Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daytrading Stocks & Index Futures

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Article43

Although many will think this is an April fools joke - it is not!

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0401/mibusiness.html

Morning business news - April 1

Tuesday, 1 April 2008 08:04
    NEW GUIDELINES FOR PENSION MANAGERS - These are difficult investment times for anyone contributing to a pension fund. That is the backdrop for new guidelines from the Irish Association of Pension Funds on what should happen to a contributor's pension fund assets in the years before retirement.
    Usually - about five years before retirement - trustees move money out of equities into guaranteed income investments to protect the growth of the previous few decades.
    IAPF director of policy Jerry Moriarty says the new guidelines ask trustees to consider the needs of members and measure risk in relation to those needs, paying particular attention to those in the ten years before retirement.
    Advertisement

He says trustees should look at switching such people towards cash or safer investments in case there is a stock markets slump.
    Mr Moriarty says Irish pension funds are overweight in Irish shares, which have suffered badly from the stock market turbulence in recent months. A conference today will look at alternative investments such as climate change companies.

Anyone who allows others to control what happens to their hard earned money - well, gets exactly what they deserve - and to give control to a bunch of idiots, that hold on to shares when the market has completed a bull cycle, is, well, ignorance to the highest degree.

When are people going to realise that you no longer have to let others control your hard earned money - with modern day advancements in technologies, an individual can now have complete control over their own finances - one can invest in bonds, commodities, shares and derivatives, all from the comfort of their own home - and all from one account with a sinlge broker, if that is the approach one wants to take.

Of course, as with all things in life, some hard work is required on the part of the individual - no one ever made money doing nothing, although many seem to think the exact opposite - so the odds of most people taking control of their own finances is about the same as snow falling in the sahara desert - in the middle of its summer time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

Article43 wrote: »
    Anyone who allows others to control what happens to their hard earned money - well, gets exactly what they deserve - and to give control to a bunch of idiots, that hold on to shares when the market has completed a bull cycle, is, well, ignorance to the highest degree.
    Could you inform us in future when we have "completed a bull cycle"? Don't be shy about it, put it on the record.

In future I will inform you of very little - as you come across as one who seems to know everything already, and that is just from reading one post of yours!

Let’s do a little simple maths - if you run into problems with this any 4th class primary school student should be able to help you out.

The ISEQ index hit somewhere around 10K last year - maybe even higher, but as I don’t have much interest in such a controlled market my figures may be off a good bit.

It is now around 6.4K - it was lower than this recently, and it may still go even lower - but for now we will go with where it is now.

That is a decline of 3.6K - maybe even a bit more from the actual 12-18 mth high.

As per the 4th class pupil that gives:

10,000 / 3,600 = 100 / 36 = 1 / 36 or 36% decline.

Ah well, maybe I was wrong, this is only a correction, after all, I know that I know nothing about anything, as most seem to think that they know everything about everything

Listening to idiots who buy shares and hold on to them thru a 36% decline - well, all I will say is whoever does it, gets exactly what they deserve, but then again, this is the norm is it not, for if one wants to control their own finances it will require exercising the little spongy thing between ones two ears - and that would be a major calamity

Idiots will always be idiots if they continue to listen to idiots and take advice from idiots.

Ask someone who has recently had the privilege of cashing in their pension - ask them if they are enjoying the bull market that we are still in

There is a famous Irish word that sums it all up very nicely (and I think you know what "it all" means - and that is;

A Gombeen

As for Gombeens - look what they pay these idiots in the US to lose other peoples money :confused:

Equity Long / Short Analyst (to USD 800k), New York, NY
    04-01-2008
    $13b multi-strategy Hedge Fund. Equity Long/short Analyst to cover European OR Asian Real Estate and Infrastructure sectors. Buy side experience as an idea generating analyst, ability to speak Mandarin if covering Asia, and willingness to travel as the need arises.

And they even have a little elf for him to tot up those big losses - how considerate of them - but as it is someone elses money they are throwing away, they don't really give a damn - they will milk it for every penny they can get :rolleyes:

Middle Office Analyst (to USD 55k), Greenwich, CT
    03-27-2008
    Prestigious hedge fund. Prepare daily trader p&l; Review trader and firm currency and market exposure; Develop and test applications and pricing models. Recent grad w/related major and internships or someone with 6 months to 1 1/2 years experience at a financial institution.

