Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB ports not working

• 04-12-2007 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

My USB ports all stopped working very suddenly. Nothing is being detected when I connect it to a device to a USB port apart from an ipod. The weird thing is when I connect my ipod to any of the ports, it shows it's getting power and charging, but it is not being detected.

Any ideas? thanks for any help guys... :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

raheny red wrote: »
    My USB ports all stopped working very suddenly. Nothing is being detected when I connect it to a device to a USB port apart from an ipod. The weird thing is when I connect my ipod to any of the ports, it shows it's getting power and charging, but it is not being detected.

Any ideas? thanks for any help guys... :)

If their onboard USB ports I would go to the "Device Manager" & see if it's reporting problems.

Right click "My Computer" & choose "Manage" then click on "Device Manager"

If there's a problem you will see either a question mark or an exclamation mark beside them.

You may need to remove & reinstall the drivers.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

Go to Control Panel - Administrative tools - Services and ensure that the plugandplay service is started. Have you tested a few devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭raheny red

Cheers for the qucik responses lads. ;)

If their onboard USB ports I would go to the "Device Manager" & see if it's reporting problems.

Right click "My Computer" & choose "Manage" then click on "Device Manager"

If there's a problem you will see either a question mark or an exclamation mark beside them.

You may need to remove & reinstall the drivers.

-

Checked the above and there were no question marks or exclamation ,marks. I'm really at a lost as to what the problem could be.
    jtiernan wrote: »
    Have you tested a few devices?

Yep, plenty, and still no joy.

This looks like it might be your problem? (Courtesy of Microsoft)

SYMPTOMS
    When you connect a new USB device to a computer that has no USB devices, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 may not detect the new device.
    Back to the top

CAUSE
    This problem may occur because, when no device is connected to a USB port, the USB driver sets the Open Host Controller Interface (OHCI) controller to suspend. When the OHCI controller is in a suspended state, it cannot always detect when you add a new USB device to your computer.
    Back to the top

RESOLUTION
    Windows XP users

Step 1
    To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack

Step 2
    After you apply the latest Windows XP service pack, you can create a new registry entry that prevents an OHCI controller from entering Suspend mode.

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

Disable the Selective Suspend feature of the USB hub driver. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD.
    4. Type DisableSelectiveSuspend, and then press ENTER.
    5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    6. Type 1, and then click OK.
    Note If the DisableSelectiveSuspend registry entry is not present, you must create it. This setting affects all USB host controller drivers in the system.

If the value of the DisableSelectiveSuspend registry entry is set to 1, the Selective Suspend feature is disabled. Additionally, the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box does not appear on the Power Management tab for the USB Root Hub.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Just tried your post above and still no joy, I'm fearing the worst now :( - anymore ideas? cheers ;)

• Advertisement

*BUMP*

I've gone through the above posts numerous times. I'm using a Sony Vaio with Windows service pack 2. I'm really at a loss at this stage and it's beginning to become frustrating not being able to use USB devices on my home comp. My digi cam and MP3 are gathering plenty of dust. I've trawled through many a website looking for advice on the above problem. Could the problem be that they USBs are simply broke or damaged in any way? How much would it cost to get new hubs put in place?

Thanks for the help above guys, anymore help would be greatly appreciated. :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

That's a strange one , alright ! As a workaround you can get a USB PC Card for little more than a tenner , which would at least get you connected again .

I would probably uninstal and reinstal the USB controllers at this stage ( for want of a better idea! ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Try getting Service Pack 3.

Cheers for the quicks responses lads.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Try getting Service Pack 3.

Just in the process of downloading it now, here's hoping :)

nessyguin wrote: »
    That's a strange one , alright ! As a workaround you can get a USB PC Card for little more than a tenner , which would at least get you connected again .

If the above doesn't do it for me I'll try this option out. Always thought of buying an external USB port but I was under the impression that you have to connect them into an existing USB port on your computer :o:confused:
    I would probably uninstal and reinstal the USB controllers at this stage ( for want of a better idea! ) .

I've tried that plenty of times already but to no avail :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

if it is a physical fault,u will find it next to impossible for any pc repair shop to source the
    parts for the vaio,it will cost u something like 850 euro (i **** u not) to get it repaired thru sony.
    how long is it out of warranty??which vaio is it?

• Advertisement

jackncoke wrote: »
    if it is a physical fault,u will find it next to impossible for any pc repair shop to source the
    parts for the vaio,it will cost u something like 850 euro (i **** u not) to get it repaired thru sony.
    how long is it out of warranty??which vaio is it?

€850? *lifts jaw from floor*. I don't know how long it is out of warranty but I bought insurance with it but I think that's gone by 18 months or so. I've not exactly sure if this is the model name? - Sony Vaio RS PCV-RS702

Just finishing service pack 3 but doesn't seem like it has made a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Sounds like a hardware problem alright. The mobo will have to be replaced, the above price seams accurate, unfortunately !!

Would it be worth a shot checking out the USB PC Card? Only a student working part time don't fancy forking out nearly a grand. What do Harvey Norman usually offer on their warranties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Yes , it would be worth trying . Do you have any PCMCIA cards lying around to check that port is working ok ? If not , at the worst you'll lose the cost of a PC card (which you could probably sell on at a minor loss) . At best you wont need to replace the mobo and everything works for you ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Id also try a reimage of the laptop. Obviously backup all your iimportant data to dvd's or a external hdd. With all viao laptops there is a repair partition. Iirc its f11 or f12 when booting to activate this. Basically what it will do is wipe the primary partition and reinstall the operating system and all the drivers. Including all the sony bloatware like trials of ms office and photoshop.

Do you have any PCMCIA cards lying around to check that port is working ok ?

My computer knowledge is very limited so I'm not sure if I have one of them. Although I did try a SD card from my digi cam and that wasn't detected either.
    Anti wrote: »
    Id also try a reimage of the laptop. Obviously backup all your iimportant data to dvd's or a external hdd. With all viao laptops there is a repair partition. Iirc its f11 or f12 when booting to activate this. Basically what it will do is wipe the primary partition and reinstall the operating system and all the drivers. Including all the sony bloatware like trials of ms office and photoshop.

I'm using a desktop. The above which you have explained, is that basically restoring the factory settings?

As I said in the OP the Ipod still gets charged through the USB so could it really be a physical fault.

Cheers again folks, these suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rax75

I had the exact same problem a few months ago. I tried everything mentioned above but couldn't get them to work again. I ended up reinstalling XP and the USB ports came back to life! I think the problem had something to do with service pack 2 but I'm not sure. I would definitely try this before letting Sony get their hands on it.

I went into device manager and checked the properties of all the USB Root Hubs and Universal Host Controller.

For each of the above it said they were working properly? I'm baffled :confused:

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8127/usbqj7.png

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1715/usb2rz5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Backup docs ,mp3s, and reinstall windows, i had same problem,with dell pc,soundcard in device manager working,but no sound ,i reinstalled winxp,now its fine.IF YOU MAKE SHORCUT TO PROGS IN C,PROGRAMS SOME WILL STILL WORK FINE,after winxp install. FIRST download drivermax, it backs up ALL your pc drivers to folder,my drivers,saves looking round 4 the old driver cdroms.

To re-install windows should I download a previous version before I un-install XP?

Also would I be able to get a PCI USB card in Dublin City or would I have to order online?

• Advertisement

To re-install you will need the following.

The Operating System (XP) on disc.

OR-

The Recovery Disc that came with your machine (If one did come with it)

OR-

Install from the hidden Recovery Partition already on the System (If one exists). It would normally be on the D:\ drive & you would activate it by pressing the F10 key on start-up (Watch the Splash screen on Startup)

Be aware though!
    All of the above procedures will format you hard drive during the process.
    So any "Mission Critical" data (Files you wish to keep such as Music, Pictures, Word Docs Etc.) will need to be backed up prior to starting the operation.

-

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

One thing you can try doing is uninstalling all the USB Host Controllers in Device manager and rebooting (Right click each one and Uninstall), upon next boot windows will detect the usb ports automaticly which *could* hopefully put on better drivers and fix them, if not it would probably be worth backing up all data (Use ethernet cable with another pc to transfer it over) and formatting the drive, could be a serious driver conflict/issiue which formatting would hopefully fix...

Good luck

Nick

Cheers guys, but I think I should give the PCI USB card a shot? Was just looking at the Radionics website ->HERE. Should one of these at least help me with using my digi cam and ipod and such?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-2-0-PCMCIA-CARDBUS-4-PORTS-HUB-ADAPTOR-FOR-LAPTOPS_W0QQitemZ330205958792QQihZ014QQcategoryZ42323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Heres one for a laptop for a tenner, does 4 ports by the looks of it... They'll have their own usb controller onboard so it should solve the problem

Nick

Note: This one may not work if you cannot get power from any usb ports on the laptop, I cant find one that doesnt need additional power

yoyo wrote: »
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-2-0-PCMCIA-CARDBUS-4-PORTS-HUB-ADAPTOR-FOR-LAPTOPS_W0QQitemZ330205958792QQihZ014QQcategoryZ42323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Heres one for a laptop for a tenner, does 4 ports by the looks of it... They'll have their own usb controller onboard so it should solve the problem

Nick

Note: This one may not work if you cannot get power from any usb ports on the laptop, I cant find one that doesnt need additional power

Sorry, when I posted the Radionics link I should have said that I plan to head over to them tomorrow. Have nothing else to do. I'm coming from Raheny and they are based in Rialto so does anyone know if anywhere in the city center does them?

Well there must be power going through the usb on the desktop as the ipod is able to charge through that.

A PCI card wont work on a laptop, they'll only work on desktops (You linked to a page with PCI cards), that site seems very expensive for what their selling, up to you though, if you really want to use the site THIS is what your looking for, very poor value and a four port one you can get on ebay for a tenner, btw read my post above all the USB PCMCIA cards seem to need to get power from a usb port on the laptop, so this (and the only handy solution) may not work!

Nick

I'm using a desktop. I'm confused now :).

Thinking of going with a Belkin USB 2.0 5-Port PCI Card - would that be suitable for my desktop? :)

I'm using a desktop. I'm confused now :).

Thinking of going with a Belkin USB 2.0 5-Port PCI Card - would that be suitable for my desktop? :)
    Ahh ok man my bad, thought all Vaios were laptops!, any of the pci cards should do the trick so :)

Nick

For some reason I also assumed it was a laptop you had! :D

Those cards are dirt cheap and will work

• Advertisement

Cheers everyone for the help, greatly appreciated, and sorry if I have pissed everyone off with my computer illiteracy :D

I'll post back tomorrow with the results of the PCI card

Cheers everyone for the help, greatly appreciated, and sorry if I have pissed everyone off with my computer illiteracy :D

I'll post back tomorrow with the results of the PCI card
    All you need to do is slot it in to a free PCI slot (There usually white and come in a few) and XP will pick it up upon boot, shouldnt need any drivers installed :)

Good luck

Nick

Pacifico wrote: »
    Those cards are dirt cheap and will work

Here's hoping. I defo don't want to fork out on a new mobo :(

I've been reading up on installing the PCI card yourself and it seems to be a piece of cake? Once I'm careful I should be grand yeah?

Yeah, just make sure its off before you insert the card! :D

Here's hoping. I defo don't want to fork out on a new mobo :(

I've been reading up on installing the PCI card yourself and it seems to be a piece of cake? Once I'm careful I should be grand yeah?
    Yeah touch a bit of unpainted metal on the case as precaution, unscrew one of the blanking plates and then slot the pci card in, as pacifico mentioned ensure theres no power going to pc at this stage :D

Nick

It's popped in now and went into the CD installer to install it , then restarted comp but the comp doesn't recognise that it's there!

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Did windows not auto detect it? Also see if theres any devices under usb with a exclamation mark beside em in device manager, if there is rightr click it and update driver, check cd for a driver folder and point it to the wizard at this point, might work, if not you could have a software fault not being able to use usb...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I wouldn't be too sure your original problem was a hardware issue. When I have come across this in the past, this has fixed it for me;

Removing the VID entries from the registry will cause them to be redetected at restart.
    CAUTION: If you have a USB keyboard or mouse, do not remove the VID entry for these devices, otherwise, Windows may not restart correctly.
    1. Click Start and click Run. Type regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor window will open.
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB.
    3. Highlight and delete all the VID_…. entries.
    Permissions may be set allowing the deletion of the VID_ entries by following the steps below:
    a)Right-click the key to be deleted, and then click Permissions. The VID_… Permissions window will open.
    b)With Everyone highlighted in the Group or User name section, select Full Control in the Permissions section.
    c)Click Apply, and then click OK.
    4. Turn off the computer.

