Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacWorld 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Glad they didn't revamp the MBP, only got mine for xmas :D

Ipod touch update is the biggest kick ive ever gottin, good thing my iphone is coming tomorrow. 1.1.3 seems free, Just plugged in my jailbroken touch. New features listed are "Support for Movie Rentals and Bug Fixes"

Maybe the apps are seperate?

Definatly buyin an Apple TV, Goes perfect wit my US iTunes A/c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Mr.S wrote: »
    their taking the piss asking us to pay for an update..

You don't have to pay if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

babypink wrote: »
    I'm having serious doubts about buying it....

No dedicated graphics memory, mono internal speaker, combined audio in/out jack, no firewire.......i'm gonna wait and paw one before i decide!!!
    I can live without most of them.. it would be great for business purposes. Though I would struggle with 1 USB port. My MacBook is small and all that but something that small and portable would be perfect.

I can use my MacMini for most stuff at home and my MacBook when my TV ain't available (my 37" telly is hooked up to my MacBook) but that'd be ideal for travelling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Getting haunted now when plugging in the touch:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

the mid range macbook is portable

i can (and do) juggle it - the adapter is small too - wrap it up - in a bag (schoolbag size)

4 hours of wireless - note taking - has dvd - has two usb - a lot better than this new macbook ''ultra'' portable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

you can always buy a zune
    (haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

but still, to ask people to pay for an update is just not on.

anyone got a full list of the features on the update?

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/whatsnew.html

Might get an Apple TV but seeing as u can just update the old one i'll prob just get a used one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

whiterebel wrote: »
    Getting haunted now when plugging in the touch:mad:

Meaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So it's a broken, skinny laptop. Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paskehan

is the irish store down again?

im not sure if i like the mackbook air. any news on if normal macbooks will be reduced in price?

and 20 euro to get new features on touch!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Totally underwhelmed with the Macbook Air.

Far too expensive for the performance and features. Twice the price for a lesser machine as far as I can see.

It's thin.. but it's not overly small otherwise, so what's the point? The bag you carry it in will need to be the same size.

Really can't see who this is marketed towards at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Meaning?

Sorry, only the first time..."Do you want to upgrade?"

Just looking for the f**k off option.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Went to download latest version of iTunes and it offered a x64 version. (I've WinXP x64

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iTunes7/Win/061-3987.20080115.3D5gF/iTunes64Setup.exe

A first??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing to be honest. I was really holding out for a bigger Touch SKU. I still believe 16gb just isn't big enough to take full advantage of everything the machine offers. Can't see myself grabbing one until it's 30gb or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hmmm, I was going to get a TB drive for my Apple TV anyways so this is perfect. Will definitely be picking up one on those on release.

The_Edge wrote: »
    Went to download latest version of iTunes and it offered a x64 version. (I've WinXP x64

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iTunes7/Win/061-3987.20080115.3D5gF/iTunes64Setup.exe

A first??

Gash....It's for Vista x64 only.
    Anyone have the direct link to the download?

Bad points...

$20 iTouch upgrage price even tho its dropped in price
    No user replaceable batter on Macbook Air(big big bad point i thin)
    HD moives can only be downloaded via apple tv
    Not all movies have 5.1

anyone got any more??

The_Edge wrote: »

A first??

Gash....It's for Vista x64 only.
    Anyone have the direct link to the download?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No movies/tv show downloads for Ireland users. :(

Still? That's a bloody joke. The UK has them. Microsoft somehow managed to do it with Xbox Live Marketplace and Apple have been in the game for longer. They need to pull their finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm sorry apple but if you're going to release a super ultra portable thin laptop, at least give it move than ****ing one usb port.

means that if you have it in an office envionment you can't plug in a mouse and a usb harddrive at the same time.

really poor show tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Officially out now. Disappointed forreal forreal:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Ye must of had high hopes for this event. I thought they may announce movie rentals for Ireland and other countries but they could still come. Unklerosco are you sure you can only download HD movies over ATV because there are component cables out for the iPod?

from engadget

We've also learned that HD movie rentals will be available exclusively through the Apple TV, and considering that only rentals made from iTunes can be moved to other devices, any downloads originating from the Apple TV (including everything in high-definition) won't be making their way onto your iPod, iTunes library, etc. Depressing, we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Well Im sure glad I didnt sit in to watch that! Most disappointing keynote in a long long time. MBAir, nice idea, nice looking toy, not a serious enough machine to be a primary (IMHO, well for my uses anyway), and not going to fork out for a travel buddy look good accessorie. Perhaps when they update it sometime next year or shortly after, for now im happy.

Time Capsule, interesting.

Pay for the Touch upgrade - meh $20 for safe carefree firmware updates vs jailbreak hassle, im not against the idea of shelling out tbh.

The rest - meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

lads, you'd be in the know more then me. should i buy my mbp now or will it be updated during the conference, or soon after? i said i'd get it whether or not there was an update, because lets face it, it'll last longer then any laptop i buy out of pc world...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

TimeCapsule looks to be the most interesting thing for me because as atm i have a 1TB NAS running off my linksys WAG353G router but the problem is the switch on the router is only 10mb/sec whereas wireless n would give me faster speeds and one less power plug.

Meh, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a MBP refresh (as in redesign) soon knowing the way Apple works. I've decided to investigate a MBP now, either that or buy a new Sony TZ:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭grumpypaddy

20 euro off 8gig touch and 30 off 16gig version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 demc7

I was just thinking about this minor thing: does the mac logo on the back of the Macbook Air light up, as it has this new fancy LED screen and no backlight?

Advertisement