Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about a scooter...

• 04-12-2007 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

I have my full class B licence since March 2006. Thinking of getting a scooter to get to and from college. Probably only 50cc. Don't want to spend too much. I haven't ridden a scooter before, should I get lessons or would my dad be able to show me how it's done?

What would anyone recommend buying? Have been looking at the entry level Piaggios, they look nice enough. Was looking at the Peugots and Aprillas but they weren't exactly the style I was looking for.

Is there anywhere online I can get a gauge of a price?

What would I be looking at in insurance? I'm a 21 yr old female.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm sure you're all sick of these threads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you can afford it go Jap or Apprilia, but dont even think of Chinese or Korean models that are creeping into the country. They look flashy but if something goes wrong with them you might as well dump them because no mechanic will touch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I bought a brand new Gilera Runner SP (50cc) and I loved it! I had it for 2 years and had it serviced regularly and never had any problems with it. It looked pretty decent but was a loud little hair dryer..dogs used to chase me :o

Used it for commuting and it served its purpose well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

For a 50cc scooter a 50cc Vespa is probably the best in terms of looks (retro looking) and they last forever.

As for training, probably worth getting a couple of hours training as it's a whole other ballgame compared to driving a car.

Insurance should be ok considering you're female, Quinn Direct, Carol Nash and AON are the only ones who'll insure bikes.

Make sure you get your license updated with an 'M' on it otherwise technically you can't ride a moped, although in reality it doesn't usually matter. Any tax office should do it for you.

Get a decent helmet/jacket/pants/gloves too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_c wrote: »
    Get a decent helmet/jacket/pants/gloves too

I'll second that...
    U see people going round on scooters with very little gear on. I've never come off one myself, but i know people who has... A nice few cuts and bruises from slow speed falls... Also, i would only reccommend a scooter if ur only doing city routes, they are not mad for the country, and doing slow speeds on country roads can be a big danger... If this is the case, go for a small (50cc, 75cc etc) motorbike. Although u'll have to do the theory test again:(

LM

Not to mention this time of year you'll be frozen without decent gear, and decent gear doesn't mean a winter jacket and ski gloves - it means a padded/armoured jacket/pants and motorbike gloves.

• Advertisement

Not to mention this time of year you'll be frozen without decent gear, and decent gear doesn't mean a winter jacket and ski gloves - it means a padded/armoured jacket/pants and motorbike gloves.

Believe me, no matter how much u spend, some night, u'll near freeze...

Believe me, no matter how much u spend, some night, u'll near freeze...

Thats what heated vests are for ;0)

Thats what heated vests are for ;0)

Heated vests? I'd heard of heated hand grips(which i find of no use what so ever)... I'd say i'l stick with my four jumpers, jacket, protective jacket, and wet gear:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I'll second that...
    U see people going round on scooters with very little gear on. I've never come off one myself, but i know people who has... A nice few cuts and bruises from slow speed falls... Also, i would only reccommend a scooter if ur only doing city routes, they are not mad for the country, and doing slow speeds on country roads can be a big danger... If this is the case, go for a small (50cc, 75cc etc) motorbike. Although u'll have to do the theory test again:(

LM

I got my licence before October 06 so I think I can drive a moped on my current licence without having to do the theory test. If I have to do the theory test I may aswell get an A/A1 licence...

tywy wrote: »
    I got my licence before October 06 so I think I can drive a moped on my current licence without having to do the theory test. If I have to do the theory test I may aswell get an A/A1 licence...

If u want anything with gears, i.e a motorbike, u'll have to do the theory again. I'm currently selling a 02 49cc bike... PM me if u would be interested...

• Advertisement

Heated vests? I'd heard of heated hand grips(which i find of no use what so ever)... I'd say i'l stick with my four jumpers, jacket, protective jacket, and wet gear:p

http://www.chilliheatedclothing.co.uk/

Great for touring in slightly nippy weather.

http://www.chilliheatedclothing.co.uk/

Great for touring in slightly nippy weather.

Hopefully the air con in car will keep me warm when i get i:p

Hopefully the air con in car will keep me warm when i get i:p

And traffic, fuel costs, tax not to mention the extra time spent getting to where you're going... :rolleyes:

And traffic, fuel costs, tax not to mention the extra time spent getting to where you're going... :rolleyes:

I know, i know... And it's going to be so hard to say good bye to... I'll miss it:( But then again, if i went out tonight on it, i'd probably get a fast flight into a ditch;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Friend of mine is selling a scooter in UCD if you're interested, she's giving up riding for a bit for personal reasons.

She's looking for ~€1800, it's 06 with 2,500k on the clock, comes with his n' hers helmets, gloves, lock and a pair of handlebar muffs (About €350 worth of extras)

PM if you'd be interested.

Advertisement