Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

few Q's about my TDI bora

Options
  • 04-12-2007 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    im driving an 02 TDI Bora comfortline. Its got 61k on the clock and has recently got a new clutch. I drive over 700miles a week on motorway mostly. Recently the car seems to be drifting to the left on a staright road, so i had a look and the front left tyre is bald... and ideas what this could be and is it essential to have it mended? Whilist im getting this done should i get the timing belt and water pump changed? any ideas on the total cost i would be expecting to fork out would be great aswell...
    thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The tyre is most likely bald or wearing erratically because your tracking is out,nothing to do with the timing belt at all,get yourself down to your local tyre centre and get the tracking checked,also might be worth checking the various bushings and track rods if it is worn so badly.

But

At 61k i would be changing the timing belt and water pump,not so long ago i priced a timing belt change,water pump change and full service from a main stealers and was quoted 1000 euro,but you would need your head checked to give them your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MOTIVATED

Hi guys,
    im driving an 02 TDI Bora comfortline. Its got 61k on the clock and has recently got a new clutch. I drive over 700miles a week on motorway mostly. Recently the car seems to be drifting to the left on a staright road, so i had a look and the front left tyre is bald... and ideas what this could be and is it essential to have it mended? Whilist im getting this done should i get the timing belt and water pump changed? any ideas on the total cost i would be expecting to fork out would be great aswell...
    thanks a million

Your tracking is off and you prob have a front shock gone , not expensive to do , timing belt & pump just cost me €300 on Skoda TDI (SAME ENGINE) Hope this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Does suggest tracking issue alright. Hit any big potholes or kerbs recently?

Dave McCann Tyres, U12 Coolmine Bus pk Clonsilla rd Blanchardstown, D15, call (01)8202221, comes highly reccomended here on boards and I've found him sound too.

Tracking should be no more than 100E and then add the cost of the tyre too.

Timing belt on a 2002 TDI should have an interval of 80,000 miles, check the service book to be sure. Important to get it right on on a TDI. Can cost up to 600E, I usually try and get it done with the 80k service to be sure it is right, but you could get it done cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

how come the clutch had to be replaced so soon? the parents have a 03 bora tdi with 145k miles on it and the clutch is still going strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Get your tracking done, And a new tyre. You should be off and away after that then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks a million guys for the prompt replies....
    The clutch went at about 53k, i bought the car second hand from a dealer in mulhudart but i think he omitted the fact that the car was proberbly used to tow a heavy trailer before i got it as it has a tow bar.... but im only guessing at this.
    Can anyone confirm that the timing belt should be changed at 80K miles as i always thought at 60K it would be for changing?
    Also MOTIVATED, any chance of letting me know where you got the belt and water pump done for 300euro?
    Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is it just one front tyre that is worn - is it worn evenly? Is the other front tyre wearing evenly? If they are then it's unlikely to be tracking. If the tracking is out then both tyres suffer excessive wear. Ususlly both will wear on the inside/outside depending on whether your tracking has too much 'toe-in' or 'toe-out'.

The drift could easily be caused by the fact that one tyre is worn bald. Replace the tyre and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

thanks a million guys for the prompt replies....
    The clutch went at about 53k, i bought the car second hand from a dealer in mulhudart but i think he omitted the fact that the car was proberbly used to tow a heavy trailer before i got it as it has a tow bar.... but im only guessing at this.
    Can anyone confirm that the timing belt should be changed at 80K miles as i always thought at 60K it would be for changing?
    Also MOTIVATED, any chance of letting me know where you got the belt and water pump done for 300euro?
    Thanks guys

All VW,Audi,SEAT & Skoda TDI's should have the cam belt & water pump replaced every 60k miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Moanin wrote: »
    All VW,Audi,SEAT & Skoda TDI's should have the cam belt & water pump replaced every 60k miles

Yup, 60k is in the Service Schedule for my 1.9 TDI

Yup yup 60k-mine was done at 58k wouldn't dream of going past 60k on a timing belt.Then again i know cars that have and have been fine,it's not worth the risk or hassle though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Try asking the lads on VAGdrivers.net - they will help you out on this - loads of TDI nuts on there.

yeah 2 thumbs up for vagdrivers.net if you are a TDI owner you should be a member over there - im a TDI nut and im a member,i.m seeing a doctor about it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks for all the advice so far guys. I've decided to get the timing belt done and spoke to a mechanic i know. He said it'd cost about 600-700 parts and labour for the belt kit and water pump... i work close to the boarder so im wondering wether its worth my whil;e going to Newry and get the parts myself? If im getting the full kit has anyone an idea what im looking for exactly as im as ignorant as you can get when it comes to stuff under the hood.
    The car is a 02 bora tdi 1.9 its got a red Di on the boot and is comfortline...
    any help would be great

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    Why chage the water pump?? Is there a leak or overheating problem??
    Cheers
    bam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

bbam wrote: »
    Hi..
    Why chage the water pump?? Is there a leak or overheating problem??
    Cheers
    bam

Water pump should be changed as original vw ones have plastic impellers which break off. Most people replace these with a brass impeller pump..

I got my 1.8t timing belt kit from USA, far cheaper and I got twice as many parts.
    Got them here, I think shipping to Ireland is around $50.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Categories?category=%22Deluxe%22+TDI+Timing+Belt+Kits

Neil.

Advertisement