Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What marques do you not buy?

Options
  • 04-12-2007 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Simply list the carmakers that you will not, under any circumstances, give real consideration to buying a car from. List a reason if you wish.

One thing I am specifically leaving out of my list is super-carmakers and dedicated sports marques. Include these if you wish.

Ford: big car, built for 3 year olds.

Smart: .

Nissan: .

Opel: Utter crap.

Ssangyong: Not convinced.

BMW: too common and not worth the premium.

Citroen: sh1troen.

Peugeot: sh1troen's inbred half-sister.

Rover/MG: .

Audi: Overpriced VW.

Hyundai: Worst car marque on the road. They should not be allowed to make cars.

Proton: .

Toyota: Completely bland and pointless.

Kia: 7 year warranty does not convince.

Land Rover: I like trees.

Cadillac: I like trees X 2, and I like to be able to tell whether my wheels are in touch with the road.

Chrysler: See Cadillac.

Suzuki: Yet to come across a car well put together.

Daewoo: American vagueness?

Daihatsu: .

FIAT: Why do people still buy these cars?

Perodua: .

Lexus: Toyota part's bin hand-me-downs, with a premium.

Mitsubishi: Nothing of note.

Bentley: Just look too brutish.

Rolls-Royce: See Bentley

----

I also will not buy any car that has not got twin reversing lights. Yes, I know: :rolleyes:. Twin rear foglights are a definite plus. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Only an idiot would categorically exclude a car from their shopping list based on the manufacturer alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Anan1 wrote: »
    Only an idiot would categorically exclude a car from their shopping list based on the manufacturer alone.

Why thank you for that most insightful remark.

If the topic offends you in such a manner why comment? Only an idiot comments on things that they deem to be of no interest to them whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

If the topic offends you in such a manner why comment? Only an idiot comments on things that they deem to be of no interest to them whatsoever.

he's dead right. you obviously have no idea what to look for when buying a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, would it not be easier to list cars you would buy?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

It's a bit ironic that anans remark was more insightful than any of yours in the OP...

• Advertisement

To be fair, I could have been a bit more tactful. That said...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ferrari
    Masserati
    Lamborghini
    Aston Martin
    Mercedes Maclaren

Reason: Poverty

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd like the OP to elaborate on Lexus and Hyundai in particular. Maybe he can educate me, as he seems to know what he's on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

The op is obviously a troll no-one can be so uneducated when it comes to cars surely

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because they're cheap, have massive warranties, the best diesel engine on the market, very good fuel efficiency and don't look like an Asian folded cardboard box?

I wouldn't buy MG or Rover, thats about it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

New ?

Volkswagen because their dealerships and after sales sucks.

Buying second hand i wouldn't really limit myself i think, depreciation has set in at that point anyway and you can look up common faults with most of them. Like the Rover 75 2 Litre Petrols, prone to head gasket failure, 3 times in 1 year is just not right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

craichoe wrote: »
    New ?

Like the Rover 75 2 Litre Petrols, prone to head gasket failure, 3 times in 1 year is just not right :)

Nonsense, the 75 is a great car and will only cause problems if your too lazy/incompetent to open the bonnet once a week and check your levels.

plissken wrote: »
    Nonsense, the 75 is a great car and will only cause problems if your too lazy/incompetent to open the bonnet once a week and check your levels.
    Like most people?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ssang Yong - because every model in their range looks like it was designed by a blind chimp with half a brain. That's about it really, I'd consider any other marque.

Nah, i disagree, it was a Company Car and regularly serviced and valeted by the dealer. The Head Gasket problem was confirmed by Rover and covered outside warranty, we even got a letter from them.

Even the Dealer Dropped Rover at that point saying he had too many people coming back with MG's and Rovers he was selling.

The Diesel Version was rock solid though, although its well known at this stage its a BMW engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It could be argued that if the bonnet has to be opened once a week then it isn't great. I'm sure we all know people who never check anything in their car and only give it abuse but they never seem to have any trouble! :(

EDIT:........and they get the same trade in price as those of us who do all the right things! :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'd never chose a car based on the badge. I like cars with high depreciation, usually about 5 or 6 years old, so that someone else has paid for that. They need to have decent handling and a bit of poke. A bit of style is good but not essential, the way it drives is much more important. I'd go for a higher mileage if it means the expensive maintenance (cam belts etc...) has been recently completed rather than needed soon, i.e. if the service interval for the belts is 70k, I'd take an 80k example with the work done over a 60k example that needs it done in the next few months. I ignore prejudices, research the common faults and check the car out properly. The first two letters on the number plate do not impress me at all. I generally don't start out with a particular budget and salesmen hate me because I just tell them that I'll pay the right money for the right car rather than giving them a figure. I tend to sell my old car privately and be a cash buyer.