Also, I have found that when you have mapped a network drive and assigned it the first 'free' letter after your fixed drives, this can cause problems. When you plug in a usb drive, it tries to assign the same letter, it can't because it is mapped, so it looks like the usb drive is not detected. If this is true in your case, you can go to admin tools/computer management/disk management and you will see the drive there, and manualy assign it a drive letter. Or better, change your mapped drive letter.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers for the responses once again lads.
    yoyo wrote: »
    Did windows not auto detect it?
    Also see if theres any devices under usb with a exclamation mark beside em in device manager, if there is rightr click it and update driver, check cd for a driver folder and point it to the wizard at this point, might work, if not you could have a software fault not being able to use usb...

Nothing for any of the above.
    Removing the VID entries from the registry will cause them to be redetected at restart.
    CAUTION: If you have a USB keyboard or mouse, do not remove the VID entry for these devices, otherwise, Windows may not restart correctly.
    1. Click Start and click Run. Type regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor window will open.
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB.
    3. Highlight and delete all the VID_…. entries.
    Permissions may be set allowing the deletion of the VID_ entries by following the steps below:
    a)Right-click the key to be deleted, and then click Permissions. The VID_… Permissions window will open.
    b)With Everyone highlighted in the Group or User name section, select Full Control in the Permissions section.
    c)Click Apply, and then click OK.
    4. Turn off the computer.

Nah, nothing again.

Also, I have found that when you have mapped a network drive and assigned it the first 'free' letter after your fixed drives, this can cause problems. When you plug in a usb drive, it tries to assign the same letter, it can't because it is mapped, so it looks like the usb drive is not detected. If this is true in your case, you can go to admin tools/computer management/disk management and you will see the drive there, and manualy assign it a drive letter. Or better, change your mapped drive letter.

Hope this helps :)

How does one do this?

Hmmm, the ipod lights up, as it does with the old ones and begins charging. However, the comp doesn't recognise that it is connected.

EDIT: All the USB ports light up the ipod but only the USBs at the front actually charge it

Hmmm, the ipod lights up, as it does with the old ones and begins charging. However, the comp doesn't recognise that it is connected.

EDIT: All the USB ports light up the ipod but only the USBs at the front actually charge it
    I would try mapping the ipod a different letter as Blackhorse Slim suggests, to get into disk management easier, right click the my computer icon in the start menu and click manage, then a new window appears in here you click disk management :)

Nick

• Advertisement

The ipod is connected and this is all that is coming up?

usb4td8.png

OK, Yep theres an issiue, I'd say all the ipod is doing is drawing power from the usb port but isnt actually connected, it could be a software fault, would it be too much hasstle to backup everything and format (Wipe windows and re-install from scratch) the machine? If windows after format still wont recognise usb ports well then theres something seriously wrong :S Did any new hardware found message pop up when you installed the pci card? Coz if not the pci cards slot could also be screwed or the card itself although that would be quite unusual :O

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Cheers for the responses once again lads.

Nothing for any of the above.

Nah, nothing again.

How does one do this?

From the screenshot you posted, this is not the issue.

The way I see it, you have two options; buy a new pci usb controller or re-install windows. One option will work, but I can't think of a way to check without doing one or the other to see.

OP already baught a PCI card to try and use, I guess your best bet now would be to backup everything and format windows which should hopefully solve the issiue :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

i used to have a similar problem on windows me. my usb ports would uninstall all the time! haha. damn m.e.!

try updating your mobo bios.

Got the PCI card going, but still no luck with the on-board USBs. The PCI card will do for now I suppose. Cheers for all the help and patience folks. Top forum :cool:;)

Got the PCI card going, but still no luck with the on-board USBs. The PCI card will do for now I suppose. Cheers for all the help and patience folks. Top forum :cool:;)

Download this & run it, restart your PC & check your onboard USB ports again.

http://www.speedyshare.com/125246311.html

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

My USB ports all stopped working very suddenly.
    What day did it happen ??
    If it was thursday then do a system restore to wednesday problem solved.

Advertisement