Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian O Doherty in the Irish Independent.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

cavedave wrote: »
    I heard Tinky Winky has converted to Islam.

I hope he does not start trying to brainwash kids into Sharia law.

The first sentence of that link was very funny. Shame about the rest.
    Also, I'll happily complain any day of the week about the editorial and opinion content of the Indo. It's consistently insular, willfully ignorant and often just plain stupid.

The independent doesn't have anything but editorial and opinion content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Nerin wrote: »
    have you read his articles before?
    he takes pot shots at everyone,thats the point.
    i didnt here anyone complaining when he had a potshot at paris hilton,or a potshot,more on topic,at the westboro baptist church.
    he gives out about everyone.
    thats the point.

He is a very poor writer imo. Very very lazy, I mean Jesus, he gets paid to write in a newspaper and that's all he comes up with?

I find him very irritating if I hear him on the radio or see him on TV, he comes across as being very self-satisfied and ironic. He should remain in the Student's Union.:pac:
    dvpower wrote: »
    He is Kevin Myers Lite.

Nail on the head, except that Myers is quite funny at times (or at least used to be funny). Whatshisface is pisspoor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The independent doesn't have anything but editorial and opinion content.

Harsh...true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Old thread is old. I still like ian o doherty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

I dont really think the point of the post was debating about the indo.

I read Ian the odd time and he can be hit and miss. This time I must say fair play to him this time for keeping the issue of women and Islam in the media. It is frightening what goes on and the lack of action to tackle it is pathetic.

• Advertisement

vinchick wrote: »
    I dont really think the point of the post was debating about the indo.

I read Ian the odd time and he can be hit and miss. This time I must say fair play to him this time for keeping the issue of women and Islam in the media. It is frightening what goes on and the lack of action to tackle it is pathetic.

Compared to violence against Women in Latin America and the plight of Women (and widows and lower caste women in particular) in India its all over the place. Dying down now though, as the Americans don't have a foriegn expedition to justify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

Nodin wrote: »
    Compared to violence against Women in Latin America and the plight of Women (and widows and lower caste women in particular) in India its all over the place. Dying down now though, as the Americans don't have a foriegn expedition to justify.

The situation in Latin America is terrifying. I did some work on raising awareness on that in back in the day and the extent of the violence is shocking and not talked about much at all. Prob because it is a constant and the media dont particulary like to keep talking about the same thing (unless its the doom and gloom of the recession). The violence in India has been reported on alot, I know Oprah (for all that you could say about her) did a very good expose on the practie of acid throwing in India if a woman rejects you, and the laws which can deny a woman access to her children in seperation cases. Pretty good stuff for daytime TV. There was also a very good one on domestic violence in India shown on TG4 a while ago, on Fiorsceal I think.

It happens everywhere and for many its much more managable to pick one practice and focus on that. Ian has picked the middle east it seems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Don't remember this article, but gosh:
    IOD wrote:
    No, my Muslim friend, it's your religion and your Sharia law I am criticising. It has nothing to do with the colour of your skin. And you know what? In a free democracy we still have the right to say things like that.
    With outrage like that to call upon, the man should put down his biro, get up out of his armchair and do something.

Would I be right in thinking he hasn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I can't stand The Indo and I can't stand Ian O' Doherty but I'll give it to him that he got it right in that article, but then even a stopped clock gets it right twice a day.

+1 he's a bit of a muppet but sometimes has a valid point.

Phototoxin wrote: »
    +1 he's a bit of a muppet but sometimes has a valid point.

Yes, but it tends to be after the fashion of a broken clock being sometimes correct..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

hence why I put '+1' as in 'I concur'

Advertisement