Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS for Campers or Vans - need antenna?

Options
  • 04-12-2007 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

I know the newer GPS receivers using the Sirf StarIII chips are giving incredible reception indoors and in tough locations. So good in fact that the Garmin 2XX series don't even have flip-out antennae. However - what about say in a camper or a van/truck, where there is a lot of metal sheeting behind and above you - cutting off a lot of sky? My original plan was to have an external antenna, probably mounted on the roof, and connected via the usual Garmin antenna socket - except these newer ones don't HAVE any connector!
    Any experience out there?
    Anybody know if there are antennae that can be placed externally and re-radiate inside the cab or something?
    Thanks, db.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Where I work, the lads have a Nuvi 300 in a Luton bodied Transit (body comes out over the cab like in a camper) and have no problems with the satnav mounted on the windscreen with the standard sucker attachment. Normally has full bars of sat coverage....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Thanks for that. Yes it's the Luton bit that had me worried.
    I'd still feel happier if I had an antenna that could see the whole sky.
    db.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

My Dad has a camper and never has any problems with reception on his Garmin... (I just presumed the machine was strong enough or at least the window was given enough signal space?)

Advertisement