Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target 100

Options
  • 04-12-2007 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭

Male: 33
    Height: 6ft
    Weight: 107kg

Target of 100Kg

All suggestion, constructive criticism welcome

Started on and off at start of October (weight 117kg)

Current workout

3.2km jog (park)

4km Cycle (gym bike)
    1km Row (row machine)

Swim 100m (10x 10m, poor swimmer)
    Seat Press 100Kg x 40
    Pull Down 40kg x 40
    Pec Fly 25kg x40
    Ab Cruches 5 x 30 sets

Saturday
    3.2Km Jog - 21.23

Sunday
    3.2km Jog - 23.20

Monday
    3.2km Jog - 21.40

Tuesday (tomorrow)
    Rest day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Wednesday
    3.2Km Jog (Road) 21.40

Thursday

Gym Work

Unassisted crunches x 20
    Assisted Crunches 5x30

Seat Press 100kg 3x20
    Leg Extension 50kg 3x20
    Leg Curl 40kg 3x20
    Lat Pulldown 50kg 3x20
    Shoulder Press 25kg 2x20
    Pec Fly 25kg 3x20

Swim
    4x10m

Friday

3.2Km Jog (Road)

21:25

Running on roads/footpaths is a mixed bag, easier with reference points (eg at the lights it will be 2/3's etc) however i find crossing roads etc a pain

Lungs performing better

saturday

3.2km jog (park)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Thursday

Swim
    4x10m

is that 10 or 100m?

• Advertisement

sadly 10m

Sunday, Monday & Tuesday

Working away from home, no training time :(

very bad week for training due to work :(

Thursday

3.2km (road)

starting to feel i have more in the tank when i finish the run,

Weekend wedding in kerry, too much beer, not enough good things!

Tuesday

3.2km (Road)

was sure i'd get under the 20, maybe tomorrow. nothing left in the tank after that, but the progress slowly continues

wednesday

3.2km (park)

total wrecked at the end, thats a good sign isnt it...:)

sunday

3.2km (road)

headwind and big dinner didnt help

Weight as of this morning 105kg

• Advertisement

thursday

back after an enforced xmas break

3.2km (road)

happy enough for what was nearly a 2 week layoff, no extra weight from xmas (thankfully)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Are you planning on including weights?

BossArky wrote: »
    Are you planning on including weights?

I am but im very busy with work at the mo, i'm generally running late in the evening as you can see from the times im posting

Would be happy to hear any suggestions you might have for a weights program

Friday

3.2km (road)

Do you have access to a gym now? In one of the earlier posts you mention gym work?

If yes, incorporate deadlifts, squats, bench press, military press and pull ups.

If no, go to a sports store and get a barbell (around 20kg) and some plates (20kg for each side of barbell). This will give you 60kg with which to deadlift and military press, etc at home.

You may want to get some lighter weights, such as a set of 2.5kg plates, 5kg, 7.5kg, 10kg, etc... until you build up to the higher weighs. I'm not sure what strength level you are at.

I find that if I just do cardio (run, cycle, swim) then I get skinny from muscle being eaten away. I get a lot better results from incorporating weight training. It also seems to really help my swimming, and probably sprinting too. I know you want to loose weight, but you want the stuff that is left behind to be lean muscle, not just weak skin and bone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

BossArky wrote: »
    Do you have access to a gym now? In one of the earlier posts you mention gym work?

If yes, incorporate deadlifts, squats, bench press, military press and pull ups.

If no, go to a sports store and get a barbell (around 20kg) and some plates (20kg for each side of barbell). This will give you 60kg with which to deadlift and military press, etc at home.

You may want to get some lighter weights, such as a set of 2.5kg plates, 5kg, 7.5kg, 10kg, etc... until you build up to the higher weighs. I'm not sure what strength level you are at.

I find that if I just do cardio (run, cycle, swim) then I get skinny from muscle being eaten away. I get a lot better results from incorporating weight training. It also seems to really help my swimming, and probably sprinting too. I know you want to loose weight, but you want the stuff that is left behind to be lean muscle, not just weak skin and bone.

Quoted for truth

I will give the weights a bash, i have avoided the gym in the run up to xmas as its at liffey valley and the traffic is dreadful, but i'll give the weights a bash when i got back this week

Sunday

3.2km (park)

Wednesday (last week)

Self defence class, a different type of work out and got to use muscle areas that i wouldnt normally test

Saturday

3.2km (park)

Sunday

Gym work, free weights and machine weights
    starting on smaller weights and working on upper body muscles first
    I think the running is looking after the leg muscles

Wednesday

another self defence class, again different muscle ranges and a different type of warm up than im used to

Not traveling as much next week so would expect to have a better workout from then

Gym

Treadmill .5km (2.30)

Seat Press 100Kg x 60
    Pec Fly 45kg x50
    Ab Cruches 6 x 30 sets

Standing Dumbbell Curls 40 @ 5kg
    Standing Dumbbell Side Raises 40 @5kg
    Military Press 40 @ 5Kg

3.2km (park)

I have increased the gym work still trying to find my measure with weights however i am doing a lot of few weights and running being dying with a flu since last week and not a lot done i'm afriad

weight now 101Kg...the target appraoches :)

• Advertisement

Target 100 hit back in march , thankfully, now back from the holidays (oz) I've managed to not put any weight on now its time for target 95

Park today 3.2km 20.43 time to lay off the booze too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

http://www.mikementzer.com/bodyfat.html

buddy i wud rate jogging as a very poor use of time.
    try som HIIT, and some Tabatta, I tried tabatta sprints once, only once, never again Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Treadmill .5km (2.30)
    Seat Press 100Kg x 60
    Pec Fly 45kg x50
    Ab Cruches 6 x 30 sets
    Standing Dumbbell Curls 40 @ 5kg
    Standing Dumbbell Side Raises 40 @5kg
    Military Press 40 @ 5Kg

buddy i think u would be far better tring some of the bigger compounds, deads squats etc.
    these however are kinda scary at first as i have been finding out. if you can commit to squats then i promise you it will yeild unreal results. i have been doing them for about a month, i got 4 reps at 110kg kast week when to weeks previous i was struggling with 70kg. i hated them at first but a huge factor is correct form and allowing your body time to adjust to stretching in that way.

firstly with your routine i would drop ab work, no matter how much people want to believe it, u cannot burn of stomach fat by doing abs, fat distribution is genitic, and by being able to do 30 reps you arent building and decent muscle.

secondly bicep curls ave to go, or at least pushed to the side line. the bicep makes up one third of the arm the tricep makes up two thirds, so the bicep is actuall a very small muscle.

the amount of reps you do also has to change, by doing low weights at high volume, u wont be building much muscle, now i know your prob saying to yourself, "ya but im using them to burn calories the more i do the more calories i will burn" if this is true then u better read the article i posted before this post. a big strong muscle will consume calories 24 hours a day fact.
    so how bout this
    start with your thredmill
    im not sure wot a seat press is, i think its a seated chest press?
    ok do the seated chest press, you want four sets max, 1st can be light, warming up the muscles, but the other three shoul be in rep range of 6-8 for maximum muscle growth

these chest presses are **** however, so when u have finished you 4 sets, you should do one very light set on dumbell bench press. this sets only functin is to get you used to this excercise as gradually u shud ween yourself of the chest press thing onto these.
    free weights are excellent and incorrporate a huge selection of muscle for balance and the nervous system.

if you give your chest a good workout through benching there is no need to do flys, lots of people like them, mostly because they can feel the "pump" in there arms afterwards, unfornatly u shudne really do them for your arms, there a chest excercise god damn it.

ok BOR or bent over rows, now here is where it gets interesting, i would advise you youtube it, look for single arm ones, this would mean your left knew and left hand on a bench as u lift with right arm.
    form is important, and warm up also as u may not have done these before, slow movements NO SUDDEN JERKY MOVEMENTS as so many disco boys like to do.

these work your back and biceps.
    now when you have done your last set on your right arm u can immediatly do dumbell curls. the bicep is the secondary muscle worked in BOR so u can finish it off it you want. and same with left arm.

single arm standing shoulder press/military press are excellent movement, start light but u want to be lifting an amount which pushes urself, to create the tiny tears in your muscle.

now we come to squats. and the fun. i dont want you to get to hung up on these at first. but you do have to practice the movement with no weight to begin with. it took me soooo long to actually do a squat which didnt feel uncomfortable, and the reason for this was that i practices them with no weight, your legs are the bigest muscles in the body doesnt it make sense to work them.

once again youtube is excellent. but at the beginning dont worry about adding weight just do them with no weight. and yes they will feel un comfortable, and yes you will hate doing them, but holy god they are good, once u engage the big muscle groups in hard work the amount of muscle promoting chemicals which they release into the body is enormous. by working the big compounds your core gets an amazing workout

ps im not tring to sound like a know all, cus im bot, but i speak from alot of trial and error i

thanks I'll have a read of that tonight

yesterday park 3.2km 19.50

Advertisement