• Advertisement

In future I will inform you of very little
    You've informed me of very little in the past. But then it's easy to hurl insults on the Internet isn't it? :)
    Listening to idiots who buy shares and hold on to them thru a 36% decline - well, all I will say is whoever does it, gets exactly what they deserve,
    Thanks for the remedial maths by the way! See, here's the problem I have with your good self. You are telling us that losing money is bad and I guess we'd all agree on that, yet you're talking about history. If I knew when the market was going to go up and when it was going to fall I'd make a fortune. Telling us that someone losing 36% is a bad thing isn't very useful information.

The US is up about 5% this week already. I don't remember you telling us that this was going to happen this week, now that would have been useful information (btw, doesn't really bother me I'm a buy a portfolio and hold type). You've arrived on this thread promising to educate us all after less than one years trading and I've seen many of your type come and go over the years even after they think they've figured out some "strategy". Remember the walk-in daytrading centres in the US that attracted thousands in the last 90s? Most of those people lost everything, yet for a short while they thought they were geniuses as they confused a rising market with their financial brilliance.

One of your posts advised people to "buy when shares are going up and sell when they are going down", all over the space of one day, which is a brilliant momentum strategy that has been proven not to work. You may have made it work over your experience of one year trading but based on the history of the countless number of speculators who have adopted this strategy it will eventually fail and you will lose heavily.

Now if you are truly special and you aren't just here to waffle and be a Monday morning quarterback wondering why people invested at the "end of a bull cycle" (it sounds very impressive, but I can make up financial phrases too), let's hear some predictions. Let us know where we are currently in this "cycle". Let us know whether the stock market is going to rise or fall over the next day, week, month & year. Let's face it, you have at least a 50% chance of being right purely through luck so the odds are very much on your side. We can return to this thread in the future and you can gloat.

The alternative is you can choose to ignore this and go on waffling and throwing out vaguely technical financial phrases, which I'm afraid may financially hurt any novice investor who might get the idea that you know what you are doing and follow your lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

You've informed me of very little in the past. But then it's easy to hurl insults on the Internet isn't it? :)

Yes -but only at those who ask for it ;)

Thanks for the remedial maths by the way! See, here's the problem I have with your good self. You are telling us that losing money is bad and I guess we'd all agree on that, yet you're talking about history. If I knew when the market was going to go up and when it was going to fall I'd make a fortune. Telling us that someone losing 36% is a bad thing isn't very useful information.

As expected, you can't read between the lines - trading is gambling and when one gambles one must understand risk and strategies that puts the odds in your favour. Predicting the markets is for amateurs - or for those who trade with other peoples money:rolleyes:

The US is up about 5% this week already.

So what - US shares go up and down every day, some go up/down quicker than others!

I don't remember you telling us that this was going to happen this week, now that would have been useful information (btw, doesn't really bother me I'm a buy a portfolio and hold type).

You really show your ignorance here.

You've arrived on this thread promising to educate us all after less than one years trading and I've seen many of your type come and go over the years even after they think they've figured out some "strategy".

I only help those that have a genuine interest - which as of now, I have not seen any on this site!

Remember the walk-in daytrading centres in the US that attracted thousands in the last 90s? Most of those people lost everything, yet for a short while they thought they were geniuses as they confused a rising market with their financial brilliance.

Idiots - the US likes to think and operate BIG - but most of them are idiots as are most people who trade the markets.

One of your posts advised people to "buy when shares are going up and sell when they are going down",

Well, er, yes - that is how one makes money:D

all over the space of one day,

YES

which is a brilliant momentum strategy that has been proven not to work.

Says who - YOU :rolleyes:

You may have made it work over your experience of one year trading

9 years actually - and anyone can make money, even a 6 year old if they understand risk control and use the simple strsta that puts the odds in your favor.

but based on the history of the countless number of speculators who have adopted this strategy it will eventually fail and you will lose heavily.

Says who - YOU :rolleyes:

Now if you are truly special and you aren't just here to waffle and be a Monday morning quarterback wondering why people invested at the "end of a bull cycle" (it sounds very impressive, but I can make up financial phrases too), let's hear some predictions.

Ignorance again :rolleyes:

Let us know where we are currently in this "cycle". Let us know whether the stock market is going to rise or fall over the next day, week, month & year. Let's face it, you have at least a 50% chance of being right purely through luck so the odds are very much on your side. We can return to this thread in the future and you can gloat.

