Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLO hairdressers?

• 04-12-2007 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Any one see this "sign" that was in the window last week or is it the Balbriggan rumour mill in full swing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Surely if it was up then someone would have snapped it and it would be doing the rounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭clg23

heard about it but yet to find someone who seen it first hand, so I think the brig rumour mill has been in operation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

well I heard from two sources who are in my opinion as reliable as any I could hear from, that it was indeed up in the window but was removed. One of the sources is a shop owner on the same street. So Im certain it was up, just not for how long or who asked for it to be removed. apparently it was up because of "lack of time" for the "extra" business. Even still, highly offensive manner of informing people. But yeah Im pretty much 100% certain it was up, just wanted to hear if anyone had seen it for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

What's this about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tbh wrote: »
    What's this about?
    +1!

• Advertisement

This may be removed but apparently there was a sign in the window of the shop saying "no whites"

yep. I don't see why the post should be removed in fairness. Your just stating that 'allegedly' the sign was there. hardly being racist or inciteing anything. I guess you have be so careful what you say these days. I'm pretty certain it was there as I said above. For whatever reason I found it to be offensive (and illegal) to use such a sign in a window of any shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

100gSoma wrote: »
    well I heard from two sources who are in my opinion as reliable as any I could hear from, that it was indeed up in the window but was removed.
    If as per your original post you hear from these reliable sources that it was there last week then it is incorrect, this rumor has been doing the rounds since the end of October.

I'm going to pop into Flo's to see what they can do with my mop, I'll be putting on fake tan this evening just in case.

haha.. very humorous son.

but seriously, I heard of this last week is what I meant. I did not hear the particular date the sign was seen, just that it was true and it was up there for a time. I guess I incorrectly assumed it was last week because I heard it this weekend. thats my bad. Still, I stand by the principle of the OP that its not a nice sign. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Well, we moved on from "no irish" anyway :)

• Advertisement

I have to say it sounded to me like a load of bull made up by someone as a joke then it spread. There are plenty of people in balbriggan who would love it to be true as a further excuse to be racist...

I have overheard people talking about how they free cars off the government.

Someone should go in and see if they will cut your hair or maybe put it in dreadlocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Well considering I know someone who is white and goes there regularly I find this very hard to believe.

Good old Balbriggan rumour mill. Never fails to amuse me.

clg23 wrote: »
    I have to say it sounded to me like a load of bull made up by someone as a joke then it spread. There are plenty of people in balbriggan who would love it to be true as a further excuse to be racist...

I have overheard people talking about how they free cars off the government.

Why are there plenty of people in balbriggan who would 'love a further excuse to be racist'? seriously? I don't understand that attitude?
    Well, they don't get free cars as such clg, but they do get a grant to buy a car and cover tax. Anyone who works in a credit union/bank can tell you that.
    There is also free accommodation, exceptional needs payments, child benefit, free health care etc. Not to mention that the rent is paid on that hairdressers in an effort to help get the business up and running. Everyone in this country has a SUPER fear of benig branded racist just for questioning anything involving anyone who is not white Irish catholic. Whats the big fear? If I say Im not happy about the guy selling cars from the customer parking in the train station I am immediately branded a racist. Why? If I say Im not happy about the accommodation grants to asylum seekers, I am racist. Why? Can I not just be unhappy that non-Irish citizens can avail of free accommodation when we have so many citizens struggling to try and move out of home and get that same independence. Can I not feel this way without being just an uneducated xenophobic git? Everyone in this country is afraid to have an opinion. If I say that a lot of the asylum drivers over here are very bad on the roads and don't seem to have any road sense, I'm racist. Its overboard over the top PC crap. I still find it amazing though. For every one person who says something that could mildly be inferred as racist, there are 10 people ready to cry "racist!".

100gSoma wrote: »
    Can I not just be unhappy that non-Irish citizens can avail of free accommodation when we have so many citizens struggling to try and move out of home and get that same independence.

yeah, I think it was obvious you were unhappy about immigration into Ireland in general when you posted in this thread first, and the topic was well-suited to what you wanted to say. I disagree strongly with you, however, you're entitled to your opinion and that whole discussion is for another thread anyway. I will say this tho, the statement you've made above is simply not true - asylum seekers are entitled to very very little in this country, a basic accomodation grant (I don't fancy living in Mosney - do you?) and a subsistance payment of €20 per week. Citizens of this country are entitled to far more than that, and it's not fair to say - or to imply - that asylum seekers are taking bread out of the mouths of Irish citizens because it's simply not true.

On a side note, it's obvious that no-one on the thread has actually seen the sign for themselves, so all we're dealing with is rumour now.

Hey tbh. I won't deny, that unlike you, I am indeed not happy with the governments failure to have a viable immigration policy. However, if you read the thread again you will see that I did not bring up the 'people would love it to be true' racism card. And I take umbrage to the fact your trying to imply I said "asylum seekers take the bread from irish mouths". I did not say that. I mentioned free healthcare and other expenses etc :( There is no need for that nonsense talk which in itself is polemic. People don't like to mention anything to do with immigration reform, because it implies something might be wrong. and if you think that your racist. That sums up why I won't be drawn on this topic.
    Fair enough, nobody saw the sign. It was probably a rumour started by 'someone like me'. :rolleyes: :p

don't get me wrong soma, I know we've disagreed on this before, but I'm realistic in my views - I'm never going to change your mind, and you'll never change mine :) I'm sure we'd get on in real life, so I'm not going to start any arguments about this one topic. But you did say "Can I not just be unhappy that non-Irish citizens can avail of free accommodation when we have so many citizens struggling to try and move out of home and get that same independence." Which I took to imply that the reason Irish people find it hard, is because of the immigrants. apols if I took that up wrong, I find a lot of people think that way, and just wanted to point out that it's not true :) I also wouldn't accuse you of making up that rumour, but you have to admit - there are plenty in the country who would pass it off as gospel, even if they hadn't seen it themselves.

Asylum seekers are not given any housing allowance/car allowance/rent supplement - asylum seekers get €19 a week and are given accomodation in mosney or in a hostel somewhere they dont get child benefit or any of that anymore.

They receive the rent allowance etc now if they are granted permission to remain in Ireland which is now quite hard to get. If they get this they are then entitled to the same allowances as Irish people (that is my understanding of it anyway). I agree that a large amount arrived here as economic migrants but I think the loopholes are now mostly closed.

Back to the original topic - I would think this is another rumour like the one about the black woman getting on a bus with a buggie cant fold it down/driver wont wait so she leaves it saying that social will get her a new one (how many friends of friends were on that bus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

yeah I heard that one two.
    I have to say Racism works both ways.Its not right for anyone to have a sign saying no..blacks...whites or what ever...I even hate the signs that say no prams....Ok small shops but for god sake, let us in to spend our money.
    I have seen first hand , a person jumped in and call someone racist for arguing with them over money.The black guy shouted at her she was a Racist, This woman wasn't she was doing her job.But like the other poster said.Immideately it was said she was a racist. I stayed until the Garda where called .
    anyway.My son does BYAR, Balbriggan Youth Against Racism, .For which I am proud of him.He would never allow a person be abused , bullied or excluded becasue of their colour.Be that colour Black or white.
    cathy

Advertisement