Well put.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I'd never chose a car based on the badge. I like cars with high depreciation, usually about 5 or 6 years old, so that someone else has paid for that. They need to have decent handling and a bit of poke. A bit of style is good but not essential, the way it drives is much more important. I'd go for a higher mileage if it means the expensive maintenance (cam belts etc...) has been recently completed rather than needed soon, i.e. if the service interval for the belts is 70k, I'd take an 80k example with the work done over a 60k example that needs it done in the next few months. I ignore prejudices, research the common faults and check the car out properly. The first two letters on the number plate do not impress me at all. I generally don't start out with a particular budget and salesmen hate me because I just tell them that I'll pay the right money for the right car rather than giving them a figure. I tend to sell my old car privately and be a cash buyer.

Spot on, I'm the same, I like saving the money that a person spends on the New Smell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

craichoe wrote: »
    Spot on, I'm the same, I like saving the money that a person spends on the New Smell :)

"New Smell" is €4.99 in Halfords :D
    Err what?
    I happen to like my 98 Avensis that will probably outlive the cockroaches. If lasting forever is bland and pointless then count me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Opel/Vauxhalls : just never liked them really. Never liked the (for me, overly high) seating position for a start.

Anything French or Italian : they should stick to what they do well .. food and fashion and leave complicated stuff like technology to the Northern Europeans.

Ssangyong : just too damn ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Simply list the carmakers that you will not, under any circumstances, give real consideration to buying a car from. List a reason if you wish.

One thing I am specifically leaving out of my list is super-carmakers and dedicated sports marques. Include these if you wish.

Ford: big car, built for 3 year olds.

Smart: .

Nissan: .

Opel: Utter crap.

Ssangyong: Not convinced.

BMW: too common and not worth the premium.

Citroen: sh1troen.

Peugeot: sh1troen's inbred half-sister.

Rover/MG: .

Audi: Overpriced VW.

Hyundai: Worst car marque on the road. They should not be allowed to make cars.

Proton: .

Kia: 7 year warranty does not convince.

Land Rover: I like trees.

Cadillac: I like trees X 2, and I like to be able to tell whether my wheels are in touch with the road.

Chrysler: See Cadillac.

Suzuki: Yet to come across a car well put together.

Daewoo: American vagueness?

Daihatsu: .

Perodua: .

Lexus: Toyota part's bin hand-me-downs, with a premium.

Mitsubishi: Nothing of note.

Bentley: Just look too brutish.

Rolls-Royce: See Bentley

----

I also will not buy any car that has not got twin reversing lights. Yes, I know: :rolleyes:. Twin rear foglights are a definite plus. :D

So that pretty much just leaves the car you currently own, by the looks of things either an Alfa or a Honda.

So the brand you now is the best brand availale and the rest of us are eejits.

Good thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Taking supercars out of the equation (Hagar's reason is the same for me), I think the only brand I wouldn't buy is one that only does SUVs, as I don't need one. Oh yeah, Mitsuoka would be a no-no. Apart from that, I would keep my options open.

That said, there are a few brands that have no models I like, but that's going by particular model, not some pre-conceived notion of the brand itself.
    craichoe wrote:
    Even the Dealer Dropped Rover at that point saying he had too many people coming back with MG's and Rovers he was selling.

This is something I always wondered about - I was under the impression that it's a marque that drops the dealership, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A dealer can walk away at the end of a contract period, generally.

he's dead right. you obviously have no idea what to look for when buying a new car.
    It's a bit ironic that anans remark was more insightful than any of yours in the OP...
    The op is obviously a troll no-one can be so uneducated when it comes to cars surely

I'm, quite frankly, amazed at these types of replies.

I start a thread, expressing my opinion and asking for others, with a semi-serious undertone. First post in I get called an 'idiot'; classy!

esel wrote: »
    OP, would it not be easier to list cars you would buy?

Probably right, but much less fun people glowing over the cars they like.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd like the OP to elaborate on Lexus and Hyundai in particular. Maybe he can educate me, as he seems to know what he's on about.

This thread is not about education, it is merely a diversion in the vast expanse of the internet.

I'm sure people will base their decisions on whether to buy a marque or not on different sources than this one thread. :rolleyes:

alias no.9 wrote: »

You and I have an almost identical approach to buying cars, although I do apply the list I posted to a forecourt of second-hand cars.

GreeBo wrote: »
    "New Smell" is €4.99 in Halfords :D

Err what?
    I happen to like my 98 Avensis that will probably outlive the cockroaches. If lasting forever is bland and pointless then count me in.

How long do cockroaches live? :p

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Opel/Vauxhalls : just never liked them really. Never liked the (for me, overly high) seating position for a start.

Anything French or Italian : they should stick to what they do well .. food and fashion and leave complicated stuff like technology to the Northern Europeans.

Ssangyong : just too damn ugly.

I forgot to put that in as a reason for Ssangyong.

I think only one of the common French/Italian marques made it into my list. It seems we almost have the same perceptions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement