouldn't work. So I reinstalled the graphics driver 169.09

Bad Idea. Same crap as post #14 :( F**k reinstalling Windows I say, I'll try a new approach.

So I uninstalled the driver from within Windows, went into Safe Mode, ran Driver Cleaner .Net and deleted any NV*.* files in \WINDOWS\Prefetch\ and then installed 169.21 (in Safe Mode), and it said "you must restart your computer for ... to take effect". Cool beans, says I, and I restart the computer. And it worked.

=-=

This is for my benefit as for others. This will happen again, no doubt, and this page will save my ass:cool::D

Next time, I'm buying an ATI.

Advertisement