Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1911 Census released

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was on that site for hours last night, the pictures and stories about life then are cool, and i found my great granfather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That is class ! A bit wierd seeing your great grandfathers handwriting on the internet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

LadyJ wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see one from around the 1920s or 1930s.

There wasn't another one until the 1920s and the Free State; I assume that's next on the list - or rather, second-next, as the other counties in the 1911 census will be brought online next.

1911 would have been 32-county, whereas the post-partition censuses would be 26-county.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i found my great grandparents and great or grand not sure which aunt/uncles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

free st8 4 lyf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is THE James joyce there?
    There are about 10 James Joyces on there. I don't know which, if any are the writer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭interlocked

The first census in Ireland was taken in 1821 and every 10 years afterwards. So, the first three were incredibly important documnts as they recorded the population pre famine. The 1851 census was as important because it would have provide a detailed survey of post famine changes on an area and family basis. If you compare the 1838 OS maps to the 1850's Griffiths Valuation, you'll see instantly how many dwellings are literally wiped away in the Famine and subsequent emigration. To make matters worse the State didn't start recording Births Deaths and Marriages until 1864.

The census returns from 1821-1851 were stored in the Public Records Archive in the Four Courts.

The 1861-1891 returns were pulped in subsequent years,

When the Four Courts were shelled at the start of the Civil War. a shell hit the records depository in the middle of a courtyard and blew it up, I think the rebels may have stored ammo in it. Ernie O'Malley who was in the Four Courts when it happened, later wrote in his book, The Singing Flame that there was a deluge of paper and parchment raining down on the area in the aftermath, he grabbed one piece of paper as it was floating down, and it was a list of infomers in the 1798 uprising. The irony was savage.

At any rate that explosion was probably the single most devastating loss of historical data in the country's history. Material dating back to the medieval period was lost.

Some census returns remains for some counties like Laois and Offaly and some of the northern counties, but for the majority, the earliest surviving is the 1901 Census. Census returns are held from release under the 100 Year rule, but because of the peculiar circumstances, some years ago, the Government released the 1901 and 1911 returns much earlier, an intriguing anomaly because if I recall, the same years were still under lock and key in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Blisterman wrote: »
    There are about 10 James Joyces on there. I don't know which, if any are the writer.

Joyce left Dublin in 1904, he visited Ireland very little after that and made his last visit in 1912. he died in Zurich in 1941.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Blisterman wrote: »
    The banner image on the site shows James Joyce's form :)

Except, it would appear that one's from the 1901 census. James Joyce lived in Treiste in 1911, so he wouldn't be on the census.

God bless wikipedia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Such a class site, found my great-grandfather...turns out they had 3 servants living in the house.

Can't find anybody from my dads side, coz my grandad was adopted from England so his family won't be there and my Nana is from the country.

Apparently they're releasing the cencus from the rest of the country over the next yea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I found my great grandfather on my father's side and as I didn't know a huge amount about him I was delighted to fill in a few blanks in the family history. Back in about 1985 I went to the Public Record Office and found my mother's family in the 1901 census so the records were available that far back. At the time my grandfather was still alive and he was amazed to hear details of his own grandfather's life. What amazes me is the whole range of jobs that people did that just don't exist now-carter,loco fireman etc. One of my grandfather's brothers was a loco fireman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cool :) Found my mother's grandfather and his wife, and their son (my grandfather's brother).

My great great grandfather was a satirical lyricist, so I have copies of some of his work.
    Everyone on that side of the family has truly awful handwriting and his is just the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

This site is cool. I went to a boarding school so I decided to look up and see who was in the school then, and I found the census records for it, with all the boarders and teachers there. I foud out the boys lived right near the school but the girls lived a 10 minute walk away in a completely different street. Very interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Still searching for my grandad. Problem is my surname was so common in the south inner city back then that i have to trawl through all the matching returns to find the right person, especially made harder when i didn't know his age!
    That said, i know others who found theirs easily, lucky buggers!

watna wrote: »
    One guy got life transportation for "administering unlawful oaths". i wonder what that was!

Signing people up as members of a secret society to resist bullying landlords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cool site. I managed to find all my grandparents - all under 10 at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Well done to everyone who found someone they know, if you feel like donating to my personal charity for the egocentrics, you can send me money by paypal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I have a pretty uncommon surname and i managed to find my great grandmother who I knew since she lived to a very old age.
    She was a servant, as were some of her sisters. Classy.
    Weird seeing someone I remember listed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

found my granfather who was 3 months old at the time!

Mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

i found my nanny, but am very confused, as we always new her sister as maureen and I find her name on the census is Mary Ann.
    Its great to see this. Cant wait to show my dad. My Nanny and Grandad grew up on the same street so It is nice to see this as well!!!

Thanks a million for putting this up!!

I only found Thomas MacDonagh's form. There are probably more somewhere.

Look closely. He has stated no religion, but the baffled census officer has put a line up to this and written "RC?"

If you look for others in the area, you'll see that his friend the scientist David Houston, whose lodge he was renting, has put himself down as "Rationalist".

Here's Eamonn Ceannt: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/New_Kilmainham/Herberton_Lane/58017/ - beautifully written in the old Irish calligraphy - and Thomas Ashe: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Balbriggan_Rural/Darcystown/676/ and Thomas Clarke: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Drumcondra/St__Patrick_s_Road/28246/; Muriel and Grace Gifford who married Tomas MacDonagh and Joseph Plunkett, and their sisters Helen and Sidney, are here: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rathmines___Rathgar_East/Palmerston_Road/40039/

Padraig Pearse, also in Haroldsgrange, and writing the entry in the old Irish script used then: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Whitechurch/Haroldsgrange/57855/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

luckat wrote: »
    Look closely. He has stated no religion, but the baffled census officer has put a line up to this and written "RC?"

RC would be Roman Catholic no?

It would. The returning officer obviously couldn't deal with the concept of someone who didn't declare a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

luckat wrote: »
    The concept of "No religion" was even more foreign then than now. There are still people today who have trouble understanding the concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

I found Padraig Pearse's one earlier. He's 31 at that time (type in his Irish name). Unusual handwriting I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Personally i find it facinating, the amount of people to a household was staggering in some cases, the conditions most have been harsh.

The professions of the time is also interesting....stable-hand, ropemaker, cooper, chimney-sweep, merchant banker etc.

I notice for the children some put down scholar.

Love the bit at the end for..lunatic, imbecile, idiot...esp considering the Dublin of today is full of them.

Wonder did Matt Talbot put himself down as a lunatic;)

Advertisement