I have done a simple swing trade that even a 6 year old can follow - and even held your hand all the way thru it - and you still show your ignorance every time you open your mouth :rolleyes:

The alternative is you can choose to ignore this and go on waffling and throwing out vaguely technical financial phrases, which I'm afraid may financially hurt any novice investor who might get the idea that you know what you are doing and follow your lead.

Anything I have said, if you care to READ it, is for the benefit of those who want to learn - boy, you really are A Gombeen :p

YOU must be one of these idiots :D

http://www.independent.ie/business/world/inm-upgraded-from-hold-to-buy-1335779.html

Pension funds fall in value by 11.4pc
    PENSIONS
    PRIVATE pension funds in Ireland fell in value by 11.4pc in the first quarter of this year as massive write-offs by international banks and the credit squeeze hit equity values. The Hewitt Managed Fund Index recorded a fall of 3.6pc for March. The fall of 11.4pc is the worst quarter for the Index since the third quarter of 2002 when there was a 12.2pc fall.

daveirl wrote: »

You also can't seem to read correctly - what is it with you guys:confused:

Maybe you are another one of the idiots that trade other peoples money.

Tell you what - lets see you and the walk fellow post a simple trade - you can pick any market / stock you like, and don't be afraid, no one will laugh at you if you lose - actually, I will be very impressed if you only lose a small amount.

Ye all accuse me of waffling - yet I am the only one posting trades, now that does not make sense does it? - but then again, paper never refuses ink, and as the walk fellow said, its very easy to post on an internet forum - but posting something of value is a rare thing - I do both, as it is necessary to deal with idiots in the manner that they are used too, for all they do is ruin things for those that have a genuine interest - something which I don't like about these silly forums.

If it is any help to you - you are not as bad as the walk fellow - he really is up there with the best;)

Equity Long / Short Analyst (to USD 800k), New York, NY
    04-01-2008
    $13b multi-strategy Hedge Fund. Equity Long/short Analyst to cover European OR Asian Real Estate and Infrastructure sectors. Buy side experience as an idea generating analyst, ability to speak Mandarin if covering Asia, and willingness to travel as the need arises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

YOU must be one of these idiots :D
    Maybe you are another one of the idiots that trade other peoples money.

The posters you addressed had the courtesy to stick by the forum rules. Please heed them the same respect.

Ibid

• Advertisement

What you, Athenian citizens, have undergone at the hands of my accusers, I don't know; As it is though, I almost forgot (€pelayñmhn) who I myself was, they were speaking so persuasively, and yet of the truth they have said, as it were, nothing.
    (Pl. Ap. 17a1-4)
    So Socrates begins the defense for his life. It is a straightforward, if not rather trite attack against his accusers that they have used clever, persuasive rhetoric to inflict injury on the Athenian citizen-judges. Even Socrates almost took leave of his senses, forgot who he was, and allowed them to define his person (most undemocratic conduct on their part). Socrates will have none of this:
    They, then, as I say, have said nothing or next to nothing that is true, but you will hear from me the whole truth ...
    (Pl. Ap. b6-8)
    Socrates will not take his arguments out to the beauty-parlor and have them made-up with a rhetor's words and phrases, but as befits his age-seventy years old--and experience--never before had he been brought before the court--he will tell the truth in order with whatever phrases occur to him naturally. He will speak as he has always spoken (Pl. Ap. 17b6-18a6).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Article43, have you come here for an argument?

I've told you once.
    Act 1, Scene 1

Prince: Rebellious subjects, enemies to peace,
    Profaners of this neighbour-stained steel,--
    Will they not hear?

Our love is no more. Thou art banish'd for seven days and seven nights.

"Systems" will never work on a consistent basis because if the system really did make money, market participants would use that system. As an example, there has been a "January effect" in the past so trading systems now take this into account and any advantage has been eliminated. The market is the smartest, fastest and most ruthless learning machine ever invented.

So, if systems don't work, what is the best return an average investor can hope to make? Unless you're a superb stock picker (and everyone thinks they are when they start and until they get a little wiser), the best return an average investor can hope to make* is that return produced by that most ferocious learning machine ever, in other words the market return. Once you've figured that out and you realise that there are easy to use vehicles which will allow you to achieve the market return, the only variable an investor should be thinking about is the one they can control - fees.

* ignoring actively managed funds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

daveirl wrote: »

Article43 calling you and anyone else an idiot was unacceptable. He has been dealt with. So everyone, lets get back on topic here...

Advertisement