Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shawn Michaels: Heartbreak and Triumph DVD

• 04-12-2007 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I was quite surprised to find this DVD up on Youtube so soon seeing as it's only just out but I stumbled across it earlier and just spent the last two hours or so watching it. If you haven't seen it but would like to check it out you can see it here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rl3uQjFmR1E

Anyways I figured we could discuss our thoughts on it and compare it to the other WWE DVDs. I thought it was a decent production but if you've read the book you'll know what to expect. They do add in recent events which have occurred since the book's release which was cool on their part. I don't feel it's one of their best DVDs but it's always interesting and never dull. Here's my thoughts...
    - It seemed to me like they didn't want to dwell too much on the nasty side of Michaels' character during his time at the top. In the book he's at least open that he was a dick at this point in his career but in the DVD it's as if they're trying to mimimise it and play it down. The reason this bugged me so much was because when I read the book I at least retained a sense of sympathy and compassion towards Michaels because it came across like he was remorseful, whereas when I watched the DVD it came across like his past wrongs didn't matter. I'd be curious to know if anyone else who's read the book and watched the DVD can relate to what I mean.

- Leaving out the match at WM21 with Angle was a glaring omission. Yes he's with a different company now but in the book Michaels raves about that match and yet here it's not even mentioned. Silly.

- Was a bit disappointed that they neglected to show the Rockers reunion as I enjoyed hearing how much Shawn liked it in his book and I felt it belonged on the DVD too. Jannetty essentially disappears after the beginning.

- I loved watching the early footage from the AWA and other territories. Michaels looked and spoke so differently back then. It was fascinating watching The Rockers in-ring work which was highly advanced for that time.

- I especially liked the detail on the WM19 match with Jericho as it's one of my favourites and I don't think that match gets the credit it deserves.

Overall I'd say it's an alright DVD. If you've not read the book you'll probably love it. If you have read it, well it's still interesting but you won't learn anything new that you didn't already know.

A fun way to pass the time however and you get a renewed sense of how special a performer Shawn Michaels really is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Michaels has, in MY opinion,before anyone jumps all over it, been the most consistent performer of the past 10 years,possible of all time seriously has he EVER had a truly bad match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Shawn Michaels is the MAN!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I watched the documentary. It's solid but I'll be buying the dvd purely for the matches.

I won't spoiler all this as it's just really my hunch. I think the most interesting thing that comes across to me in the documentary is that even though I believe he genuinely has changed, there is still a bit of the old Shawn Michaels in him and that comes out in sections on the dvd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't really watch wrestling anymore but when i did shawn was one of my favourites from back in 'the rockers' days. I'll be giving this a watch shortly:) Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

krudler wrote: »
    Michaels has, in MY opinion,before anyone jumps all over it, been the most consistent performer of the past 10 years,possible of all time seriously has he EVER had a truly bad match?

Your ideas intrigue me. i would like to subscribe to your newsletter and/or pamhlet. ;)

You are spot on here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Yeah, he's the reason I watch wrestling. That early D-X period really won me over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Real831

Hbk = Goat

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Got the dvd on region 1. Documentary is really good. Some great extras on there too. Recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I hadn't read the book so I really enjoyed the documentary part of it. I feel slightly jipped with the matches on it though, notibly the lack of HBK vs Jericho at WM 19, vs Taker at Bad Blood, vs Austin at WM14, vs Triple H at Summerslam 2002 and vs Razor at WM10. I suppose they are all on other WWE DVDs but I haven't got them so its a pity :( The older matches make it well worth it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think those matches were on the From The Vault DVD about Shawn

• Advertisement
Advertisement