Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1911 Census released

• 04-12-2007 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

You can now see the 1911 census online... it's pretty cool... you can search by first name, surname or both...

Sounds boring but is interesting!

Print one out and give it to your granny in a frame! cheapest crimbo pressie ever!

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Class

edit to say, load of crap, seems to be Dublin only..........booooooooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Only available for Dublin County

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Lol, I'd say not many people from 1911 are still around today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1911....was my granny even alive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Im not on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Move to Dublin forum :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yes, Dublin is the first one. Found someone I know of in Haroldsgrange (where??) in Rathfarnham - he lists his religion sternly as 'Rationalist'. Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Thats actually pretty cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

wow that's amazing, havent found anyone I know yet but picked a random name of a dude living round where I live and he lived with his 3 female servants!!! How mad! :D Thanks for the link!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I think I found some relations, have to confirm dates of birth, he's down as "Head of family" wifes occupation "domestic duties" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I'd prefer to see one from around the 1920s or 1930s.

Pal wrote: »

How do you know that exactly?

Ha, the last column:

If Deaf and Dumb;
    Dumb only;
    Blind;
    Imbecile or Idiot;
    Lunatic.

Ahh..it was a simpler time! I'm going to try and find a lunatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

That's pretty cool. I think I may have found my great grandfather. I'm not sure though, I'll have to confirm his name with my mum. My dad is Welsh and he's done a lot of research into that side of the family because more info is up online. He's gone back a good bit and some of the stuff is really interesting. One of my relatives was arrested for bigamy, I thought that was pretty cool!

I'd really like to see the 1931 census and work back from that though. Surely it would make more sense to puclish more recent ones first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

everything is backwards in this country, so no point in changing it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

watna wrote: »
    I'd really like to see the 1931 census and work back from that though. Surely it would make more sense to puclish more recent ones first?
    The FOI Act put a limit on how long census data should remain private, so they're limited in what they can put up. I'm not sure what the actual limitation is though, may be 75 years or so.

seamus wrote: »
    The FOI Act put a limit on how long census data should remain private, so they're limited in what they can put up. I'm not sure what the actual limitation is though, may be 75 years or so.

bah, humbug!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

watna wrote: »

I think there's some law that they have to wait a certain amount of years untill the census becomes public. As far as I know when the 1911 was released, it was released early because the previous one was mostly destroyed. I might be wrong about that though)

Edit: Seamus got there before me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Great link, thanks! Found both my maternal Grandparents on it... didn't actually know that my Great Grandfather had a servant!!! :eek: I come from a line of exploiters!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Can we merge this thread with the Ideal immigration policy thread and then if you cant find a direct descendant on that pack your bags and leave Dublin today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I found my great-great grandparents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

thats really cool,i just found my great grandfather and grandmother!

I had a look around the national archive site and you can see the database of Irish people transportated to Australia. It's quite interesting. I just typed in a common name and loads of people came up. Most were sent for stealing sheep. One guy got life transportation for "administering unlawful oaths". i wonder what that was!

Tis all ver interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I see that Eamon De Valera was Edward De Valera at that time. He also had a 25 year-old female servant who couldn't read or write. I wonder whether he was bothered about her illiteracy, or even tried to help her get to grips with reading and writing, he being concerned with improving the quality of life of the Irish people. Perhaps I'm just being cynical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shouldn't all the Irish rebels be on it somewhere too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

ScumLord wrote: »
    Shouldn't all the Irish rebels be on it somewhere too?

I only found Thomas MacDonagh's form. There are probably more somewhere.

• Advertisement

yeah, thats Douggie alright!

Advertisement