Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To Rush or Lusk area..Thoughts?

Options
  • 04-12-2007 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,

I'm considering moving to the Rush / Lusk area...any thoughts..I'm not that familiar with either of them and would appreciate any thoughts on quality of life out that way etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

lusk is like an extension of finglas,ballymun and rush is a battleground for eastern europeans,but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Scooby_Doo

What a fantastic opinion!! No doubt its from someone from such an area as he says, who has never been out there....

lusk is a very nice yet very quiet town, but its infrastructure is growing so it should be quite the town in a few years. Most likely will be the new swords but like all towns that grow im sure it will end up with the usual scumbag element such as swords does!!

Rush is indeed been plagued by eastern europeans, shame really as it was once a lovely town, but then again they are taking over everywhere, sure i know of a bar in nearby swords that is strictly polish now. and if you dare venture in as an irish person, you are soon hounded out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

i actually live very close to lusk and have alot of friends there,i never said anything about scumbag elements in the town,i merely meant that it is expanding like ballymun and finglas and i also know alot of people from these areas that have moved here,and i mean a lot.glad you agree with me on the rush situation though...regards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Before you buy there practice your commute. By this I mean stay overnight in the area on a weekday, and drive or take public transport into work. Lots of people are lulled into thinking that either are a 40-minute drive or an easy train journey away from the city centre. However, reality hits home pretty quickly when they try to negotiate the M1 on a rainy Monday morning, or are unable to squeeze onto a commuter train because of overcrowding.

Both towns are nice - Rush has more in the way of infrastructure - schools, pubs, arts centre, theatre. Neither are near the train station so you'll have to drive (get there early to get a parking space) or get the bus.

Both towns - like everywhere in Fingal - have expanded beyond all recognition in the last 10 years so there are large estates where people don't know their neighbours, and the amenities are still catching up.

Do your homework before you buy - consider renting first just to get a feel for the place before you shell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Unshelved wrote: »
    Neither are near the train station so you'll have to drive (get there early to get a parking space) or get the bus.
    The post office in Lusk in 1.7 km from the train station, a brisk 20 minute walk. Some areas are closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Scooby_Doo wrote: »
    Rush is indeed been plagued by eastern europeans, shame really as it was once a lovely town
    I disagree with the term "plagued". They've never caused me to have any negative views of them as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

ive lived in rush for 4 years approx and from what i can see in relation to the foreign national population here they have intergrated into the town quite well. for the most part they work in the fields, farms and glasshouses in the area and live mainly in rented accomadation. in a small town like rush the minority population will allways be closely watched by the locals and as soon as a foot is put wrong the news travels fast. from what i can see its mostly a live and let live situation and words like plagued and battleground do not bare any accurate description to what ive observed in the last 4 years.
    the downside however is the public transport. you would be very lucky to get a seat on any train between the hours of 7-10am that pass trough rush/lusk train station and the bus service has absolutley no continuity with the train service.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

I too live in Rush, and must say I love living there. I don't see any problem with non-nationals, as the poster said above, they are the ones keeping the traditional economy of the area alive (agriculture).
    As for the train service, it's ok. e.g. I leave the house at 7:00 in the morning, park at the train station, get the 7:15 train (standing, but you get used to it quickly), walk from pearse to Harcourt st to be at my desk for 8:20. In the evening, I leave at 5:00, get the 5:30 train from Pearse and am generally at home by 6:05...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

LOL... For once it wasn't me who stoked the flames and mentioned non-nationals. Jokes aside though, I don't live in Rush so can only comment in a limited capacity. I am aware that a very large population of eastern europeans live in Rush. The only reason I am deducing this is by reading the court report section of the Fingal Indo. Seems all the people with russian/latvian type names who are up for assault or drink driving in Fingal all give addresses in Rush. Ok when I say 'ALL' I mean over 75%. so its obviously an area where alot live.
    Lusk is a very lovely area. Still has a real "village" feel to it even though they have built alot of new house in a new development called "the village".

Advertisement