Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cultural Geography

• 04-12-2007 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here study Cultural Geography???
    I'm doing it as my elective but fell a bit behind and have a few question.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

yup i did it last year

last year the exam was 100% of the marks whereas i think this year it's 50% so the paper structure will be different this year

anyway based on last year, the prominent themes in the course were....

landscapes and culture (contention that there are no secrets in the landscape)
    landscapes of power (power of state in cultural landscape)
    everyday landscapes (particularly landscapes relating to power, politics and identity)
    identity (race and gender)
    politics (inclusion, exclusion, resistance, conflict)
    representation of cultural geography (film, music, images, arts etc.)

unless the course has changed dramatically, landscape/culture and everyday landscapes could be your best bet if you're starting from scratch, there will almost certainly be something on them as they were the most comprehensive topics on the course that related to most of the other topics but you probably do need a good grounding on all aspects of the course to tackle these topics

either i'd imagine with the bare minimum and having done the 50% coursework you will pass but it is a difficult module to get a very good grade in

any questions just reply back!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

yup i did it last year

last year the exam was 100% of the marks whereas i think this year it's 50% so the paper structure will be different this year

anyway based on last year, the prominent themes in the course were....

landscapes and culture (contention that there are no secrets in the landscape)
    landscapes of power (power of state in cultural landscape)
    everyday landscapes (particularly landscapes relating to power, politics and identity)
    identity (race and gender)
    politics (inclusion, exclusion, resistance, conflict)
    representation of cultural geography (film, music, images, arts etc.)

unless the course has changed dramatically, landscape/culture and everyday landscapes could be your best bet if you're starting from scratch, there will almost certainly be something on them as they were the most comprehensive topics on the course that related to most of the other topics but you probably do need a good grounding on all aspects of the course to tackle these topics

either i'd imagine with the bare minimum and having done the 50% coursework you will pass but it is a difficult module to get a very good grade in

any questions just reply back!
    cheers, thanks for your reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

oh they are still running that course!! i did that a few years ago when i did geography. its mary gilmartins one yeah?

grand course, there is one book that covers all those themes, so just get that, they are even divided up into cha[ters that cover each section, gilmartin will expect essays that cover all that she doesin lectures( so that pretty much same as what is in the book) and a little extra reading.

youll find that book top of the reading list. actually i think its just called cultural geography, its got a purple and white cover.

grand course

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

oh they are still running that course!! i did that a few years ago when i did geography. its mary gilmartins one yeah?

grand course, there is one book that covers all those themes, so just get that, they are even divided up into cha[ters that cover each section, gilmartin will expect essays that cover all that she doesin lectures( so that pretty much same as what is in the book) and a little extra reading.

youll find that book top of the reading list. actually i think its just called cultural geography, its got a purple and white cover.

grand course

ideal. thanks

Advertisement