Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1911 Census released

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Found my grandmothers family, she was 2.5 at the time. Interesting to see the type of house they lived in and the families they shared the house with.

Its a fascinating site and I've enjoyed randomly browsing through it. Can't seem to find any census returns for guests staying in hotels (Gresham/Shelbourne etc) perhaps they weren't required to submit them or perhaps the archives didn't included them for release to the public.

Its interesting to see the amount of mistakes and crossed out entries that people have made, even highly educated people misread the census instructions and needed to correct parts of it.

EDIT: Found the Gresham, including "Boarders": http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mountjoy/Sackville_Street__Upper/28883/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Casimir Markiewicz (though he spells his surname slightly differently) is there as a "boarder" in a hotel on Stephen's Green too, but not Constance; I had expected to find them in Leinster Road, but maybe they weren't living there then. Of course, she may have been there, but like other women suffragists, refused to co-operate with the census, which treated them as dependents.

What a temporary world is glimpsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Me and my dad found my great-grandmother and great-grandfather's families on it the other night. They were only 8 and 6 years old at the time. It was fascinating stuff.

You get a real sense of the high number of child mortalities at the time too as both my great grandmother and great-grandfather's families had young 'uns who had died.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Great site. A friend sent me the link today and I've been browsing through it all day.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rotunda/Ryder_s_Row/38125/

This guy had his 2 & 4 year old daughters as well as his wife down as Labourers. Jaysis, times was tough back then!!! :D

Another thing that's worth noting is that you only have to go a couple of miles outside the city centre and most of the land is farmland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement